The not-so Magnificent 7

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvereagle

Reserve Grader
Not sure how the rest of you Silvertailers feel about these guys but I am still absolutely fuming. The Des situation currently getting all the focus and attention as it should but lets assume this will be sorted out shortly. Lets also assume we have a new coach. What would you do with these guys?

Personally I have never seen a game or a team or a club get boycotted like that before. I am pretty sure their religion is also against gambling and alcohol but they are quite happy to play for a club that gets sponsored by organisations involved with gambling and alcohol. Quite happy to bank the money they get from that club. But incredibly they choose "inclusiveness" to take a conscientious / ethical stand against and of course, to torpedo our season. Hypocrites? Would you have a guy like that play for our club? What would you do if you were the new Coach and / or the new CEO?
1. Do nothing/ Ignore?
2. If the case, what about our 2023 poisition (that's not a spelling mistake)?
3. Sack all 7?
4. Find out who instigated the whole sorry saga.... and sack him?

I would be happy to have 7 strong men who have the courage to stand by their convictions ... and place their beliefs above money and a game of football ... that's what character is ...

Now you may disagree with their beliefs .... you may think them wrong ... but it's not about you .

Their religion isn't against gambling or alcohol. The scriptures do allow for alcohol (1 Timothy 5:23, Pslams 104:14-15, Ecclesiastes 9:7 among others). There are scriptures to warn us from drinking too much aswell.
When it comes to gambling in scripture, there isn't alot said about it. There is wisdom and warnings that teach about wealth gain. I hardly see the 7 players as hypocrites considering the above facts. Were you familiar with what the scriptures teach on alcohol and gambling before you commented "I pretty sure their religion is also against gambling and alcohol"? If you didn't, then why say it?

Not sure how the rest of you Silvertailers feel about these guys but I am still absolutely fuming. The Des situation currently getting all the focus and attention as it should but lets assume this will be sorted out shortly. Lets also assume we have a new coach. What would you do with these guys?

Personally I have never seen a game or a team or a club get boycotted like that before. I am pretty sure their religion is also against gambling and alcohol but they are quite happy to play for a club that gets sponsored by organisations involved with gambling and alcohol. Quite happy to bank the money they get from that club. But incredibly they choose "inclusiveness" to take a conscientious / ethical stand against and of course, to torpedo our season. Hypocrites? Would you have a guy like that play for our club? What would you do if you were the new Coach and / or the new CEO?
1. Do nothing/ Ignore?
2. If the case, what about our 2023 poisition (that's not a spelling mistake)?
3. Sack all 7?
4. Find out who instigated the whole sorry saga.... and sack him?
Good idea, sack all 7 that would put us in a bigger hole having to pay them out. Might as well just hand our licence to the bears

We flogged this dead horse mercilessly at the time, but personally, I'd rather have seven blokes who are paid to play football playing football. If they want to stand by their convictions (despite not once ever articulating what those convictions might be) then they should seek other employment. I want them to care about winning games of rugby league and nothing else.

But they were allowed to stand down - even encouraged to do so - and the idea of "punishing them for their beliefs" would get culture warriors like old mate Paul Kent frothing at the mouth, so there's no way in hell there will be any sanctions against them. Again, personally I'd be happy to see the back of every single one of them - even the ones with footballing ability - but it isn't going to happen.

Will be very interesting to see what will happen if we try a similar initiative next season. Because apparently it's now okay for players to pick and choose which of the club's various jerseys they will deign to wear, and they can cite "cultural and religious" reasons whenever it suits them, so yeah, good luck with that.

Best case scenario, the players learn and move on from it, which will allow fans to move on with them. Worst case scenario, we continue to have a divided playing group, composed of guys who want to play football and will do anything to win and others who are mainly in it for the prayer circle at the end of every game.

Last edited:
Their religion isn't against gambling or alcohol. The scriptures do allow for alcohol (1 Timothy 5:23, Pslams 104:14-15, Ecclesiastes 9:7 among others). There are scriptures to warn us from drinking too much aswell.
When it comes to gambling in scripture, there isn't alot said about it. There is wisdom and warnings that teach about wealth gain. I hardly see the 7 players as hypocrites considering the above facts. Were you familiar with what the scriptures teach on alcohol and gambling before you commented "I pretty sure their religion is also against gambling and alcohol"? If you didn't, then why say it?

Most of the 7 are Mormons, not Christians. The Mormon faith does not permit the things listed.

But I don't want to flog a dead horse, so will leave it at that.

I am not familiar with scriptures but I am very familiar with their behaviour and their contractual obligations to the Manly club and to the rest of the Manly team. Also we have some close friends who are Mormons and can assure you they don't drink or gamble. I think you will find most of the "7" are Mormons.

I was informed by reliable sources that certain officials, with an axe to grind with the coach, organised the Gay Pride scenario to undermine the rest of the season, which would ( and eventually did ) trigger renewal clauses in that coaches' future contract.

Don't ask me for more details, but I am sure that many league journalists will be easily able to dig up a culprit, knowing that he/they are often a source of insider scuttlebutt, amenable to that official's agenda.

I am not familiar with scriptures but I am very familiar with their behaviour and their contractual obligations to the Manly club and to the rest of the Manly team. Also we have some close friends who are Mormons and can assure you they don't drink or gamble. I think you will find most of the "7" are Mormons.
Where do we get the information that the seven are Mormons? They could be from any number of different religious groups. While I'm on the fence about whether it was right or wrong to boycott, throwing rocks at these guys faith isn't going to help anyone.

I worry more that given approx 50% of the current playing base is of polynesian background, are we going to upset any potential future recruits? If there is a choice out there between playing for Manly and any other club offering similar money, will they choose to play for a club which doesn't impose their wills on their religious beliefs?

Its a **** sandwich.

I was informed by reliable sources that certain officials, with an axe to grind with the coach, organised the Gay Pride scenario to undermine the rest of the season, which would ( and eventually did ) trigger renewal clauses in that coaches' future contract.
Mate, I doubt there was any sinister conspiracy at play. Incompetence, intolerance, and media culture warriors made for the perfect storm.

When it comes to Manly, no doubt there are many, many agendas at play. But those involved are not evil geniuses. Stupidity and a complete lack of professionalism are always the likely culprits.

Don't ask me for more details, but I am sure that many league journalists will be easily able to dig up a culprit, knowing that he/they are often a source of insider scuttlebutt, amenable to that official's agenda.
So a jersey designed last November was part of a Management plan to sabotage the season and have the team miss the top 8 on purpose, to get the Coach sacked???

Manly needs a purge and rebuild. I am sure that some of the seven/ten will be part of that purge. It's got **** all to do with race or religion. It will only be about who is perceived as the best fit for the club, under the new coaching regime. Out of the seven only two, possibly three, are worth keeping longterm. I am sure the media will turn it into a religious/racist thing when it happens though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4