The purge is on!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If this the same Gus that said Barrett was the next big thing in coaching.

It could be like Queenslanders like Lewis and Vautin talking up Jamie Soward and Mitchell Pearce every year at Origin time.
Let's just hope the dogs don't beat us on the ladder next year!

We all survived Nate Myles, at least Foran was once an Eagle.

In saying that I agree on the sentiment.
But did we survive Mate Myles? I think we've learnt to cope but I have a kind of PTSD at the thought of thinking of him in a Manly jersey

No offence, and respect your opinions, but not too much of that makes any sense to me other than Peats on 1 year deal.

Even that dopey Griffin can see Saab for Garrick is not a trade.
We always get the dregs. I would MUCH prefer Mitch Rein who has been great this year and also a couple of years ago at the Panthers.
Peats is poorly motivated.

NYEagle

Last edited:
I suspect DCE wasnt popular because he was smarter than most around him, knew what he wanted and spoke his mind. Wanted good pay (we forget Foran left us for a fortune) Its suggested he was a disruptive element but isn't it just possible that other players believed they should be top dog and DCE was merely asserting his rights for respect, as anyone smart enough and good enough would.

Easy to forget that despite Manly's brilliance in 2007-8, they were on the slide coming in at 5th in 2009 and 8th in 2010. A lot of Manly's subsequent success should be attributed to the fact that DCE added spark and formed a deadly combination with Foran, two of the most important positions on the field as we all know. 2012 came in 4th and one game from the grand final, 2013, played the grand final (DCE gets Clive Churchill Award), 2014 they came in 2nd.

It wasnt until 2015, with injuries, an aging group of players and disharmony developing seriously throughout the club, that the Sea Eagles started to go down hill. For some reason DCE has become the whipping boy as a consequence. And Manly have had a fairly ordinary set out players except the Trbojevics, DCE, Walker, Fainu and Taupau, and Turbo, Walker and Fainu have been out for extended periods. Hardly DCE's fault. He's put in and he's stayed on the field. He's worth a decent pay packet in my opinion

You have gone quite a way off the original point there BF. my comments on this were about the contract wrangle and the teams discontent as a result. It was widely reported at the time . Doesnt make it fact, nor does your assumption that the team disliked daly because he was well read.

Ive gone off what was reported. You have invented something 5 years after that fact that supports your point of view currently. Pretty sure watmough went on about it on a pod cast but because he signed elsewhere for money he is no longer a trusted source. Convenient.

Maybe he let someones tyres down or maybe he ate the last bit of fairy bread or maybe he actually did what was reported. There all possible

But of course we will never know because of his mastermind qualities and everyone close to him at the time is a liar.

Mate i make **** up at times, but as i can see so do you. Nothing wrong with trusting your gut.

We did slide. In particular brett stewarts form was never the same. Pretty sure he didnt get tackled again in manly colours . He played really poorly and had no respect for the ball whatsover. Must have been 3 doctor suess behind cherry and couldnt cope being in the remedial squad

Yeah, zero chance Burton leaves Panthers.
Staines a possibility.
I think Burton will sign with the dogs during this offseason, yet probably won't be released until his contract expires in 2021. I doubt he will stay at Penrith with no hope of cracking through the halves and no role other than depth while the dogs will offer him a dominant starting halfback role on big money under barrett.

Probably a career suicide move though but I feel it'll happen

I think Burton will sign with the dogs during this offseason, yet probably won't be released until his contract expires in 2021. I doubt he will stay at Penrith with no hope of cracking through the halves and no role other than depth while the dogs will offer him a dominant starting halfback role on big money under barrett.

Probably a career suicide move though but I feel it'll happen
I think the dogs are in a similar position to us.. if they recruit well with the war chest they have 2022 they could be dominant.. could be

Tooveys' tactics and definitely selection policy were much better than Des's. Des just got the pick of the players in the perfect era, Toovey had to manage the transition phase into a new era but got the sack early.

Will give Des another year (given we sign a good player and don't bring in Foran & Tolman like is rumoured), but have always preferred Toovey, still do and would like him to be given some respect at the club.

Toovey should be Des's assistant coach but wont happen as would give a clear direction out the door for Des with Toovey taking over.

The biggest concern is that Des has long been considered a 'Defensive coach'. Even at the bulldogs, they would win a lot of low scoring games (relative to the poorness of their roster). He has always seemed to bring a fairly solid defensive structure (last year, & the glory days) but we have had 40 put on us multiple times now and by one of the worst run clubs in recent sports history, the Titans. If we a **** in defence, what strengths does Des hold in the current moment?

Last edited:
The standard DCE off the cuff plays of high risk faceballs and cutouts when they are not on, or hitting short to Siro. The plays themselves are not that bad, i love well timed flat and direct plays like most do, but the science and lead up behind the plays is lacking big time to make such plays more effective. Not enough science/thought setting up on the previous tackles to create a conducive environment for the plays to flourish, a high risk passing option with low returns due to predictability---not a good mix that is for sure.
The cut out pass on the weekend was just not on - he had two men inside that target that stroll in unmarked if he shortens the pass. Again nothing to do with the previous play - they had a try on a platter and DCE went for the long magic money ball.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4