The team left broken by NRL halves transfer circus

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I'm keen to give one of our young halves a chance. I'd also get one of our smarter forwards, like Jake Trbojevic, to practice long kicks and grubbers over the off season. I remember Glenn Stewart setting up a ripper of a long distance try with a grubber behind the line in the 2011 grand final. Would be nice to have a forward who could take pressure off the halves late in a set.
Ah the gifty grubber to robbo what a play. Genius i believe gussy boy said. He was one of the best old gift

The idea is to party like it’s 2011, come 2018. DCE is the known quantity (a la Foran back then) and Hastings (presumably) is the new ‘DCE’.

Alternately, Hodko returns for a swansong and with something to prove. Plus he can kick goals and FGs. So can Hastings.

Every cloud has a silver lining.:)
Picked up a ‘Dislike’ from desgirlsgermsnoreturns.

That’s the last time I use a smiling emoticon.

The idea that we're "broken" is nuts.

Green was no better than an average NRL half. People only think he was good because they're comparing him to the Walker at 5/8 experiment. Green's strength was game management. But he added little to our attack and he was a key component of our biggest defensive weakness - the left edge.

Adding a new 5/8, even a young and untested guy, is not going to be a disaster just because it's not Green. Green did the job the team needed him to do, somewhat capably, but he was hardly setting the world on fire. Who knows what Croker or Hastings could be after a full pre-season and half a season building in to the 5/8 role. DCE and Foran were both untested and they both made the top grade their own very quickly.

The other variable that is being almost completely neglected in these calculations is the age of our squad. We have a very young team that is getting better for their experiences every year, and the fact that we haven't made any big moves on the player market is, I think, a testimony to the fact that we have young players who are increasing in value and whose best is in front of them. I'd hate to have bought a player like Pearce only to turn around and lose one of the Turbos or some of our 20's.

We're in a great position right now - a basically settled core of the squad, with $800,000 left in the cap to grab some depth or plug some holes.

Too old. No pace. Injury prone.
Hi Eaglesal. Just to clarify, I was actually referring to whether there is truth to Hastings being unpopular in the squad / whether he's on the outer with staff.. So I gather you are referring to hodkinson in your comments because it pretty much sums him up.

With Cronk and Thurston's retirement from rep footy, DCE is a big chance for SOO next year.

Sorry to disagree with you but personally I think DCE's Origin career is over and he'll only ever get picked if they have an injury crisis.

This year they showed their hand when despite him at the time being the form halfback of the NRL, they still picked Milford, Munster and Hunt in front of him. And Hunt was only a few weeks past having been dropped by Bennett to Qld Cup.

Cherry's Origin career died the day he backflipped and decided to stay in Sydney with Manly rather than go to the Qld based Titans. To those hillbillies that was treason, he didn't just turn his back on the Titans but he turned his back on Queensland. And sadly that will severely harm his chances of ever getting another Kangaroos jumper.

Last edited:
The main thing i dont like about the Trent signing isn't that he wont be able to do the job, its probably just a bandage for one more year like the green signing. Dce has played with a different halves partner every year for the past few years and the combinations have to keep getting rebuilt . Crocker could be the long term option, maybe hastings or seems could be on the outer. Brock Lamb is the best fit long term imo, already showed raw talent in a wooden spoon side smashed every week. In a better side coached by baz and playing with some stars around him he would improve out of site. Plus i like his attitude on the field. Newcastle not releasing atm but off contract in 2018. Sign him and cordner in 2018.

Why we let Green out of his contract without Pearce's signature I can't fathom. Whoever made that decision needs a good kicking.

from the Roy Masters article

Green's uncooperative behaviour at Manly, before his release, surprised the club where he was very popular.

Talent wise I think Hastings should get first crack at it, and he would solve our goal kicking problems. The problem is that his attitude seems to rub people the wrong way and he doesn't look like being the one.

Why is everyone convinced Cletus is a gun goal kicker. He's kicked 29 from 35. At least two of those hit the post and squeaked in. They miss and he's on 27 from 35 and kicking at 77%. That's not solving a goal kicking problem convincingly in my eyes.

1. ReadingThePlay‏ @ReadingThePlay 2h2 hours ago

“I have two very good young halves here in Croker and Jackson Hastings.” c/ Barrett. Yep, Hastings is going that good we've rung every club at least 3 times across the last 3 months trying to unload him...
    1f636.png

Why is everyone convinced Cletus is a gun goal kicker. He's kicked 29 from 35. At least two of those hit the post and squeaked in. They miss and he's on 27 from 35 and kicking at 77%. That's not solving a goal kicking problem convincingly in my eyes.

cletus-if-i-find-pig-lipstick-on-your-collar-again-25586437.png

that Cletus?

I don't like Hastings at all for us. Seems like a guy that maybe wouldn't be GOOD for any club. I don't want Hocko again(but love him), and don't rate Lamb, Cullen or the other possibles. I'm happy with the 30 we've got with Croker starting at 6..... except for immediate prop/second row depth and a goalkicker. Carney and 2 forwards would see us through while our VERY promising learners grow. Works very well for long term financial reasons as well. I feel Carney could be a real win. Who knows?

Last edited:
I don't like Hastings at all for us. Seems like a guy that maybe wouldn't be GOOD for any club. I don't want Hocko again(but love him), and don't rate Lamb, Cullen or the other possibles. I'm happy with the 30 we've got with Croker starting at 6..... except for immediate prop/second row depth and a goalkicker. Carney and 2 forwards would see us through while our VERY promising learners grow. Works very well for long term financial reasons as well. I feel Carney could be a real win. Who knows?

ok so which two forwards do you cut?

ok so which two forwards do you cut?

None, I feel they all are at least worth another year on the go'round(except for Poo of course, who we are stuck with). I'd cut Hastings and Cullen, both would have suitors and I don't feel they fit the bill. Could offload Metcalf as well.

from the Roy Masters article

Green's uncooperative behaviour at Manly, before his release, surprised the club where he was very popular.

That's disappointing. Although if he was made to stay and his performances went off it would only have harmed his market value.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8