The Take on Jake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
So Jake is a $500k a year forward?..... @:D @:D

Also, given how incredibly marketable the Trbojevic brothers are....does anyone know as fact what portion of their contract is actually tied to the cap?
Several sources stated Manly pay them 12M over the 6 years and their registered contract is 13M. This infers they share 1M in TPA's over the 6 years and their cap hit is 12M...thus the 1.1M and 900k figures widely stated. Fact? No there are no FACTS available for ANY NRL player payments.

There are reasons why players like Jake, Tom and DCE are on high priced contracts. Unfortunately what that does though is make some people expect them to be perfect match winners every time out, and when they don't win, when things go wrong ... the knives come out.

We've all seen how badly we go without Tom at fullback. Take Jake and DCE out of the side and with what we have, even if the rest aren't injured, we'd barely win a game.

Hard to value a players worth at times... I mean you could get your top shelf like Tedesco, Tom T at 1 mil (approx)....then they play only 5-6 games in a season.
then you could have Creighton, Staggs who play every game at $5 - 600,000 and add more to where the team finishes in the comp....
As for Jake I think his value is only being questioned due to Manly losing footy games and I really don't believe he is at fault...in fact without him we could have well lost 2-3 more and the close losses could have been cricket scores.
He is worth around $700,000 I reckon, with extra money from sponsorships (TPA's) and the awesome integrity he gives the Manly club is priceless.

He is worth around $700,000 I reckon, with extra money from sponsorships (TPA's) and the awesome integrity he gives the Manly club is priceless.
The "extra money from TPA's" you talk about...is it really EXTRA money, or is it money that would be allocated to other players if he wasn't here?

Several sources stated Manly pay them 12M over the 6 years and their registered contract is 13M. This infers they share 1M in TPA's over the 6 years and their cap hit is 12M...thus the 1.1M and 900k figures widely stated. Fact? No there are no FACTS available for ANY NRL player payments.

But you believe he is a $500k a season player????

I’ve been one of the guys who’s had a few things to say about Jake......not because I dislike him or think he’s useless. I love the guy & think he is integral to our forward pack but I do think he’s overpaid by around $200,000! What got me irritated was the “we should get rid of Marty” agenda so we can go out into the market for other players. Marty showed on the weekend what he’s worth to us! He WAS our best forward along with AFB & Siro. He’s not overpaid for what he brings to our team! I believe our forward pack at full strength & injury free is the best in the league & wouldn’t swap them for anyone! Our pack is well balanced, intimidating & I’m sure other teams feel the same.....like I said I think Jake is overpaid but at the same time I don’t think Marty is!
AFB
Fainu
Marty
Olakau’atu
Siro
Jake
Res: Paseka, Keppie, Sipley, Gosiewski, Boyle, Saddler, Titmuss.........
A new assistant coach next year to replace Cartwright, a motivational forwards coach in Spud Carroll & we would kick ar$e!!!
Our backs have been the issue & again at full strength plus the emergence of a few newbies we have the nucleus of a speedy backline who will cause problems for other teams next year!
Tom T
Funa
Suli
Walker
Harper
Schuster
DCE
Res: Cust, Hoppa, Garrick, Parker, Ben T, Taufua....plus a few ‘experienced’ additions!
With the departure of Elliott, Waddell, Croker & a few others we can still afford to go to market.
Totally agree MM. however I wouldn’t keep Walker. I still think he has good market value and we could offload him. Then use his $$ for wing and second row upgrade(s).

The "extra money from TPA's" you talk about...is it really EXTRA money, or is it money that would be allocated to other players if he wasn't here?

I would suggest that with most TPA's, the Third Party organisation are the ones wanting to pay that specific player not just any player. I can't see them being happy sponsoring a Lachlan Croker over a Jake Trbojevic.

I would suggest that with most TPA's, the Third Party organisation are the ones wanting to pay that specific player not just any player. I can't see them being happy sponsoring a Lachlan Croker over a Jake Trbojevic.

Like Keno did? Like Foran's TPA disappeared when he was leaving Manly?

What a genius analogy buddy, Jake V Croker. :rofl:
I suggest to you that the ones who financially contribute to MWSE, would do so regardless if it's Jake or say Marty, DCE etc.

But whatever.

You check what the market is offering and you ensure a competitive offer is made unless you dont want them or want to lose them. Offer $500,000 to Jake and despite his feeling for the club, he'll know he can get much better elsewhere. Offer top players a lot less than the market suggest and you end up with a team of Crokers and Elliots. Hard workers but they wont win you games

Offer top players a lot less than the market suggest and you end up with a team of Crokers and Elliots. Hard workers but they wont win you games
The reason we ended up with a team full of Croker's and Elliot's is because we spend FAR too much of our available monies on 3 players. And yeah, that goes a LONG way as to why we didn't win many games.

So Jake is a $500k a year forward?..... @:D @:D

Also, given how incredibly marketable the Trbojevic brothers are....does anyone know as fact what portion of their contract is actually tied to the cap?
Personally I don't really think any forward is worth 900K. Maybe Taumalolo, but I think players like Lolo are detrimental because other forwards tend to rely too heavily on them. Looking away from his reputation I just don't see how, realistically, jake can be justified as being more valuable on the field than other 500-600K players in the game (I think Welch? Big Tino.

Don't let the stupid contracts dilute the values of forwards (eg. Leilani Latu, Napa, Lolo). I would value Jake at 500K for his on field value, with an extra 100K for due to his family ("package-deal") and an extra 50-100K for his off-field value and team morale.

650-700K max for mine, which i think is reasonable.

Great leader, passionate player, pretty good ball-handling skills but doesn't often bend the line or provide game breaking plays that you would expect from nearly a million dollars, not to critique him, but just his inflated value. Still an incredibly tough player that is relatively skilled in attack and provodes a good influence.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason we ended up with a team full of Croker's and Elliot's is because we spend FAR too much of our available monies on 3 players. And yeah, that goes a LONG way as to why we didn't win many games.

Check what Klemmer is earning at Newcastle. $4.3 million over 5 years. JWH would be earning close to that given he's just outlaid $3.1 million for a house And I'd have Jake over Klemmer and JWH any day. Then there's Fifita on $1.3 million, Taumalolo $1 million, Bird $1 million

Last edited:
He was used as first receiver a lot last week.

I still dont like how is being used, but he is a great great player.

Check what Klemmer is earning at Newcastle. $4.3 million over 5 years. JWH would be earning close to that given he's just outlaid $3.1 million for a house And I'd have Jake over Klemmer and JWH any day. Then there's Fifita on $1.3 million, Taumalolo $1 million, Bird $1 million
Relevance??

The monies the above are paid come from MUCH larger pots than we have and 3 of them are obviously overpaid too.

Why can't people here understand it is NOT a level playing field and we are middle to lower pack in total monies available to spend on 28 players.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8