The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Respectfully that is crap and you know it.

Des had Schu play 2nd row as he brought back his fav son Foran to play 5/8th.

Set back Manly and Schu well over 2 years. Imagine how good Schu would be now of he played 5/8th the last two years.
I heard Jake and Tom tell Andrew John’s and Alan Langer this exact thing at a charity dinner last Wednesday night.

Andre John’s then pressed both boys in front of the crowd about Shoes role at the club.

Des wasn’t a fan of Shoe according to them.

It's apparent that Schuster is somewhat of an enigma (not in a bad way). Let himself define who he is. I
Nice perspective. And a little ironic as I'm not sure I've agreed with many of your posts before!

Because the kid has rare talent many of us (including me) get upset with him at times for 'wasting his talent' or 'not being professional enough' or not training hard enough. Or whatever.

But you make a great point. Of course Manly, and we fans, would love him to become the next club immortal, a mega talent to wins us a few more comps.

Yet every one of us knows (well not knows from personal experience, but it's just common knowledge confirmed by just about every succesful first grader) that sacrifice is required to succeed in NRL.
A lot of sacrifice!

This kid may not be inclined to put himself all the way through the mill. It's painful, probably at times dead boring. And any sacrifice has to be weighed. He is going to make bundles of money playing footy even if he is only at 75%. To 'realise his full potential' he'll need to be near 100% most of the time. But does he need that? Does he need a million a year when he may be happy with half a mil? Let's be real, he could go to England and dominate. Maybe even rugby union?

I (who even if I could ever make a single tackle in NRL would probably never get up, I'd be killed) felt a little scornful of Schu's inaction in the 2 Raider tries. But how many did he create for us? Not to mention, he single-handedly changed the entire dynamic of the team - for the better.

So, I'm going to try to curtail my own irrelevant expectations of Schu! And simply try to enjoy his journey. I sure hope it all plays out at Manly and I hope he enjoys his career and brings us great success. (Let's face it, if he doesn't we'll show him the door anyway, that is the ruthless nature of NRL!)

Go Schu!

Nice perspective. And a little ironic as I'm not sure I've agreed with many of your posts before!

Because the kid has rare talent many of us (including me) get upset with him at times for 'wasting his talent' or 'not being professional enough' or not training hard enough. Or whatever.

But you make a great point. Of course Manly, and we fans, would love him to become the next club immortal, a mega talent to wins us a few more comps.

Yet every one of us knows (well not knows from personal experience, but it's just common knowledge confirmed by just about every succesful first grader) that sacrifice is required to succeed in NRL.
A lot of sacrifice!

This kid may not be inclined to put himself all the way through the mill. It's painful, probably at times dead boring. And any sacrifice has to be weighed. He is going to make bundles of money playing footy even if he is only at 75%. To 'realise his full potential' he'll need to be near 100% most of the time. But does he need that? Does he need a million a year when he may be happy with half a mil? Let's be real, he could go to England and dominate. Maybe even rugby union?

I (who even if I could ever make a single tackle in NRL would probably never get up, I'd be killed) felt a little scornful of Schu's inaction in the 2 Raider tries. But how many did he create for us? Not to mention, he single-handedly changed the entire dynamic of the team - for the better.

So, I'm going to try to curtail my own irrelevant expectations of Schu! And simply try to enjoy his journey. I sure hope it all plays out at Manly and I hope he enjoys his career and brings us great success. (Let's face it, if he doesn't we'll show him the door anyway, that is the ruthless nature of NRL!)

Go Schu!
No one begrudged Cliffy for having a smoko at half time back in the day and yet he still delivered the goods. Schuster can probably still get by if he had passable fitness, but I guess if he was carrying weight like Owen Craigie then a different conversation might be had. He's shown that his natural ability and size is built for the sport..which puts him ahead of most guys who are scratching to get a gig even if theyre peak fit.

No one begrudged Cliffy for having a smoko at half time back in the day and yet he still delivered the goods. Schuster can probably still get by if he had passable fitness, but I guess if he was carrying weight like Owen Craigie then a different conversation might be had.
Cliffy is a fair comparison, I think he copped plenty in the first part of his career mostly for being so unorthodox and trying things that didn't always come off, losing possession. Persevered to become one of the most watchable players ever.

Cliffy is a fair comparison, I think he copped plenty in the first part of his career mostly for being so unorthodox and trying things that didn't always come off, losing possession. Persevered to become one of the most watchable players ever.

Cliffy didn't start playing first grade until he was 24.
Wasn't the first choice 5/8th for Manly until he was 26.

Some need to give Schu a break and as has been said, let him be the best version of himself.

Interesting, I just checked, Cliffy was 23 years and 5 months and 3 days when he debuted for Norths in 1985, according to RLPP
Next season at Manly he played lock. In 1987 he moved to 5/8 in Round 7. Manly lost, and lost the next week too. Then won 11 on the trot, and the rest is history. :)

Great memories for anyone who followed Manly in the late 80s, speedsters O'Connor and Shearer running long distances in space, orchestrated by Cliffy, so good to watch.
2021 reminded me of those times.
And yesterdays win reminded me of 2021!
If Schu can continue to set Turbo Saab and also Koula loose, we may not win the comp but ... it will be worth watching!

I heard Jake and Tom tell Andrew John’s and Alan Langer this exact thing at a charity dinner last Wednesday night.

Andre John’s then pressed both boys in front of the crowd about Shoes role at the club.

Des wasn’t a fan of Shoe according to them.
Interesting, thanks for posting that, I always believed Des had issues with shoe and that he handled the whole Shoe, Foz, five eight, personal relationship situation pretty poorly. We‘re lucky Shoe stuck with us after going though some tuff issues over the last couple of years, personally, professionally and on the injury front, hopefully it’s all in the past now and his focused on becoming the best 6 in the game, the ball‘s squarely in his court and reflecting upon recent events, it appears things are beginning to fall into place. A fit, injury free run for the remainder of the year would be great and if that happens in conjunction with Tom enjoying the same, we may well just find ourselves back playing semi final footy, one can only hope.

Last edited:
Just rewatched the first half.

The 3rd try from Manly is just magic. Schu running sideways with eyes for Parker. Fainu comes up on the inside suks up a canb defender, Schu looks like he is about to pass it to Parker, canb defence goes for Parker. In a split second Schu lollys the ball inside, no-look straight into Turbos hands running at full speed, a jink and try!!

About as perfect a move a footy team can come up with.

Really hope Manly can keep this up now.

20230522_214725.jpg

Young Josh should have enjoyed his run on Sunday and I hope it had reinforced to him he needs to work even harder to achieve all of his potential. If he does it going to be one hell of a ride. Unfortunately Des slowed his progress and injuries have been unkind. Lest hope he can string together many more games this season at 5/8.

will be very interesting to see how the team goes with this week with schu in and dce out
fired on 1 cylinder the other way round

schu cant lose really, plays well its a win
plays poor, its croker and not having a gamebreaker half on the other side.
That is a very sad standard set on ST. even though im being a smarty bum its poor

only to see dce do 1 good thing in a team with a 30 million cap to be declared king of the orient

going to be a fun forum time leading into the bye . get some sleep people, food in the house, call in sick, someone will go to meltdown ,

sharpen your pencils stat merchants, that 2013 MOM in a losing GF will be getting a big airing, like no other manly fans were alive.

also this is just a post. MELTDOWN season is the knights game up to origin 1.

Just so essential for Josh to keep his fitness level up whether it includes Spud Carrol, in the Manly system or however . Even down on general fitness just slightly , can have a real effect on staying in the game to best effect and some of those split second decision making attacking options . Not to mention playing his required part in defence positionally and effort wise . Sure that in time when he ideally is playing on a regular basis , he will be threatening opposing defences even more with tackle busts capability but main strength of course his sleight of hand with ball skills which is a gift that will always hopefully keep on giving for Manly . Kicking game not so shabby either but only when seems best suited .

Just so essential for Josh to keep his fitness level up whether it includes Spud Carrol, in the Manly system or however . Even down on general fitness just slightly , can have a real effect on staying in the game to best effect and some of those split second decision making attacking options . Not to mention playing his required part in defence positionally and effort wise . Sure that in time when he ideally is playing on a regular basis , he will be threatening opposing defences even more with tackle busts capability but main strength of course his sleight of hand with ball skills which is a gift that will always hopefully keep on giving for Manly . Kicking game not so shabby either but only when seems best suited .

You mention Josh's kicking game. His short kicking game on Sunday was superb. I can't think of any of his 6 or 7 kicks that didn't hit the mark, including the the no-look sideways kick to the posts where Bully touched down, but Croker knocked it forward.

Hopefully he can keep this up as having two points of attack on 6th tackle can only be good for Manly.

No idea if he has a long kicking game like DCE.

You mention Josh's kicking game. His short kicking game on Sunday was superb. I can't think of any of his 6 or 7 kicks that didn't hit the mark, including the the no-look sideways kick to the posts where Bully touched down, but Croker knocked it forward.

Hopefully he can keep this up as having two points of attack on 6th tackle can only be good for Manly.

No idea if he has a long kicking game like DCE.

It just had to be a no look kick didn’t it 😂

A lot of sacrifice!

Go Schu!

I agree with all of this ... the world needs the artist as much as the artisan .. (but not poets .. fukk the poets) ...

But I fear the NRL is not an environment best suited to casual application .... Normally sober people on here wanted to gut, draw and quarter some blokes for standing down for just one game due to their religious belief's .... patience will soon leave those if a bloke was missing 3 games out of every 4 because he was "different" or lazy ...

Unless I have my seasons wrong, we were definitely missing more than Turbo, for starters Davey did his ACL in the first couple of rounds, Sironen missed a fair chunk of the season early and Olakau’atu had dislocated his elbow fairly badly so the backrow stocks were heavily depleted early on which saw Schuster get promoted

Had he been available in round 1, who knows where it all would have landed

Point was we weren't that badly off. Olakau'atu was yet to make his mark. He had only just come into the side in the finals weeks 2019 and played only two games before 2020. Davey didnt start playing for Manly until 2021. Yes Curits was off injured

I agree with all of this ... the world needs the artist as much as the artisan .. (but not poets .. fukk the poets) ...
Before you start fukkking any Poets
Please get your facts right feathered friend

Poetry is a form of literary art in which language is used for its aesthetic and evocative qualities in addition to, or in lieu of, its apparent meaning. Poetry may be written independently, as discrete poems, or may occur in conjunction with other arts, as in poetic drama, hymns, lyrics, or prose poetry.

Take it away William ...

LOVE ME OR HATE ME
BOTH ARE IN MY FAVOUR
IF YOU LOVE ME I WILL ALWAYS BE IN YOUR HEART
IF YOU HATE ME I WILL ALWAYS BE IN YOUR MIND
William Shakespeare .

Before you start fukkking any Poets
Please get your facts right feathered friend

Poetry is a form of literary art in which language is used for its aesthetic and evocative qualities in addition to, or in lieu of, its apparent meaning. Poetry may be written independently, as discrete poems, or may occur in conjunction with other arts, as in poetic drama, hymns, lyrics, or prose poetry.

Take it away William ...

LOVE ME OR HATE ME
BOTH ARE IN MY FAVOUR
IF YOU LOVE ME I WILL ALWAYS BE IN YOUR HEART
IF YOU HATE ME I WILL ALWAYS BE IN YOUR MIND
William Shakespeare .

Every 300 or 400 years civilizations will throw up one bard of exceptional brilliance ...

I have no inclination or desire to suffer the self gratifying incoherent mumblings of the pathetic dribblers in between.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8