The Players Union

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
What exactly is it they do?

They seem like the most gummy of tigers if you ask me. Surely the Glenn situation is exactly where they should be making statements. Surely they should be looking to speak up for all players who want to be one club men?

Surely they should open their mouths on a whole bunch of issues from dangerous tackles, to constant rule changes, to unfair scheduling?

It seems that the NRL, the Clubs, the sponsors, the TV networks all have a say in the running of the game. But not the players.

So again, what do the Players Union do?

Budgewoi Eagle said:
So again, what do the Players Union do?
Same as other unions. They try to advocate for their members, and when it gets too hard they give up.

The players union is there to protect the rights of the players. It would be nice to see someone speak up about players retention but this is pretty much a club and salary cap thing.

The NRL has made a rod for their own backs. Making clubs give up players that they have nurtured and provided a home for.

Today proves what a ruthless business the game has become and for people like me its hard to understand the logic of it all.

NO club should be forced into a position over a long term player like we have been dealing with over Gifty, Round 7 and the headlines are not about the game but players movements, so sad.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
What exactly is it they do?

I've repeated your thoughts ad nauseam but nothing changes.

They are the most ineffective union since the city of Troy's "land rights to wooden horses" union accepted a gift from their Greek friends.

In what could be a decent first step....would be not to have your office in the NRL's building and have them pay your rent for you!

They are weak and ineffective. In the NHL, nothing gets done without the players association approval.

However, I seem to recall that whenever there's meeting about player's welfare, etc....about 3-5 players only turn up.

So I'm not sure if the majority of the players give a rats.

Reap/sow - who knows?

If they are like any other union then they will fill their leadership with self serving, short term minded, political aspirants. The union is just a stepping stone to greater graft and corruption opportunities once they make it to the Labor front bench.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6