The short kickoff or drop out?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Is it time for RL to rethink its 100 year love affair with the long kick off/ drop out?

We have some tall timber in this side that can jump.

What say we stack turbo, hamole and Sabb on one edge and kick short 90% of the time? Plan would be to swat ball back as much as possible and stack that area behind. You would have to think we would get at least 50 50 ball back?

Thoughts?

I really like the short kick off / drop out and it should be encouraged by not having a penalty for failing to go 10m or go out on the full. It can be exciting and can change momentum.

A team that isn't good at the short kick offs is a pretty crap coached team. Done well so hard to defend. Changes momentum. But needs to remain a risk vs reward play or the long kick off will be dead.

I really like the short kick off / drop out and it should be encouraged by not having a penalty for failing to go 10m or go out on the full. It can be exciting and can change momentum.
Liked Cleary's fast and low end over end drop out, great kick just needed to go one more metre.

What say we stack turbo, hamole and Sabb on one edge and kick short 90% of the time? Plan would be to swat ball back as much as possible and stack that area behind. You would have to think we would get at least 50 50 ball back?

Thoughts?

You'd think so but it just seems to me that:

Opposition does a short kick off - they get the ball back
We do a short kick off - opposition gets the ball.

So unless practised for about 20,000 hours, the tactic (which seems to have a manly success rate of less than 1%) scares me.

Kinda sounds like a rugby union kick off tbh. Anyway... I know noth-zing!

Teams seem to do the short kick off when they are under pressure and not getting the basics done right, not really the best tactic.

A long dropout often ends up with the opposition on the 30 with all the big boppers in position ready to go. A short dropout often ends up 15M out with the pigs out of position. Not a huge difference but one gives you an opportunity to get the ball back. I've always been surprised it's not attempted more often.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2