The rebuild 2020 and beyond

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The 2019 350 k N R L imposed cap fine has already been mostly re directed into Tom Turbo "s and Jake "s upgrade for next season , 100 k and 200 k increase respectively ] so any more available funds for possible new recrutments will have to be sourced from moving some current players on or whatever . On present indications young Haumole Olokau looks like being part of Des "s plans going forward and Schuster has to be realistically offered some type of a top squad or development contract as well in the near future . Just so many other imponderables however in regard to retaining guys like Walker , Jetski , Sipley , Parker although it would seem that Cust and maybe Croker would be priority re signings . Kioa is still taking up a top 30 position so surely there would have to be some clarity on his future input soon . Can not see too much more time elapsing before there is some more definite intention to either retain or release most of the regular 2019 i st graders who are yet to be re signed for 2020 and beyond .

The 2019 350 k N R L imposed cap fine has already been mostly re directed into Tom Turbo "s and Jake "s upgrade for next season , 100 k and 200 k increase respectively ] so any more available funds for possible new recrutments will have to be sourced from moving some current players on or whatever . On present indications young Haumole Olokau looks like being part of Des "s plans going forward and Schuster has to be realistically offered some type of a top squad or development contract as well in the near future . Just so many other imponderables however in regard to retaining guys like Walker , Jetski , Sipley , Parker although it would seem that Cust and maybe Croker would be priority re signings . Kioa is still taking up a top 30 position so surely there would have to be some clarity on his future input soon . Can not see too much more time elapsing before there is some more definite intention to either retain or release most of the regular 2019 i st graders who are yet to be re signed for 2020 and beyond .
So you would pay Jake 950k/season?
As good as he is and how much he means to Manly, that is too much. Maybe 850-900k for the last year of his next 4 year contract for me.

I believe kioa is now out of our top 30. Keppie and olokoatu came in.
Perrett, hodko and Thommo all will be gone with decisions to be made around Walker koroisau and suli. Fainu and cust must be offered upgrades. Parker will surely be offered a contract as he would be offered a small contract and offers great depth and a real option at centre for a low price. IF walker and suli are let go then they need to be replaced with strike outside backs. No sense letting 2 guns go and not have a suitable replacement. Koroisau is the tricky one. He's a gun and offers alot but we need to be able to upgrade and balance our top 30 so somethings gotta give somewhere. Perrett hodko and thommo gone will help but i still believe we will let go another starting 13 player... possibly api??? Is Taupau 100% safe??? If so why hasnt he re signed already? Interesting times to see how Des juggles this

Perrett, hodko and Thommo all will be gone with decisions to be made around Walker koroisau and suli. Fainu and cust must be offered upgrades. Parker will surely be offered a contract as he would be offered a small contract and offers great depth and a real option at centre for a low price. IF walker and suli are let go then they need to be replaced with strike outside backs. No sense letting 2 guns go and not have a suitable replacement. Koroisau is the tricky one. He's a gun and offers alot but we need to be able to upgrade and balance our top 30 so somethings gotta give somewhere. Perrett hodko and thommo gone will help but i still believe we will let go another starting 13 player... possibly api??? Is Taupau 100% safe??? If so why hasnt he re signed already? Interesting times to see how Des juggles this

Centre is as you say interesting .... Parker rightfully is a good budget option ... but I think players like Funa and Simona have a short window to impress .... especially Simona if he starts to recapture the form he was in .. he will certainly test Suli and Walkers spot ... on the basis of contract price ... and let's not forget we already have Hoppa and Burbo as options ...

Unfortunately .... although I only capture glimpses of Blacktown .... I don't see Anderson impressing any time soon .... some of the defensive efforts I've seen have been lamentable ...

PSS ... next year is really looking interesting ...

Last edited:
Jake is becoming a bit more like Gifty with his ball playing and already has great D obviously.
He could really play anywhere in the pack and his ability to play big minutes is gold. You would think Des has him where he wants him in the middle.

Finding a thommo replacement for next year will be interesting - if he does go.

Props 2020 would have to be
1 Marty
2 AFB
3 Siply
4 ?
5 ?

Whoever is forth prop needs a break out year if we are to be contenders.
The rest of this year is a massive opportunity for Paseka to go up a level.
Boyle could be the Bryant type.

So you would pay Jake 950k/season?
As good as he is and how much he means to Manly, that is too much. Maybe 850-900k for the last year of his next 4 year contract for me.
Only occasional insight that i have to some current Manly contract arrangements is Zero Tackle and it just recently mentioned the Turbo 's upgrade . Probably an intentional move by the retention group to then help ensure their longer term commitment to Manly in extended contract deals for the club . . As Jake is a regular rated 8 [ or plus ] performer these days and his present standing in the game , 900 k seems in the ball park range .. Tom as a million dollar per season player , well i guess that he would be expected to produce some regular top line Manly club game efforts to warrant this elite value in future seasons . There would be some T P A element included , one would assume also . Loyalty factors would certainly help in having the Turbos one club players for Manly but cold , hard market based contract value has to be in the equation also of course .

Certainly a delicate exercise trying to get the balance right on player retention and recruiting for a competitive roster in the N R L. Only way that Walker could be retained is on a much reduced contract , Would be desirable to keep Parker with a modest upgrade but thought that Suli , Fainu and A P I had been re signed . Perrett was on serious money and definitely Thommo , Hodko moderate contract , naturally expect Parrett and Hodgo to go but must be some inclination to keep Thommo . Probably preferable to keep Sipley as well . Then what to do with Elgey , Fanu , Miski and Anderson . Anyway , just have to have some confidence in the retention group to make the right or realistic calls i guess

Yes it was and if we must lose API he would be an excellent replacement lightening quick, could be a great bench no 9.
Totally agree. Ballin may well have had an influence on Littles style of hooker play during his time at the tigpies.

Personally I think both are great hookers just very different styles.

APIs style would be of much greater financial value at the tigers without Farrah, and Littles style would be of much greater on field value at MAN with the way DES wants his hooker to play, and also just some fellow called Fainu still at MAN.

Really hope it happens.

Last edited:
Des is good at keeping thing on the low down, and with the leak on the Outer even better.
Wouldn't surprise me if Des has made a signing or two and keeping it under wraps until seasons end.
How much more enjoyable is footy without ZtC pushing is agenda and attacking all those who ever were once in front of him on the chow line.
Coincidence?

M

Of those .... I can only see 4 that I think are propably packing their bags .... Anderson, Hodko, Perrett and Thompson ....

Funa has a month or so to show what he has got after 2 horrific years of injury, and Croker also needs to get some games up in reggies or firsts or he is also in doubt,. simply on an injury reliability basis ....

Walker is also playing for his future at Manly and needs to justify his price tag or earn it elsewhere .....

Parker and Sipley should be here just based on their budget price tags ... even with a modest increase to the GingaNinja ....

Just don't know how to rate GoJetSki .... plays a strange role under Dessie ..... probably depend on how much he asks for ....

Cust is a keeper and will need a pay rise ....

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7