The season of my discontent ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm upbeat about our prospects.

Lots of Barrett holdover dead wood needed to be cleaned out of both the player and coaching rosters, young players with boundless potential are on the verge of stepping up, and we had a nasty reality check to motivate the squad to do better next year.

Half decent recruitment, a few strategic tweaks, and some actual luck with injuries and we can be one of the sides to beat next year.

Signing in today ... with the only thing worth looking forward to was a Schadenfreude pleasure of reading posts lolling at Parra got me to ponder .. so

Apologies for introducing a negative thread ... (it's not my go) ... but perhaps creating an outlet for my disappointment and the resulting counselling from fellow Silvertails will be prove cathartic in nature.

I began the season with great hope and expectation ... not of a Premiership .. but of the turning of the tide back to greatness .. Dessie's back, coming off a 6th place in 2019 ... confident of a top 4 finish with a bullet for 2021 ...

So ... to use at MarkfromBrissie's word of the month ... I will purge my emotions by listing in no particular order my disappointments ..

1) .. The season ending injuries to Turbo and Walker ..
2) .. The failure of a conclusion to the Fainu conspiracy ..
3) .. The inability of our back-up players to rise to the occasion ..
4) .. The seeming inability of Dessie and the players to adapt to the new style of footy ..
5) .. The lack of coaching and opportunity given to Guacomole and Schuster ... both would have been better with more games.
6) .. The moderate impact of Levi ..
7) .. All other injuries ...
8) .. The failure of Suli to mature into a consistent 1st grade beast ..
9) .. The seeming failure of our game structures and defence ..
10) .. Our seeming lack of heart ... many games we were just not Manly ..
11) .. The failure of Croker to go to the next level ..
12 .. Albert Hopoate ...

That's enough ... I'm depressing myself ... and I know there have been some positives ... and I am and always will be confident about next year ... Fix it Dessie ...
Put aside your concerns (in the words of BOZO) feathered friend.

What happened to Manly this year has befallen many teams that make part of a growing list. You could see early on in the year already that defences were falling apart:

First to fall apart were the Broncos and Bulldogs (who I note play a Manly style game), and the Tigers. Then came Manly. These teams started to leak an average of 30+ points a week. I note the others down there (Saints and Nth Qld) were always ****.

Then came some of the fringe eight teams - Newcastle, Cronulla - started leaking some big scores. Then last of all the Roosters and Parra - big leaks baby. That strong early year defence became swiss cheese.

Parallel to this injuries all over the place - particularly leg injuries.

There is only so much teams designed for pre-2020 rugby league can take, and many are falling. Look at some of the scores in the finals series - seems an average of 70 points a game are being scored.

In the end we have four surviving teams, and they are long developed teams with the most structured defence and attack, and not based on brawn and sparkle. It just happened to end up that way.

I think the NRL have opened the tap a little too far based on the injuries we are seeing. It will be interesting to see what happens over the off-season. But either way this is a massive transition in the game, and the next couple of years are going to be an absolute lottery in terms who who wins the comp. The Manly club have to make some big changes in they way they play, the type of player they recruit, and have a sprinkle of luck.

Interesting times ahead, but the pre-2020 Manly will be no more.

NYEagle

Signing in today ... with the only thing worth looking forward to was a Schadenfreude pleasure of reading posts lolling at Parra got me to ponder .. so

Apologies for introducing a negative thread ... (it's not my go) ... but perhaps creating an outlet for my disappointment and the resulting counselling from fellow Silvertails will be prove cathartic in nature.

I began the season with great hope and expectation ... not of a Premiership .. but of the turning of the tide back to greatness .. Dessie's back, coming off a 6th place in 2019 ... confident of a top 4 finish with a bullet for 2021 ...

So ... to use at MarkfromBrissie's word of the month ... I will purge my emotions by listing in no particular order my disappointments ..

1) .. The season ending injuries to Turbo and Walker ..
2) .. The failure of a conclusion to the Fainu conspiracy ..
3) .. The inability of our back-up players to rise to the occasion ..
4) .. The seeming inability of Dessie and the players to adapt to the new style of footy ..
5) .. The lack of coaching and opportunity given to Guacomole and Schuster ... both would have been better with more games.
6) .. The moderate impact of Levi ..
7) .. All other injuries ...
8) .. The failure of Suli to mature into a consistent 1st grade beast ..
9) .. The seeming failure of our game structures and defence ..
10) .. Our seeming lack of heart ... many games we were just not Manly ..
11) .. The failure of Croker to go to the next level ..
12 .. Albert Hopoate ...

That's enough ... I'm depressing myself ... and I know there have been some positives ... and I am and always will be confident about next year ... Fix it Dessie ...
Like it sll Woodsie, but 1 point don't completely agree with is the replacements not living up to expectations....I mean ai do agree, just think the youngsters luke Schuster, Guoca and Funa - though hot and cold.....done great.
The disappointment was the Croker type backups, who were exposed as NSW cup players who snuck into the team...,
Totally get the thread and think if you weren't such a nice bloke, could have been harsher....up with the most disappointing seasons I have seen the past 35 years as s Manly supporter

Auction for any true fans out there.

(by the way... sorry woodsie for heading off on some old bard. though it may cheer you up?)

William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies. Published According to the True Originall Copies.
Estimate: $4,000,000-6,000,000.
Offered in the Exceptional Sale on 14 October at Christie’s in New York

Only five complete copies of the First Folio remain in private hands, and in October, Christie’s will offer the first complete copy to come on the market in almost two decades. It will be auctioned during Classic Week in New York, and is being sold on behalf of Mills College in Oakland, California.

The last time a complete copy of Shakespeare’s First Folio came to market was in 2001 at Christie’s in New York. It sold for $6,166,000, which remains the world record price.

This copy of the First Folio is in exceptional condition and comes with a letter from Edmond Malone, the great Shakespearean scholar and editor of the late 18th-early 19th century.

Just very disappointing to see a side like the Warriors overcome so much adversity and many weeks with make shift sides show so much tenacity and application and success and in contrast to Manly"s generally poor performances . Even with some key personal missing , very hard to give too much latitude to the below par defence , very ordinary attacking structures and error riddled efforts . Payten had his charges generally playing a well disciplined and committed and even smart style of footy and maybe something that Des and Manly can hopefully take note of and replicate . Whatever our playing and defensive formations and on field attitude were this season , it clearly was not working . Maybe mainly and apart from fitness preparation , just spend the first couple of months of pre season training on the tackling bags or just getting their defence in order , then how to play some decent and creative attacking footy again .

You people, look at what we're reduced to ...

16d53aa0b495354ef3fde3e65ffc10bc.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4