The Shane Flanagan Influence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I would be suprised if most fans didn't think Flanagan would likely end up elsewhere, with Illawarra the likely destination.
The only thing's I'm worried about is how Manly finish the 2023 season and that Flanagan is also on the same moral compass to help the team who threw him an opportunity.
I have faith he will give his best for Manly till he is gone and not overly concerned many players would be queuing up to follow him to that pathetic Illawarra team.

I can see where you're coming from. I'm torn because I genuinely take your point. Regardless of whether he stays on or leaves early, I think there's been value in what having him along for the ride. Most assistant coaches are somewhat timid people pleasers, looking to make a good impression on their more experienced leader. Flanno is an old hard head and he would have been good sounding board for Seibs (something he didn't have at the Broncos). It's not often you get a premiership winning assistant coach sitting next to you.
Again, I agree with what you’ve said and believe we probably have benefited from his services. I guess its just a question now of if he sees out his time with us or moves on early. If he stays, let’s hope he remains focused on helping us plays finals, as there‘s some positive signs at the moment and we don’t need any potential disruption interfering with our chances of making the 8. Who knows, if he stays and we make the 8, I think his input could prove to be very valuable.

Michael Hagan comes to mind. It's certainly rare though. Once they get a taste of driving, I can imagine it would be hard to sit in the passenger seat.
Well said feathered friend and The long and winding premiership winning road is indeed worth the journey

My primary concern with losing Flanno is I hope Seibs Has enough hard edge. That’s the thing Flanno brings. He is uncompromising and I think that’s what some of our players need. I remember a game at Shark Park years ago and Andrew Fafita scored a try and looked up at the coaches box and gesticulated in anger. It was later alleged that it was directed toward Dymock but essentially, Flanno had some of the crankiest and meanest forwards at the Sharks and got the best out them and they loved him. He can go toe to toe with the hardest forwards in the game, challenge their performance, and still sustain their respect and admiration. Not easy.

So much for Des then, don't think he was even talked about. Oh well, lifes not so bad being a beach bum on the Northern Beaches...

My primary concern with losing Flanno is I hope Seibs Has enough hard edge. That’s the thing Flanno brings. He is uncompromising and I think that’s what some of our players need. I remember a game at Shark Park years ago and Andrew Fafita scored a try and looked up at the coaches box and gesticulated in anger. It was later alleged that it was directed toward Dymock but essentially, Flanno had some of the crankiest and meanest forwards at the Sharks and got the best out them and they loved him. He can go toe to toe with the hardest forwards in the game, challenge their performance, and still sustain their respect and admiration. Not easy.
Yeah agree. Both tooves and des also had a very hard edge from what I have heard.

At the end of the day Mestrov went for the rookie instead of the premiership winning cookie

The bed has been laid and now Manly must sleep on it

I think Flanagan will do a reasonable job at the Dragons, as they are not a bad side, just a heart attack side, like last weekend, which was just ridiculous with the Bunnies. Part of the Dragons membership package should be "We will guarantee a defibrillator within four seats of where you are sitting."

If we are worried about losing good players … shouldn’t we sign them up. We cannot complain about losing a player that is off contract.

Just sayin’

What do you say about both Tuitavake and Fifita who moved mid contract ? It happens

That Illawarra team once won a premiership under Wayne Bennet

The moral of the story ....
Pathetic teams and are made by Pathetic Mediocre people
No suprise - they had a Powerful lineup - some Champion players in 2010, we have moved on 13 years since and the team in 2023 is a rabble.....

The 2010 Illawarra team -

1. Darius Boyd, 2. Brett Morris, 3. Mark Gasnier, 4. Matt Cooper, 5. Jason Nightingale, 6. Jamie Soward, 7. Ben Hornby ©, 8. Neville Costigan, 9. Dean Young, 10. Michael Weyman, 11. Beau Scott, 12. Ben Creagh, 13. Jeremy Smith, 14. Nathan Fien, 15. Trent Merrin, 16. Matt Prior, 17. Jarrod Saffy.

I dont begrudge Flanagan taking up a head coaching role, was always going to happen at some stage.

That said, now that is has happened I do believe he should be moved on.

Don't want him in our players ears talking about opportunities at the Dragons.

@madmax
Speaking to media after the Dragons survived a late blitz from the Rabbitohs to notch up their fourth win of the season, Hunt confirmed he'd had conversations Flanagan through the week.

"I had a small chat with Flanno (about) his intentions, that he wanted to come in and coach, and if he did get the job, he would want me to play halfback," Hunt said.

I dont begrudge Flanagan taking up a head coaching role, was always going to happen at some stage.

That said, now that is has happened I do believe he should be moved on.

Don't want him in our players ears talking about opportunities at the Dragons.
Probably worth noting that Ciraldo and Webster both had new jobs on the horizon last year and stuck around to help Penrith win the competition. It can be done.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8