The Shane Flanagan Influence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Warning: The following post contains opinions and comments by Danny Weidler:

With Jason Ryles having knocked back St George Illawarra to sign with the Storm, influential Dragons are trying to soften the anti-Shane Flanagan view of board powerbroker Peter Doust.
There is a charm offensive under way so that Doust will at least consider Flanagan. It is unclear exactly why Doust has been so strongly opposed to Flanagan, but now the Dragons have missed out on No.1 choice Ryles, it is believed that Flanagan has growing support from sections of the club.
The Dragons are nervous about a rookie coach after saying Ryles was overwhelmed by the enormity of coaching a club as big as the Red V.
Dean Young has strong support from the St George side of the board, but the club is reeling after being snubbed by a man who hasn’t coached a top-grade game. The board needs to be unanimous in its selection of a coach and for weeks it has been suggested that Doust does not want Flanagan near the club. Neither Doust nor the Dragons have denied this and I have tried to get in touch with Doust to discuss his views on the matter.

Flanagan is not everybody’s cup of tea, but he has a record of success at Cronulla, where he helped transform a club that was decimated by the peptide scandal into a premiership-winning outfit.
Flanagan is abrasive, but he can rebuild a club quickly. He also has the strong support of News Corp, with his name being pushed to clubs by some of its employees.
Flanagan also has a significant role with Fox Sports, as well as being Anthony Seibold’s assistant at Manly. During the peptide scandal at Cronulla, News Corp targeted Flanagan, but it appears it has forgiven him for his role in that affair. He was then banned for breaching the conditions of that suspension by having contact with people at Cronulla, so he comes with baggage.
Shane Flanagan could be the Dragons’ Plan B after Jason Ryles turned his back on their coaching job.

Shane Flanagan could be the Dragons’ Plan B after Jason Ryles turned his back on their coaching job.CREDIT:GETTY
Late in the week, there was plenty of discussion about Young and his ability to be the head coach. Flanagan’s ability is not in question.

“Shane is an excellent coach,” Seibold said. “I know I’m lucky to have someone like him here with me. He really is a first-grade coach. It’s only through his recent history that he has landed here. I know we are going to lose him eventually to a first-grade job, and he is ready to do one now. He has shown in the past that he is a winner and I’d never stand in his way.”
Ryles has finished at the Roosters and that has opened the way for Jake Friend and Boyd Cordner to start their coaching careers alongside head coach Trent Robinson.
Friend has had to shift the responsibilities in his plumbing business to take on the extra workload, while Cordner has been looking for a new career path and the coaching role may be perfect for him.

Source:

Well he's not made any difference here so no great loss if he goes. I doubt that Bennett or Bellamy could pull this lot out of the malaise and mediocrity they wallow in.

If Flanno goes, then it makes Seibold more expendable as well.
If there's anyone I wouldn't mind giving a crack at the Manly coaching gig, is the Walker brothers. Both seem to have fresh ideas , Ben's played for the club and there's not many great coaches going around at the moment outside of the status quo.

One things certain, if Flannagan is contemplating a move to The Dragons, as well as doing his commentary work, it doesn't leave much room for a coach to be 100% committed to his current club - possibly a reason why we are still so crap.

Look at The Chooks with Ryles. If he has even an inch of his foot.out the door, they cull him straight up.

Then again, different clubs have different values, expectations and set very different boundaries.

The Chooks demand 100% buy in. From top to bottom, our waif of a club is willing to accept and celebrate all sorts of mediocrity.

The Dragons are nervous about a rookie coach after saying Ryles was overwhelmed by the enormity of coaching a club as big as the Red V.

What a comment of a team coming last and expecting them to be in the bottom 4 for the season.

One things certain, if Flannagan is contemplating a move to The Dragons, as well as doing his commentary work, it doesn't leave much room for a coach to be 100% committed to his current club - possibly a reason why we are still so crap.

Look at The Chooks with Ryles. If he has even an inch of his foot.out the door, they cull him straight up.

Then again, different clubs have different values, expectations and set very different boundaries.

The Chooks demand 100% buy in. From top to bottom, our waif of a club is willing to accept and celebrate all sorts of mediocrity.
It's a bit more than that, Roosters were pi$$Ed that Adam O'Brien left them whilst still under contract to go to Newcastle, and Ryles gave them his word that he would see his contract out at the end of next year.
I'm not sure that Flanno even has contract with us

If there's anyone I wouldn't mind giving a crack at the Manly coaching gig, is the Walker brothers. Both seem to have fresh ideas , Ben's played for the club and there's not many great coaches going around at the moment outside of the status quo.
I apologise for saying this however I have had too many light beers but I missed the 2000 season where apparently Ben Walker was good as I was living in London . I saw him play in 2003 and watched him play all season and was absolutely disgusted. Cooper Johns is 50x better than the garbage Ben Walker served up in 2003. Again sorry about this post.

It's a bit more than that, Roosters were pi$$Ed that Adam O'Brien left them whilst still under contract to go to Newcastle, and Ryles gave them his word that he would see his contract out at the end of next year.
I'm not sure that Flanno even has contract with us
I believe Flanagan has a three year deal,but is free to leave for a head coaching job after one year.So if he does get the Dragons position,it won’t be until this season is over.No club should force an assistant to see out their contract if they’re offered the top job elsewhere

I apologise for saying this however I have had too many light beers but I missed the 2000 season where apparently Ben Walker was good as I was living in London . I saw him play in 2003 and watched him play all season and was absolutely disgusted. Cooper Johns is 50x better than the garbage Ben Walker served up in 2003. Again sorry about this post.
As a player he was pretty average, I agree. But he has some fresh ideas on how the game is played. Not sure if you saw Ipswich Jets play, but they've come up with some new innovations in terms of how the game is played, which I think is more refreshing than what we have now. They've had some decent results over the years. They left Ipswich in 2020 and are currently rumoured to be waiting for the right coaching gig to come along.

There’s a reason the Walker brothers are never considered for NRL gigs. Their innovative approach works for park football but the NRL is no place for a ‘caution to the wind’ ethos. They’ll get found out real quick with their low percentage football.
I'd probably give them a go before making that conclusion. We have a coach how knows all about low percentages in the results business.

If The Walker Brothers end up coaching Manly , then "The sun ain't going shine any more"

As a player he was pretty average, I agree. But he has some fresh ideas on how the game is played. Not sure if you saw Ipswich Jets play, but they've come up with some new innovations in terms of how the game is played, which I think is more refreshing than what we have now. They've had some decent results over the years. They left Ipswich in 2020 and are currently rumoured to be waiting for the right coaching gig to come along.
Yes sure. Good point re he and his brothers results at ipswich

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6