The purge is on!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The standard DCE off the cuff plays of high risk faceballs and cutouts when they are not on, or hitting short to Siro. The plays themselves are not that bad, i love well timed flat and direct plays like most do, but the science and lead up behind the plays is lacking big time to make such plays more effective. Not enough science/thought setting up on the previous tackles to create a conducive environment for the plays to flourish, a high risk passing option with low returns due to predictability---not a good mix that is for sure.
Science ? Explain is detail. Cheers

Can we add Hoppa, Funa and Crocker to that list?.

I don’t want to see any of these three ever again. all three a disgrace to the Manly jumper. Not even reserve grade level.

NYEagle
I can't believe how little we get from these 3. Hoppa has been really disappointing. I know he's coming back from injury and he's young...but its his lack if enthusiasm and involvement, especially in defence, where he shies away in the hope he doesn't make another missed tackle stat.
Funa, plain and simple just has too many mistakes and lapses in his game. Tries hard at times but comes up with too many real clangers.
Enough has been said about croker.
We need defenders 1st 2nd and 3rd. That at least puts you in the comp to compete.

I can't believe how little we get from these 3. Hoppa has been really disappointing. I know he's coming back from injury and he's young...but its his lack if enthusiasm and involvement, especially in defence, where he shies away in the hope he doesn't make another missed tackle stat.
Funa, plain and simple just has too many mistakes and lapses in his game. Tries hard at times but comes up with too many real clangers.
Enough has been said about croker.
We need defenders 1st 2nd and 3rd. That at least puts you in the comp to compete.
Tyfuna is a keeper. He's been one of the finds of the season.
Hoppa Jnr? Far too early to tell. I'd keep him but for a lot less than he is asking.
Frog? Unfortunately he's had more than his share of chances and is closer to Blacktown standard than what we need to climb from the abyss.

Tyfuna is a keeper. He's been one of the finds of the season.
Hoppa Jnr? Far too early to tell. I'd keep him but for a lot less than he is asking.
Frog? Unfortunately he's had more than his share of chances and is closer to Blacktown standard than what we need to climb from the abyss.
TYfuna v Titans stats
Dropped 2 bombs and made a mere 70 running meters
Not the upgrade on Jorge we are looking for
Hopper does not have the pace and the height that we are looking for in our back line . You cant coach him to go any faster or stretch him to be any taller . So many tries are let in through high kicks to our wingers
Frogs dont fly like Sea eagles . I am with you there

There is something wrong in a big way. I did not see at any stage this team playing as a unit today. DCE did his upmost best and got no support.

Time to ditch the passengers that are holding us back and get it guys who want to do this!!

A game which some how thinks tapping people on the shoulder before the season is finished is good for the game.

I dont know about funa on the wing. I thought he has showed a lot of confidence but now im wondering if that is borderline arrogance? He drops the ball and doesnt seem to care, does it twice, doesn't seem to care. His chase on that titans winger was good, but he had a really poor game yesterday.

He is a centre, but centre stocks are loaded. I like his potential on the wing just want to see more consistent effort, although sometimes he seems he is trying hard? Difficult player to read

I dont know about funa on the wing. I thought he has showed a lot of confidence but now im wondering if that is borderline arrogance? He drops the ball and doesnt seem to care, does it twice, doesn't seem to care. His chase on that titans winger was good, but he had a really poor game yesterday.

He is a centre, but centre stocks are loaded. I like his potential on the wing just want to see more consistent effort, although sometimes he seems he is trying hard? Difficult player to read
Not sure that center stocks are loaded actually. Parker is a good defender but in attack he's a slow pedestrian and he wouldn't make too many other sides. Compared to Manu, Crichton, Staggs he's butt average. Suli is mostly rocks and very few diamonds.

Clearly not a winger, but would be my first picked centre, and has covered for Turbo admirably.
I agree he is a centre & also the best backup fullback at present. His defence is solid and offers more in attack than Parker. He's made mistakes, but puts in effort every game.

I agree he is a centre & also the best backup fullback at present. His defence is solid and offers more in attack than Parker. He's made mistakes, but puts in effort every game.
Its not all about the effort . It is all about the match winning result
Against the Titans Funas effort resulted into 70 running metres and 2 dropped bombs
When I look at our next premiership player rebuild I benchmark our players with the best because they have compete and get over the top of the best for us to win the comp
When you compare Funa with these quality players there is no comparison

Staggs
Blake
Farnworth
Chrighton
Cotric
Manu
Ramien
Jennings
Morris
Olam
Croker
Roberts
Gagai

When you compare Funa
Funa has only played 11 NRL games & I don't think any (maybe one?) have been in his preferred position of centre. I think he can develop into a very good NRL player. I know you like Stephen Crichton, but I wonder how well he would have fared in a lacklustre team like the 2020 Sea Eagles? Conversely, I think Suli could be dynamite in some other teams who utilize their backs effectively, e.g. Souths or Storm.

I like this

There are players i would not want but retain because you can't have everything you want in a player, that is unrealistic so you work with what you have. In saying that most of the depth players in the squad have to go---as i said in a previous post weeks ago they are just happy to be in the 30 types that offer no "potential" major upside or offer consistent performance traits you can rely on.

Also i am happy to let go AFB, Fainu, Suli(at times i want to keep Suli but he just doesn't run effective lines and is a more get the ball early one on one type) In saying that with more open space and faster play being promoted rule wise early ball out wide will work in Suli's favour with more space to work in---but still not convinced he is my type of player.

I wouldn't be purchasing Foran(and in his Manly days i was a big fan of him way more than DCE)

I don't hold Tom or Jake up as highly as most here(i still do rate them though) and not a fan of Brothers playing in a squad in general---can create power imbalances and other players not being valued financially at the correct level, i would look to break the brothers up and keep one---- not fussed who stays because they both have positive elements i could use.

Yes i get from a marketing and family club perspective they are good to have and the fans love that connection with such a club so not against the idea of keeping both, but at a more realistic price point.(this is not some hindsight reaction I've always stated i don't rate them as highly as they are valued financially)

Even with all the flaws that annoy me with DCE that i have harped on and on about since basically day one, i would keep him---there is too much to like skill set wise and effort wise that i think every coach would think they could get the best out of him.(and physically he seems very resilient and plays most games without having to reduce his effort to protect himself from injury)

I haven't really looked at this squad in great detail this year due to a lack of interest in the game because of the Covid impact on the season---it feels like a non year to me.

Glad Manly for once are not having a great year during a season that doesn't feel like it has the same interest as previous years due to Covid, unlike back in the Super League turmoil years of 95,96,97 when we had such a great squad but it felt all wasted when League was going through it's struggles, Manly couldn't fully financially capitalize on success because of a general disinterest in the game at that time.

Oh i would of kept Levi against what most others think here at a value price---i feel he could of offered the Ballin type of play i like offering good lateral crisp passing expansive play and some good first up contact in defence.

Taufua is past his used by date, as much as i love his strong leg drive and ball carries he is too limited, on top of wasting his good leg drive with slow hands during each play the ball, easily gets down on himself and too much of a confidence player which leads to inconsistent performances.(but he too could be good value at a fair price depth wise)
I'm happy about re-signing Faniu, will be a star and took a pay cut but we still need another solid number 9. Faniu worked well in tandem with API. API was a tough defender and smart foot baller and Faniu coming off the bench worked very well. I cannot see Faniu playing 80 mins when he first comes back, need a player like Brandon Smith. No nonsense, smart, tough. Sure up the middle and can revert to lock if needed when Faniu plays hooker, or comes off the bench.

That and a genuine Winger in the mould of Fusitu'a would be ideal. We still are missing another quality back rower, maybe Quac or Jetski can step up but a player in the mould of Wade Graham would make the team more balanced.

Winger, Hooker and mobile strong defender in the back row. Not sure Manly have the funds though. Really Tom, DCE and Jake should be all on about 150k less each and Suli or Walker both on 550-600k each one of those is surplus. That would give Manly 1 million to strengthen those weak positions.

Funa has only played 11 NRL games & I don't think any (maybe one?) have been in his preferred position of centre. I think he can develop into a very good NRL player. I know you like Stephen Crichton, but I wonder how well he would have fared in a lacklustre team like the 2020 Sea Eagles? Conversely, I think Suli could be dynamite in some other teams who utilize their backs effectively, e.g. Souths or Storm.

I like this

Funa is 22 years of age and still developing
Whilst other younger dynamic speedsters in the game like the 19 year old Crichton is killing them
I follow manly like you do with a passion and I like winning with a passion and I hope Funa can prove me wrong and make a miracle transformation

Funa is 22 years of age and still developing
Whilst other younger dynamic speedsters in the game like the 19 year old Crichton is killing them
I follow manly like you do with a passion and I like winning with a passion and I hope Funa can prove me wrong and make a miracle transformation
He at least will be a good backup player in nsw cup.
i hope funa proves a lot of us wrong but even as someone who likes him as a player could see he had a shocker yesterday.

Science ? Explain is detail. Cheers
For example drawing players in on previous tackles to better isolate the target area you want to hit later on via running certain lines beforehand to stretch and strip the area of defenders, using your most explosive power runners along the inner corridors to generate a fast play the ball so that defenders are back pedaling before unleashing a high risk pass, double switch plays to try to momentarily get the outside defenders to switch off, offering more variety beyond hitting the lead flat Siro run throughout the game.

Also Manly need to go beyond the single lead runner block plays and offer a double block play of more substance on the right, we do so in a limited way on the left but on the right it is boringly predictable who Manly want to hit.

At the minimum. Even try a triple or quadruple block play, would be worth watching the attempt even if it doesn't work.
Good luck putting your theory into practice along with trying to stagger the block runners in a believable manner that gives every one of them the chance of being the ball receiver.(impossible)

Yes i do get your sense of humour so will reward you with an Ironstine.

13 players on the field with 8-9 players in use on the one play basically means it is only a last tackle all or nothing option--- there are hardly any players left across the park to make the next play worthwhile.

For example drawing players in on previous tackles to better isolate the target area you want to hit later on via running certain lines beforehand to stretch and strip the area of defenders, using your most explosive power runners along the inner corridors to generate a fast play the ball so that defenders are back pedaling before unleashing a high risk pass, double switch plays to try to momentarily get the outside defenders to switch off, offering more variety beyond hitting the lead flat Siro run throughout the game.

Also Manly need to go beyond the single lead runner block plays and offer a double block play of more substance on the right, we do so in a limited way on the left but on the right it is boringly predictable who Manly want to hit.
Too much one out running, and it's ineffective!

That and when we do make a good run, so slow to stand and play the ball! Slow to react to a break, slow to react to defend a kick. Just lacked energy and passion an playing hard consistently for 80 mins. Our structure in defence needs to change, ok to jam up, but then need to cover up and slide. We cannot slide ATM.

Also just too many simple errors. We gift opposition too many points. We play well for periods and get on top, but then just give it away

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6