The NRL is a Joke

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The NRL, specifically the people who run it, are a JOKE.

We all saw the ridiculous refereeing standard in the grand final and also throughout the entire year. Can you name any other big sporting competition in the world where games turn into such a lottery? English Premier League Soccer, US Major League Baseball, NBA Basketball, even Super 15 rugby does not have such inconsistent, personal agenda-driven refereeing standards.

Certainly all of the above sports (except Super 15) have less subjective, less technical rules so one could understand why there is no major refereeing dramas in their games - the correct decisions are mostly made and the worthy winner usually always wins. But with the NRL, the winner is determined by personal viewpoints of the idiot in the middle with the whistle.

Rugby league used to snigger at how convoluted and temperamental the refereeing was in rugby union. How times have changed. Now union is fairer than it used to be, refereeing standards have levelled out a lot and you dont see games decided by the individual with the whistle as much anymore. Yes, their rucks and mauls are subjective, but generally both teams usually get penalised just as much as the other team if they are infringing there. The standard has improved a lot.

In the NRL the games are decided by how the referee is feeling on that day or his personal history with that team, as we saw in the grand final (personal agenda).

The Commission need to do something about how easily a referee can be swayed into advantaging one team, whilst disadvantaging the other. It is unacceptable that games are decided (let alone the game's pinnacle) by these emotional variables of one human being. The fans and people who gamble money on the games deserve better.

I am still staggered that a grand final was so adversely influenced by such an incompetent cheating wanker with a whistle. This is peoples livliehoods we are talking about here. Basic fairness should be mandatory. It should not be allowed to happen and the NRL are to blame.

Manly had plenty of opportunities to win that game if good enough. Lyons pass to Wolfies ankles was massive IMO. I reckon if the pass stuck, Manly would have scored and gone on to win.

I know this is probably in contravention of the equal opportunity act but I'd really like the NRL when canvassing for first grade referees to consciously discriminate against morons, cretins, half-wits, idiots, imbeciles and thickos....oh yeah, and cheats, we definitely don't want any more of them.

bones said:
Manly had plenty of opportunities to win that game if good enough.

I dont accept this as a valid line for not getting the victory. We were good enough to win that game, but we were handicapped as the ref was the roosters 14th player on the field - that made it perfectly excusable that we lost. And there would have been more opportunities to win the game had there been just half as many incorrect calls go against us.

bones said:
Lyons pass to Wolfies ankles was massive IMO. I reckon if the pass stuck, Manly would have scored and gone on to win.

I agree yes. But so too was when the ref (and touchie) ignored Jennings playing at Jamie's kick, which they then got the ball from. We would have had a repeat set of 6, 5 metres out from their line - thats an example of the ref taking away a try scoring opportunity of ours, and not us dropping balls where we could have scored.

Either way it does not excuse the pathetic standard of refereeing in the NRL, as well as sweeping the incompetent performances of officials under the carpet. Such inconsistent ref'ing would not be tolerated in the EPL or NBA. NRL referees should be screened by independent psychologists to weed out the ones who are lame ducks. Seriously.

Moondog said:
I know this is probably in contravention of the equal opportunity act but I'd really like the NRL when canvassing for first grade referees to consciously discriminate against morons, cretins, half-wits, idiots, imbeciles and thickos....oh yeah, and cheats, we definitely don't want any more of them.

I didnt see your post before i just made my comment about ref's needing to be observed by independent psychologists. This must start happening. I have no doubt Shayne Hayne suffers from some kind of mental delusion or inferiority complex.

We had four chances this year to show we are better than the Roosters (I don't count the trial match) and we came up with a duck egg. We just have to accept that we were the second best team this year as much as that hurts. I agree the refereeing was disgraceful, but you can't deny the best team all year won the comp. The fact that Manly knocked Souths out will get me through the off season.

bones said:
We had four chances this year to show we are better than the Roosters (I don't count the trial match) and we came up with a duck egg. We just have to accept that we were the second best team this year as much as that hurts. I agree the refereeing was disgraceful, but you can't deny the best team all year won the comp. The fact that Manly knocked Souths out will get me through the off season.

Spot on mate and 110% correct, we did not get past them once in the season...so not surprised we didn't when it came to the big one.

Guess I hoped (prayed) that we'd do a "Souths" on them but not to be.

Im not denying they were the best team all year. They probably were. But that is irrelevant. The beauty of having a finals series is that a team that was not the most consistent and best all year can still win the competition. Enter Manly.

If the refereeing standard in the grand final had a minimum level of integrity and fairness to it, we would have won. We were ass raped by the games officials in the final. Thus, i cannot accept the roosters as being genuinely regarded as the rightful winners of the comp this year. Im not accepting it just because they were viewed by many as the best all year. There is still a big question mark over the grand final.

What matters on grand final day is the psychological view that the referee who is officiating the game has on the two teams participating in it.

But this thread is more about acknowledging the refereeing standard in the NRL not being on the same level as other elite competitions around the world. It is running dead last.

There are things that don't quite "smell right", and this just isn't in the GF

Penalty Counts...and more important when and where they are given.

Forward passes....been going on all year, the crowd can see it, those watching TV can see it YET even with the advantage of a replay SIX refs miss it!!

Inconsistancy.....whats a penalty this week isn't next, or what was on report one week isn't the next.

Conspiracy theories aside this is a multi million dollar game and the simple things should be made right

I agree that the Souths victory made my season, however I can't agree that the refereeing in the GF was any way fair and reasonable. We were denied a fair match. I found it incomprehensible that the video refs didn't alert the on field refs to the Jennings toe tap, especially as it was replayed on the big screen at the ground as the scrum formed. It surely is a simple thing to alter the feed. Anyway it's gone now, but it really rankles with me. The club must put in a formal complaint about Hayne. It is nearly impossible for us to win under that creature.

If you guys beat Manly you want to beat them fair and square, without a dozen or so illegal incidents occurring that were conveniently missed. When its clear cut and not about being given help by ref's to that extreme, the opposition have nothing to say. We wouldnt be having this conversation if it wasnt such a blatant cheat of a grand final.

But of course if the ref's didnt help you out then Manly would have won. Theres only so much we can do against 14 players, one of which has a whistle in his hand. Losing by 8 points probably wasnt so bad when you think about how much say the refs had. We probably would have won by 8-14 points if the refs had an ounce of integrity about them

Easts beat us in the first two matches. No argument there. But in the first semi-final we were superior to them in all aspects, except the score. In the GF we were also the better team (check the stats) until Hayne gave Easts a leg-up.
With all the gambling in sport nobbling a GF ref should not be discounted as a possibility.
Over the course of the season Easts deserved to win the premiership, and I only wish they had done it in the GF without the whiff of bias.

I seem to recall the "Hand of Foran" in the Cowboy semi last year went our way? That was huge in our favour.

Just putting a balance on all this - as gutted as anyone, but I also disagree that the penalty try should have been awarded. It was not 100% certian Lyon would have grounded that ball.

And I'm left wondering, if the mandatory 10 minutes in the Sin Bin may not have been more valuable to us.

I hate losing.

DSM5 said:
I found it incomprehensible that the video refs didn't alert the on field refs to the Jennings toe tap, especially as it was replayed on the big screen at the ground as the scrum formed. It surely is a simple thing to alter the feed.

Yep it's a disgrace that they aren't doing this. We need a second video ref reviewing every play and immediately overturning incorrect decisions, such as the Jennings kick or the knock on in the play the ball that should have been a penalty. They should also be able to look at forward passes. There are more than enough camera angles to make an accurate determination. I don't understand why the NRL aren't using more tech like they do in cricket and tennis. Maybe a review system is worth considering as well.

marooned said:
DSM5 said:
I found it incomprehensible that the video refs didn't alert the on field refs to the Jennings toe tap, especially as it was replayed on the big screen at the ground as the scrum formed. It surely is a simple thing to alter the feed.

Yep it's a disgrace that they aren't doing this. We need a second video ref reviewing every play and immediately overturning incorrect decisions, such as the Jennings kick or the knock on in the play the ball that should have been a penalty. They should also be able to look at forward passes. There are more than enough camera angles to make an accurate determination. I don't understand why the NRL aren't using more tech like they do in cricket and tennis. Maybe a review system is worth considering as well.

The game will go on for hours. it'll be stop/start like Rugby. there's more than enough eyes on the game now, just have to work to make them better

bones said:
Manly had plenty of opportunities to win that game if good enough. Lyons pass to Wolfies ankles was massive IMO. I reckon if the pass stuck, Manly would have scored and gone on to win.

Also Lyon dropped a bomb and they scored in the next set. That was the game changer for me.

Eagles Terrorist said:
The game will go on for hours. it'll be stop/start like Rugby. there's more than enough eyes on the game now, just have to work to make them better

Having a video ref overturn a decision wouldn't take long at all. They just need a separate feed that allows them to replay anything immediately. There is already enough time to overturn a decision. The replays often get televised before play is restarted.

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4