The team that should be selected for rd 1 and why

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lillchip

Reserve Grader
MY STARTING TEAM ROUND 1:

1. Koula
- huge talent, needs to be blooded, give him 3-4 games and see how he goes
2. Saab - height and speed are the two vital things we've been badly missing for years
3. Walker - currently the 3rd best 5/8, so it's last chance saloon, I'd give him 3 games max or he's out
4. Suli - could be better than Joey Luilua if he stays away from Maccas
5. Tuipulotu - size and speed
6. Schuster - huge talent needs to be given the 6 permanently
7. DCE - please, no slo mo sideways runs + predictable pass inside to Siro
8. Paseka - as Gus kept saying in late 2020 once he realises how big he is anything is possible
9. Cust - until Fainu is back
10. Taupau - with no AFB needs to re assert his no.1 position and get the big metres back
11. Siro - here's hoping his only runs aren't the predictable slow mo inside ball from DCE
12. Olakau-atu - time to unleash the still extremely untapped potential
13. Jake T - defence best in country, but needs to improve the slightly powder puff runs

BENCH:
14. Foran
- 2 x 10-15 min bursts will benefit both his body and the team
15. Aloiai - the enforcer we need to replace AFB
16. Keppie - keep improving
17. Gosiewski - super versatility back row or centre if needed

FORWARD RESERVES:
18. Sipley - hopefully over the injuries and ready to resume the great potential shown in 2019
19. Davey - unknown in reality, if better than no. 19 could take the 17 or 12 jerseys
20. Boyle - injury cover
21. Fainu - straight to no. 9 when he's back
22. Saddler - needs time

BACK RESERVES:
22. Funa - many will disagree with no being in the 17, but does he look like a FB or winger from a top 4-6 team? No
23. Garrick - tries hard but is he a better winger than Saab or Parker? Again no. And goal kicking not good enough either
24. Harper - handy back up centre or FB
25. Parker - on advice from good replies here swapped out with Tuipulotu
26. Taufua - can't possibly be ahead of anyone else listed for a wing spot with no speed or height plus wanting in defence
27. Croker - even with Fainu out behind Cust and Foran for a dummy half spot
28. Ben T - need to see if he's ready for 1st grade

(not sure who else makes up the top 30, anyone know?)

THE GLARING ISSUES:
Aside from the obvious Tom T problem, we seem to have scarily thin forward reserves unless some of the unknown names in Sunday's trial are ready to come through. Feels like we are short a Shaun Lane (why did we let him go again?) And as for goal kicker, please tell me it's not back to DCE or Walker, can anyone else kick?

SUMMARY:
The biggest thing for me is to stop the safe old selections that will not get us into the 8 let alone higher. ie Jorge, Boyle, Croker etc. Des must resist the stubborn past. We must select big talent like Koula, Schuster, Olakau-atu. Just look at where Penrith have gone with Crichton, Staines etc. Plus Injury/stand down permitting, a spine of Tom T; Schuster; DCE; Fainu/Foran could be as good as any other team.

Last edited:
The side you have suggested is close , but do think Des will go with Foran and Parker won't be on the wing

Close but no go on Parker at wing

1. Koula/Harper/Funa (Not happy with any of them really)
2. Saab
3. Walker

4. Suli
5. Tuipulotu
6. Foran
7. DCE
8. Aloiai
9. Cust
10. Taupau
11. Siro
12. Olakau-atu
13. Jake T

BENCH:
14. Schuster
15. Aloiai
16. Keppie
17. Davey

2. Saab
3. Walker
4. Suli
5. Tuipulotu
6. Foran
7. DCE
8. Aloiai
9. Cust
10. Taupau
11. Siro
12. Olakau-atu
13. Jake T

BENCH:
14. Schuster
15. Aloiai
16. Keppie
17. Davey

Thanks Simmo, as you'll see I agreed with the comments and swapped out Parker for Tuipulotu. I don't see the value of Schuster on the bench though given he only covers 5/8. I realise Foran could in theory go to 9 if Schuster comes on, but that's a huge ask for Foran's already ailing body. Surely it's Schuster's time!

Close... just slip Parker, Funa, Garrick, Foran and GoJetSki back into the starting side and remove Koula, Saab, Tuipolotou and Olakatau altogether = Des's 17....

Imo this will be the team come round 1.
1. Funa
2. Saab
3. Suli
4. Walker
5. Garrick
6. Foran
7. Cherry
8. Paseka
9. Cust
10. Marty
11. Jetski
12. Siro
13. Jake

14. Brit
15. Aloiai
16. Keppie
17. Olakau'atu or Davey

There is no way cust can play 80 at hooker. Thats what i believe the team will be unless Harper shines at the back on Sunday. Or Des will use Foran to replace cust and Schuster will come off the bench. But i don't see Foran playing hooker

1. Koula
2. Saab - height and speed are the two vital things we've been badly missing for years
3. Walker - currently the 3rd best 5/8, so it's last chance saloon, I'd give him 3 games max or he's out
8. Paseka - as Gus kept saying in late 2020 once he realises how big he is anything is possible
10. Taupau - with no AFB needs to re assert his no.1 position and get the big metres back
11. Siro - here's hoping his only runs aren't the predictable slow mo inside ball from DCE
13. Jake T - defence best in country, but needs to improve the slightly powder puff runs

BENCH:
14. Foran

FORWARD RESERVES:
18. Sipley - hopefully over the injuries and ready to resume the great potential shown in 2019
19. Davey - unknown in reality, if better than no. 19 could take the 17 or 12 jerseys
20. Boyle - injury cover
22. Saddler - needs time

BACK RESERVES:
22. Funa - many will disagree with no being in the 17, but does he look like a FB or winger from a top 4-6 team? No
23. Garrick - tries hard but is he a better winger than Saab or Parker? Again no. And goal kicking not good enough either
26. Taufua - can't possibly be ahead of anyone else listed for a wing spot with no speed or height plus wanting in defence

THE GLARING ISSUES:
Aside from the obvious Tom T problem, we seem to have scarily thin forward reserves unless some of the unknown names in Sunday's trial are ready to come through. Feels like we are short a Shaun Lane (why did we let him go again?) And as for goal kicker, please tell me it's not back to DCE or Walker, can anyone else kick?

SUMMARY:
The biggest thing for me is to stop the safe old selections that will not get us into the 8 let alone higher. ie Jorge, Boyle, Croker etc. Des must resist the stubborn past. We must select big talent like Koula, Schuster, Olakau-atu. Just look at where Penrith have gone with Crichton, Staines etc. Plus Injury/stand down permitting, a spine of Tom T; Schuster; DCE; Fainu/Foran could be as good as any other team.
Straight to the Top of the class for this selector - great side I reckon and looking at the list of depth, we have a stronger Manly squad than I have seen for a while...

1. Koula

BENCH:
14. Foran

FORWARD RESERVES:
20. Boyle - injury cover
22. Saddler - needs time

BACK RESERVES:

THE GLARING ISSUES:

SUMMARY:
Good team line up

Barring any more injuries, I can see Des going this way.....

FB - Tevita Funa
WG - Jason Saab
CE - Moses Suli
CE - Dylan Walker
WG - Reuben Garrick
FE - Kieran Foran
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans
PR - Taniela Paseka
HK - Cade Cust
PR - Martin Taupau
SR - Jack Gosiewski
SR - Curtis Sironen
LK - Jake Trbojevic

Bench - Josh Shuster, Josh Aloiai, Sean Keppie, Andrew Davey

Barring any more injuries, I can see Des going this way.....

FB - Tevita Funa
WG - Jason Saab
CE - Moses Suli
CE - Dylan Walker
WG - Reuben Garrick
FE - Kieran Foran
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans
PR - Taniela Paseka
HK - Cade Cust
PR - Martin Taupau
SR - Jack Gosiewski
SR - Curtis Sironen
LK - Jake Trbojevic

Bench - Josh Shuster, Josh Aloiai, Sean Keppie, Andrew Davey
I reckon Keppie needs a big start to the year. I'm not sure he suits the new rules and went backwards big time last year. He's our forward version of Garrick. Both probably deserve a chance to start the season but far from guaranteed beyond that!

Last edited:
Gos

2. Saab
3. Walker
4. Suli
5. Tuipulotu
6. Foran
7. DCE
8. Aloiai
9. Cust
10. Taupau
11. Siro
12. Olakau-atu
13. Jake T

BENCH:
14. Schuster
15. Aloiai
16. Keppie
17. Davey
Gossie will be in the side - at least on the bench - but I’d love Ola to be in the run on side.

Last edited:
Straight to the Top of the class for this selector - great side I reckon and looking at the list of depth, we have a stronger Manly squad than I have seen for a while...
Hmmm not really we have no hookers and no fullbacks. 2019 we had a better squad and 2018. Just too many injuries. Webhqve better centers now and backline depth. No afb will be massive

1. Koula

BENCH:
14. Foran

FORWARD RESERVES:
20. Boyle - injury cover
22. Saddler - needs time

BACK RESERVES:

THE GLARING ISSUES:

SUMMARY:
Fantastic side and great post.

Thanks Simmo, as you'll see I agreed with the comments and swapped out Parker for Tuipulotu. I don't see the value of Schuster on the bench though given he only covers 5/8. I realise Foran could in theory go to 9 if Schuster comes on, but that's a huge ask for Foran's already ailing body. Surely it's Schuster's time!

Thanks Lillchip. It's definitely Schuster's time!!! I see Schuster's bench value a little differently. Obviously at 5/8 but also covering back row and centre, and potentially fullback as well. Foran will have to step into dummyhalf from time to time. If Foran can't play an effective dual role in the team, he mightn't last the season in the 17.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2