The purge is on!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
so who has been purged and who needs to be purged? (I love this word. Purged)

The Purged!

Cartwheel
Levi
Elliot
Waddell
Thompson
Boyle
She-rex
Metcalf
Afb

Need to be purged!

Garrick
Croker
Jorge Slowfua
Croker
Sipley

@Mark from Brisbane Anyone im missing please update the list for medicinal purposes :)

Last edited:

Purged.

Cartwheel
Levi
Elliot
Waddell
Boyle
She-rex
Metcalf

Need to be purged.
Garrick
Croker
Jorge Slowfua
Croker
Sipley

@Mark from Brisbane Anyone im missing please update the list for medicinal purposes :)

Funny but never thought my #purge saying would take off like it has but it’s absolutely perfect for what is needed!

I think your list above is pretty accurate but you missed AFB.

Gee dce sets a weak mental attitude by whinging and milking for penalties, I'd put him high up the purge list now. Constantly got drawn in again while defending today, costing us plenty of overlaps (although good one on one tackles when he positioned himself well). Short AND long kicking game is a few years expired now and his attack is down to random individual plays, fluke plays and barge-over short passes to forward plays. All talk no action, effort - yes - but im sure he is a hypocrite to the critiques he makes on our team during his arrogant little team huddles he runs.

Obviously dce won't be purged because he has sold everyone the myth that he is a great leader (due to his eloquence and team huddles around him) but obviously he hasn't set any standards since around 2014 when our senior players became less prominent. We are so temperamental and have been ever since we assembled the core of this side in 2016. That's because in reality it is lead by and dominated by players that don't lead by example, and don't have the mental toughness to develop a durable, consistent rugby league team. How many chances has dce had? How many halves partners? Im over him and his teacher's pet persona.

Fainu can save us sure, but even if the core of this side ever won a premiership over the next two or so seasons it would be off the back of a well-timed run and need luck. We have been talking about a lack of mental toughness for YEARS now. While last year we showed crazy resilience at times, we also showed (and moreso this season) that this lack of mental toughness is still a very big part of the squad we have. I don't think Des is to blame for that aspect of our side.

If you want a real halves pairing for 1/4 of the price then I would invest in something like this halves pairing for 2021...

Schuster to 7, Foz/Burton to 6. Obviously if foz we should sign someone like Burton anyways as a succession plan. Won't happen but ** im over dce and his bull**
Dce out
Fainu is not going to save a team performing badly or contribute one bit in turning the tide, Fainu will though take advantage of a well performing squad around him by adding instinctive flair around the ruck-----that is the be all and end all of what Fainu will add to the squad.

The money wasted on Fainu will be better off spent in higher quality overall depth in the squad for less drop off in performance when injuries hit.

Way too much is made of Fainu's attacking instinctive abilities, like it is the reason for the better go forward---using the age old simplistic view of "well it all starts from hooker" and anything positive attacking wise or go forward wise is a result of an "attacking" hooker, well many more elements need to come in to play before a hookers abilities make a difference.

Also the loss of AFB is a good thing, sometimes good metre stats are made up of momentum driven metres that offer slow play the balls, with not enough hard running punch. AFB has so much potential, a great motor when fit, when he runs direct can be devastating but mostly offers too much of the skip between and carry defenders momentum yardage.

For example if AFB averages say 150-180 metres and his interchange forward offers 50mtrs of low quality fill in metres compared to 100-120 metres of hard running quality slightly lower minutes played by his replacement with a higher quality interchange forward offering 60-80 metres of direct punch at high tempo i know which pairing i would prefer.

Fainu is not going to save a team performing badly or contribute one bit in turning the tide, Fainu will though take advantage of a well performing squad around him by adding instinctive flair around the ruck-----that is the be all and end all of what Fainu will add to the squad.

The money wasted on Fainu will be better off spent in higher quality overall depth in the squad for less drop off in performance when injuries hit.

Way too much is made of Fainu's attacking instinctive abilities, like it is the reason for the better go forward---using the age old simplistic view of "well it all starts from hooker" and anything positive attacking wise or go forward wise is a result of an "attacking" hooker, well many more elements need to come in to play before a hookers abilities make a difference.

Also the loss of AFB is a good thing, sometimes good metre stats are made up of momentum driven metres that offer slow play the balls, with not enough hard running punch. AFB has so much potential, a great motor when fit, when he runs direct can be devastating but mostly offers too much of the skip between and carry defenders momentum yardage.

For example if AFB averages say 150-180 metres and his interchange forward offers 50mtrs of low quality fill in metres compared to 100-120 metres of hard running quality slightly lower minutes played by his replacement with a higher quality interchange forward offering 60-80 metres of direct punch at high tempo i know which pairing i would prefer.

I’d be quite interested ( seriously not having a go at you in any way ) in your views on who should remain and who should be purged.

I understand that someone you ( we) might want to see gone , for many reasons might still be there next year.

So if you’re keen away you go!!

Oh wow - yet again I only watched the first 20 minutes or so - what a disgrace. I refuse to have my blood boil watching pathetic no effort play and so over the last 5 weeks as soon as I have seen a hint of no heart I have switched off which has generally been about the first 20 minutes of each game - been so so much better for my stress levels! Serenity now serenity now! But agreed totally - there needs to be a massive turnover. I have been very strong in defending the team because they have been without three quarters of the spine all year but you now CANNOT excuse a lack of effort, commitment, pride and grit. Thank goodness Waddell and maybe Boyle are going, Croker needs to go as well, Taufua, Garrick, Hopoate is so overrated (so far) it isn't funny, Levi goorne, AFB going, still not sure at all that Jetski is anything more than a decent bench player. This has now turned into a total total farce. DCE tried in the first 20 but why oh why did he try to cut out four players when if he shortens and flattens the pass at least one of two others score unmarked instead of throwing the intercept. Arghhhhhhhhh just sums up their effort today perfectly - effing woeful!
The standard DCE off the cuff plays of high risk faceballs and cutouts when they are not on, or hitting short to Siro. The plays themselves are not that bad, i love well timed flat and direct plays like most do, but the science and lead up behind the plays is lacking big time to make such plays more effective. Not enough science/thought setting up on the previous tackles to create a conducive environment for the plays to flourish, a high risk passing option with low returns due to predictability---not a good mix that is for sure.

I’d be quite interested ( seriously not having a go at you in any way ) in your views on who should remain and who should be purged.

I understand that someone you ( we) might want to see gone , for many reasons might still be there next year.

So if you’re keen away you go!!
There are players i would not want but retain because you can't have everything you want in a player, that is unrealistic so you work with what you have. In saying that most of the depth players in the squad have to go---as i said in a previous post weeks ago they are just happy to be in the 30 types that offer no "potential" major upside or offer consistent performance traits you can rely on.

Also i am happy to let go AFB, Fainu, Suli(at times i want to keep Suli but he just doesn't run effective lines and is a more get the ball early one on one type) In saying that with more open space and faster play being promoted rule wise early ball out wide will work in Suli's favour with more space to work in---but still not convinced he is my type of player.

I wouldn't be purchasing Foran(and in his Manly days i was a big fan of him way more than DCE)

I don't hold Tom or Jake up as highly as most here(i still do rate them though) and not a fan of Brothers playing in a squad in general---can create power imbalances and other players not being valued financially at the correct level, i would look to break the brothers up and keep one---- not fussed who stays because they both have positive elements i could use.

Yes i get from a marketing and family club perspective they are good to have and the fans love that connection with such a club so not against the idea of keeping both, but at a more realistic price point.(this is not some hindsight reaction I've always stated i don't rate them as highly as they are valued financially)

Even with all the flaws that annoy me with DCE that i have harped on and on about since basically day one, i would keep him---there is too much to like skill set wise and effort wise that i think every coach would think they could get the best out of him.(and physically he seems very resilient and plays most games without having to reduce his effort to protect himself from injury)

I haven't really looked at this squad in great detail this year due to a lack of interest in the game because of the Covid impact on the season---it feels like a non year to me.

Glad Manly for once are not having a great year during a season that doesn't feel like it has the same interest as previous years due to Covid, unlike back in the Super League turmoil years of 95,96,97 when we had such a great squad but it felt all wasted when League was going through it's struggles, Manly couldn't fully financially capitalize on success because of a general disinterest in the game at that time.

Oh i would of kept Levi against what most others think here at a value price---i feel he could of offered the Ballin type of play i like offering good lateral crisp passing expansive play and some good first up contact in defence.

Taufua is past his used by date, as much as i love his strong leg drive and ball carries he is too limited, on top of wasting his good leg drive with slow hands during each play the ball, easily gets down on himself and too much of a confidence player which leads to inconsistent performances.(but he too could be good value at a fair price depth wise)

Last edited:

Purged.

Cartwheel
Levi
Elliot
Waddell
Boyle
She-rex
Metcalf
Afb

Need to be purged.
Garrick
Croker
Jorge Slowfua
Croker
Sipley

Agree that Croker should be purged at least twice ! Well pointed out. Hey, are you really John Hopoate? Reason I ask is because of your stated interest in proctology.

Can we add Tom to the purge yet?

Maybe we should take a Moneyball-type approach and focus on assembling a team based on durability as the number one quality. Scout the players who have shown the greatest reliability to turn up week in week out. That would perhaps help negate our lack of depth and fairytale dreaming?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4