The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Schuster is down on fitness and possibly attitude, though he has some class about him, he will make the 17 stronger that’s for sure.

There have been some players over the years that have been picked from obscurity, Arthur Beetson and Bob Linder from reserve grade to playing origin and having great games.

Olsen Filipaina picked from reserve grade to playing international for New Zealand against the Aussies and having a blinder.

Not too discredit the fitness that is required to play first grade but Schuster has skills that a large majority of the players at the club just don’t have.
The Schu is like that rainbow in the distance, the closer you get to the end of the rainbow and the supposed gold, the further it get's away from you. Just hoping the Schu will prove everyone wrong tho..

No dispute on that. The fact is we did offer the Shu a significant contract based on significant potential. So far we have not seen that potential. So we are now down to persevere or punt. I would be persevering longer with the guy while most on here probably would not. Simple difference of opinion .......and judgement. Time will tell.
I am super disappointed with his progression but, as others have said, persevering is really our only option at this point…
Manly has no option but to give him every chance to work himself out of the current situation as the only other option is us contributing to his wage to play elsewhere…
There is a very good chance that getting him right mentally is the key so he should be allowed to play any role in ressies that he wants so long as it gives him a clear (and realistic) pathway back to the NRL squad…
mate, at this point I would be letting him door-dash KFC to the gym if that is what is gonna make the kid happy and get his motivation happening…

I'm not disputing that he doesn't deserve to be in 1st grade because he clearly is unfit and unmotivated , but someone should be accountable and explain why a $600K or $800K or whatever it is player isn't performing. Chewing up a vast amount of salary cap and providing zero for it.

So what ..his contact is his contact

As long as the 17 we put out to play preform.. I don't care what they are being paid

Every club has players in the reggies who are on various contracts and it shouldn't matter.. Sivo, Big Nelson and co.. Shu is just one of them..

My only interest on the clubs accountability is making sure we put out our best 17 and we win.

As long as the 17 we put out to play preform.. I don't care what they are being paid

Every club has players in the reggies who are on various contracts and it shouldn't matter.. Sivo, Big Nelson and co.. Shu is just one of them..

My only interest on the clubs accountability is making sure we put out our best 17 and we win.

The thing is our club really can’t afford to have that money tied up in a reserve grade player. We don’t have the luxury like the Roosters or Melbourne having astute accounting.
We could really use that money to bring in a top line hooker or backrower. We HAVE to maximise our salary cap and squad balance if we are to win this thing.

I get what your saying that if everyone performs well in 1st grade it won’t be an issue, but it will be come finals time.

We have to get him off the books asap.

The premise of your argument is completely correct of course… and Recruitment team do not have the advantage of being able to see into the future…
Thing with Schu that is frustrating is he was not in good form when they decided to offer another 3 years… other teams were not knocking the door down so some of that 600k or 800k may have got us a bloody good hooker/utility or a better wing centre option…
Of course we do not know the details of his contract so maybe it was structured (eg. ratcheting up over the 3 years) to allow us to get what we have?? Hope so as 600k was too much based on what he was delivering then and is way too much based on what he is delivering now… 800k would be sheer madness…

The premise of your argument is completely correct of course… and Recruitment team do not have the advantage of being able to see into the future…
Thing with Schu that is frustrating is he was not in good form when they decided to offer another 3 years… other teams were not knocking the door down so some of that 600k or 800k may have got us a bloody good hooker/utility or a better wing centre option…
Of course we do not know the details of his contract so maybe it was structured (eg. ratcheting up over the 3 years) to allow us to get what we have?? Hope so as 600k was too much based on what he was delivering then and is way too much based on what he is delivering now… 800k would be sheer madness…

Would love to know what the specifics of his contract is. Eg. KPIs to be met.
Surely we gave ourselves an out signing him that long especially given his fitness history and motivation levels.
I actually couldn’t believe it at the time of the announcement of his contract upgrade. I was counting down the days to his departure to the Tigers to be reunited with uncle Scott.

Rumour has it Scott Fulton may be off to the Dragons. Hopefully he can convince Flanno to throw Schuster a lifeline.

Well, I'm prepared to wait a bit longer. What he showed in 21 is something I think he can get back, just mentally in a bad place atm. He's only 22, lets give him that chance at least.
I agree. Look at Cartwright now at the squeels, he's improved out of sight and now the player he was forecast to be. Maturity is what Schuster lacks, Cartwright was the same. I understand he's costing the club money playing reserves, but it's the kick up the butt that he might finally, one day soon, realise he's wasting his talents.

I agree. Look at Cartwright now at the squeels, he's improved out of sight and now the player he was forecast to be. Maturity is what Schuster lacks, Cartwright was the same. I understand he's costing the club money playing reserves, but it's the kick up the butt that he might finally, one day soon, realise he's wasting his talents.
I just feel it's going to be that lightbulb moment for Josh, he just hasn't hit the switch yet, but don't think it's to far off tbh. He's a special talent and one that's worth persevering with.

that's really disappointing .I agree its maturity he lacks .
I hope we arent throwing baby's out with the bath water there

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 1.28.11 PM.jpeg

Thing is… would Cartwright have come good if he dit not move from the panthers and then the titans and be faced with the prospect of not knowing if a fourth club would pick him up? Point 2 is probably “has Bryce actually come good? How long will his form hold up?

There is something to be said for human ability to gain inspiration from adversity…

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8