The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Put him on the edge, he can unlock Shuster better than any other player in our team by far.

Maybe down the track he could play lock if he works on his fitness. Allow him to just run with the ball a little more, but work rate in defence would need to improve.
Agree edge backrower is his position atm. Not enough defence and work rate for a lock ,but would be lethal on an edge with his skills.

The current situation with Schu is not entirely his fault. Many years ago when he was playing juniors, the club put junior premierships ahead of player development. Schu’s incredible skill was utilised to torch oppositions in SG Ball, etc. but blind Freddy could see it wasn’t going to equate to success in FG when he filled out. He should have been coached to play tough years ago and he would be reaping the rewards now. Instead, they played him at 6 and he has developed habits that are not lending themselves to what is essentially a completely different game at FG level. I kinda feel sorry for him.
I also blame his manager always pushing for more money & demanding he be given the #6 jersey.

It’s created this situation where the upper hand has suddenly flipped from Tartak to Manly.

I wonder how Schu truly feels about the 5/8th position - is he determined that is his only position or is it Tartak who has told him it is because of the bigger money that comes with it?

I also wonder if his inconsistency at 5/8th might be because of pressure put on him by Tartak?

Maybe he just wants to play footy, regardless of what position he plays.

Have to think that Shu should be capable to get back to his very impressive 2021 level [ except the very latter stages ] in the back row . 13 role maybe could adapt to if he can regain that previous form level again but edge initially or when Brooks arrives . Just has to be totally mindful that whether at 6 or on an edge he is in the i st line of defence and must make EVERY effort to effect a tackle and just not arm grab and offer a feeble effort . And then just do his own thing in attack utilizing all of his undoubted ability and skill on an edge , Could even hopefully justify his 800 k price tag then

IMHO I Hope he is moved into the forwards now, happy to see Arthur or Croker see the year out at 6 . Lawton and GCKT can play the 9 roles

So the mission for the Shooey is simple .... become an $800k a year backrower ... that is elite status .. no worries.

and please ... for the love of God .... none of this put on weight to play 2nd row bull**** like last time .. You can put on a few kg's of muscle and still stay fit ..

Unless you're a slow former half playing hooker, then you can keep the spot for years and even become captain!
The difference? Work rate, intensity, effort…

People recognise that Croker is not a highly skilled hooker (has his days tho) but the thing nobody questions is his effort and therefore the fact that he is giving it his absolute all…

He and Schu are polar opposites in that regard… when was the last time you saw Schu walk off the field bloodied and spent like Froggy looks after almost every game?

This is the ultimate show of faith by Manly as Schu has been nowhere near an $800,000 player
At his best there have been glimpses and I'm a fan of his ability.
Actually agreed with Tallis comment that he is "out of games" for long periods and if you are an $800,000 player, you need to be damn dominant.
If the Schu can happily play his part and grasp his full potential the money will be well spent.
I personally like the fact he now realises his future is in the back row where he can earn the big bucks by being more on the ball in all in the tougher parts of the game.
Defensively will need to be better as has let in a few soft tries on his inside shoulder which is a big no for a bloke protecting his half defensively.
This young gun will get better with age and this team, if stays healthy, could be lethal in coming years.

Schuster signs three-year extension to remain at Manly​

Manly’s signing spree continues, with the club locking down rising playmaker Josh Schuster for another three years.

The news comes the day after the Sea Eagles announced the signing of Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks on a four-year deal, meaning Schuster’s future on the peninsula appears to be in the back row, something the 22-year-old has accepted.

He informed the club of his decision late on Monday night. The deal is believed to be worth $2.4 million over three seasons.

Brooks will end up being the highest paid bench/NSW cup player 👏 🙂

Have to think that Shu should be capable to get back to his very impressive 2021 level [ except the very latter stages ] in the back row . 13 role maybe could adapt to if he can regain that previous form level again but edge initially or when Brooks arrives . Just has to be totally mindful that whether at 6 or on an edge he is in the i st line of defence and must make EVERY effort to effect a tackle and just not arm grab and offer a feeble effort . And then just do his own thing in attack utilizing all of his undoubted ability and skill on an edge , Could even hopefully justify his 800 k price tag then
It is also nice that the club is taking back control of the team, not the other way around. Get on the bus :bus::bus::bus::bus::bus:

Might want to check where he played in that game, I'll give you a hint Foran wasn't playing

I'll be in the minority here but I still believe Schu is a 5/8, he's literally only played 8 games there this year and only 5 of them with Tommy for 4 wins and 1 loss (vs Souths). The last 2 weeks haven't been great but we've had a weakened team and played strong opposition away from home, Schu hasn't played well but he's certainly not alone in that regard

That's not to say I don't think he can't play backrow, so I hope he stays and sticks it to everyone that keeps writing him off. He's got some things to work on in his game but what 22 year old doesn't? Seems like we need to get rid of anyone if they aren't a superstar immediately on here. Unless you're a slow former half playing hooker, then you can keep the spot for years and even become captain!
Also that was the year Schuster was signed for the amount he is on to play at 6 (according to his manager at the time). Now 2 years later and trying to recapture that form with half the season left , he is written off by some . For me he is too good a player to be written off but also wondering what would have happen if he had played 6 in the last 2 years .It's like Schuster is the only one playing when reading some of the opinions after every game .He can only move forward and hope he can recapture his form before the season ends .Let's go Maaaaaaanly .

He realised the reality of the gift in front of him and couldn’t sign fast enough, hopefully he can repay the club by becoming that dominant edge, not holding my breath on this one, think shoe on 800 plus and JA on 600 is money down the drain. Look at the options 1.4 puts in our pack and ask how it measures up. Hopefully he (they both make me choke on my words)

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8