The Prince of Brookvale - Where do you think he is at

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
im interested in what people think about the blokes form.

I think by his lofty standards hes been solid with out being exceptional this season so far which is a bonus for us and totally understandble considering the time he has had out of the game. Lets be honest Stewy at 75% is better than most NRL players.

I get the feeling that they are priming him to peak in the finals, I really feel with Brett at his very best will see us hard to beat come finals time.

Interested to see what you guys think?

I still think he's at about 80%.. Like you, I think he's building up to the finals where he'll peak again. But you can see that we missed him over the last two seasons.

he has lost nothing in defense and what he has lost in attack is more to do with new combinations than it has to do with him

There are 2 things as I see it and this is my unbased opinion only

I think his form is pretty good, and he will still be a great player. Hasnt lost his anticipation, skill and is really ticking along. I think we will find out more next season without the luxury of playing hoppa at Fb in many instances

The thing i worry about more is him. While he still celebrates and enjoys his footy I dont think he carries himself like he once did. He has lost his swagger a little. Looks uptight.

Maybe he has beefed up a lot in the shoulders but he seems to be very hunched at times and it looks as though his head is down. His whole body just doesnt seem to move with the sweet grace it once did. When he runs it looks like he is really trying hard. I dont see his head held high when he motors into the clear like he once did

look maybe im full of it and he lost his neck due to a heavy weight schedule or similar, but ive been wondering this for a while

IMO, brett stewie the player 90%, the man somewhat less

Still not back to full fitness / confidence, but improving week by week. Can understand it taking him a while to get back to 100% given he has basically had 2 years out of the game, not to mention all the other crap he had to go through.

I still cringe everytime he is tackled expecting him to get up limping. He will certainly be a lift for the team in the finals if he shows us his freakish talents which has already been seen on a number of occassions so far since back from injury.

I'm more concerned with our front row maintaining consistency being able to bash other teams without injury.

I think he's fine. I think he isn't being used the way he was before. He seems to be used in close instead of the long distance raids of old.

I just love seeing him out there and enjoying his footy!! There was a time there when i thought it would never happen again.
So every try he scores/sets up I give him a standing ovation and think how lucky we are to have such a superstar back playing for our team!!

Defense is almost to its very best - some of his tackles on the line have been stunning. Overall I agree he is about 80% of his very best. His take of Lyon's difficult pass last weekend shows he still has his huge skills. His timing on chiming in is probably more off due to the forwards not creating the right opportunities. Could be the absolute standout star for us as the finals start.

He is still working combos with Foran & DCE that took ages to build with Orford. The way Snake scored that try off DCE's pass in the Tigers game proves he's still got it. And who can forget his game versus the Broncos a few months back? Sure these are flashes but I'm sure we'll see more of it in the finals and in 2012.

jbb/james said:
There are 2 things as I see it and this is my unbased opinion only

I think his form is pretty good, and he will still be a great player. Hasnt lost his anticipation, skill and is really ticking along. I think we will find out more next season without the luxury of playing hoppa at Fb in many instances

The thing i worry about more is him. While he still celebrates and enjoys his footy I dont think he carries himself like he once did. He has lost his swagger a little. Looks uptight.

Maybe he has beefed up a lot in the shoulders but he seems to be very hunched at times and it looks as though his head is down. His whole body just doesnt seem to move with the sweet grace it once did. When he runs it looks like he is really trying hard. I dont see his head held high when he motors into the clear like he once did

look maybe im full of it and he lost his neck due to a heavy weight schedule or similar, but ive been wondering this for a while

IMO, brett stewie the player 90%, the man somewhat less

I somewhat agree. After the backlash for his gallop he has taken the joy out of his tries. He used to score with a massive smile on his face, salute the crowd and look like he enjoyed every moment.

He still smiles as he scores but now seems to get up turn back to his team mates with a bit more of a business like tone and has a little celebration with them.

His contribution to our team in organising the defensive lines is immense. Brett directs the whole team in defence, much like Matthew Ridge did in the 90s. Add to that his brilliant last ditch defensive efforts and that is why he is an absolutely brilliant defensive fullback. In my view Brett's presence is the main reason why our defence has improved so much compared to last year - particularly on the goal line.

In attack, his flashes of brilliance are just as brilliant but not as frequent as they were in previous seasons. I don't know whether it is a physical or psycholigical thing and whether it is to do with his injuries or his Court case. Maybe it is just not possible to keep up such a high standard for an extended period of time? I don't know whether he will ever be as good as he was in 2008 (I hope so!), but even if he doesn't reach those great heights he is still one of the best players in the NRL.

Not sure where he's at just at present, but come 2pm Sunday he'll be at Brookvale Oval :D

i think he is closer than most to his best.

Only lacking areas i see is combos up the middle and 5/8 stuff

Speed is there, defence is there, scoring 11 from 15 is there.

Just remember Stewy makes the freakish look ordinary, slater the ordinary look freakish

I don't think he is what he was, but he will be next season, with another off season behind him.

I think he's doing really well given the injuries he's had.

Totally agree Clit he has been great however it generally takes a full season and another off season to get back to their best. So bring on 2012 as defending premiers!

It was always going to take time for Brett to get back to full footie form and confidence.

He's going great, its a joy for us to see him out on the paddock and hopefully will shine on in the finals series.

It was always my expectation that after what Brett has been through, it would take til mid 2012 before we saw him return to his very best

Go Stewie!!!

I think all the skills are there.. and hes actually a smarter player.

The difference i see that is different to pre injuries.. is his lack of involvement.. which is understandable as he doesnt want to get injured again.. it will take time by the time he trusts his body again.

He doesnt make as many hit ups as he used to.. even just looking at his stats.. he used to make more dummy half runs after a kick return by a winger.. where as now he gets into dummy half and passes it to the other winger.

I remember him making so many breaks running off players and really getting involved.. but now he just seems to hang out wide and become the Hayne type full back where he makes the plays.

Maybe hes just evolved into this type of player instead.

Either way its great having him back.. and his support play when theres a break is second to none.

Brilliant fullback. Brilliant player.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4