The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can someone conduct a welfare check on @XV-1 please?

I honestly think this is the best thing for the kid… his pathways are blocked since Brooks arrived and that has had a big impact on his state of mind (as it would)

On top of the Titmus death, jersey-gate, injuries, friends leaving etc etc

A fresh start is gonna do him the world of good and, sadly, I am sure he will come back to haunt us in a big game down the track…

strangely I would be OK with that though - best of luck to the kid, I really hope it turns around for him…
I think we've got enough strike in the team to cover for the loss of Josh, both Burbo and Waddell can adequately slot into the back row.
There's heaps of people on here with much more footballing nous than me but I'd love to see some of that money directed towards a top class winger.

So can we now ask WHY and WHO is responsible for re-signing this guy for 3 years on $800K when he showed no form , no enthusiasm and no other clubs were interested. Absolutely astonishing lack of any sense and most supporters were questioning it at the time.

For those wanting Cook or the Penrith winger or whoever else you want to rosterbate with.

We would need to get someone to take all or the majority of Schusters contract.

That seems impossible as it stands.

Sorry to get facts in the way of things.
Not sure why anyone would want Cook anyway,especially given the current situation for no.9’s at the club.As for Schuster’s contract,this announcement seems a bit strange to me.By Manly going public with their intention to allow him to leave,would suggest that Schuster/Tartek have already got the wheels in motion for an exit.I wonder if this is a similar situation to the Lomax/Dragons one.

NRL 2024: Josh Schuster granted immediate release from Manly Sea Eagles​

Manly Sea Eagles have granted Josh Schuster an immediate release from the club, despite extending the $800,000-a-season backrower last year.
Michael Carayannis and David Riccio

less than 2 min read
April 10, 2024 - 1:44PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
6 comments
Josh Schuster is stuck in reserve grade at Manly. Credit: NRL Images.

Josh Schuster is stuck in reserve grade at Manly. Credit: NRL Images.

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Unfollow
Manly have given permission to Josh Schuster to leave if he can find another club.
Schuster is in the midst of an $800,000 contract but has been languishing in reserve grade.
The back-rower has struggled in NSW Cup after an indifferent pre-season.
Coach Anthony Seibold confirmed Schuster was free to leave at the end of the season.
“We have given him permission to find another club,” Seibold said.
It is understood Sea Eagles officials believe Schuster would benefit from a fresh start and the decision is purely performance-related.
Schuster, 22, is contracted to the Sea Eagles until the end of 2027, having extended his deal in June last year.
He reluctantly pulled out of Manly’s NRL season opener against South Sydney in Las Vegas after an off-season plagued by chickenpox, finger surgery and an ongoing calf complaint.
Schuster was meant to be Manly’s long-term five-eighth, but struggled to nail down a starting spot.
Josh Schuster is free to negotiate with rival clubs. Picture: NRL Imagery

Josh Schuster is free to negotiate with rival clubs. Picture: NRL Imagery
Following Luke Brooks’ off-season arrival from the Wests Tigers, the Sea Eagles transitioned Schuster, at 106kg and 185cm, to an edge forward role.
However, coach Anthony Seibold has preferred Haumole Olakau’atu and Ben Trbojevic as his first-choice back-rowers.
Even though Trbojevic has been named in the centres this week as a replacement for Reuben Garrick (concussion), Corey Waddell has been elevated to the starting spot.

More Coverage​

Robbo: Celebrating Jennings’ 300th ‘not disrespectful to women’
‘Angry’: Dropped Souths star details Demetriou axing meeting
Schuster was not even in the 22-man squad to take on the New Zealand Warriors in Auckland on Saturday afternoon.
Instead, he will play lock for NSW Cup feeder club Blacktown against the Warriors in the curtain raiser at Go Media Stadium.
More to come...
Article should read Schuster granted an immediate release
..but only if he wants it...

Wow! I know I said that what I saw on the weekend was either Shu saying that he wanted out or that he knew he was on his way out but I didn't think it would really happen. It is very disappointing coz I had so much hope this kid was going to great for us.

My first thought like some others, is maybe Flanno thinks he can turn him around. But I don't know how realistic that is for their cap. If someone can turn him around, he can still be very good for them.

Torn between being relieved that the whole saga might soon be behind us and bummed that it has turned out this way.

He is not a very tempting offer to other clubs at his current freight. I expect he's not going anywhere. Maybe Seibs is hoping this will spur him on to get him focused and fit to try and earn another contract elsewhere.
Neither is Zac Lomax,but the Dragons have managed to get him off their books from next year

So can we now ask WHY and WHO is responsible for re-signing this guy for 3 years on $800K when he showed no form , no enthusiasm and no other clubs were interested. Absolutely astonishing lack of any sense and most supporters were questioning it at the time.
The only thing i disagreed about was how much we offered him, not the length of the contract. If it was around the 450k amount a big part of the presure would of been off him. But with the big price tag comes the acceptability to perform at a high level, o well, bye bye Josh.

Lets not jump the gun and just let this play out.

So far all that has happened is we have told Josh he can look elsewhere.

That may be next year, could come sooner. He may not get a buyer and stay or this may be the shove he needs and he turns it around. He may leave with us paying frieght, may take a paycut or maybe there is a swap.

Many ways this can go

Sad because the man clearly has some talent, but does not seem to be able to mentally cope with any kind of pressure. A total waste of money, and why we committed to such a high price for a long-ish deal is beyond me..

Usually when these announcements are made there is already a plan in place but on current and the past few seasons form who the fxck would take him? Wherever he goes this might be the wake up call he needed and sees that he is not in demand maybe he'll realise that he needs to pul his finger and have a crack. It's not like he has seemed interested in a long time to put in the work required so maybe he'll just walk away from the game? It wont working here so good for both sides to let him go.

Can someone conduct a welfare check on @XV-1 please?

I honestly think this is the best thing for the kid… his pathways are blocked since Brooks arrived and that has had a big impact on his state of mind (as it would)

On top of the Titmus death, jersey-gate, injuries, friends leaving etc etc

A fresh start is gonna do him the world of good and, sadly, I am sure he will come back to haunt us in a big game down the track…

strangely I would be OK with that though - best of luck to the kid, I really hope it turns around for him…

LOL. I am fine, but thanks for asking.

No official statement from the club.

This is one of three things, or maybe a combo of them.

Schu is contracted to Manly for the next 3 seasons - Schu doesn't have to go anywhere if he doesn't want to. I am sure he doesn't want to play reserve grade either.

- a final ultimatum for Schu to get serious about fitness and footy. If he does this, he will be back in the team sometime soon. If he doesn't, he is not playing first grade for Manly.

- Spoony can't coach any young players, aka his Broncos disaster, so since Schu actually needs help in several areas, including coaching - Spoony is letting him go, just like the other up and coming juniors - eg Fainu brothers.

- Schu will be gone very soon to another club with Manly paying for him to play there, just like the Fainu brothers and Keppie.

Interesting to see how this plays out.

He is not a very tempting offer to other clubs at his current freight. I expect he's not going anywhere. Maybe Seibs is hoping this will spur him on to get him focused and fit to try and earn another contract elsewhere.
Hopefully there is someone more desperate and dumber than us to pay him big $$ on potential.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10