The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Don't say I didn't tell you this 2 years ago.

Schu proved tonight what a special talent he is. He did more tonight in attack than Foran did in the last two years.

Alternatively, Foran did more defending in an average game than the Sydney Sulky has done in two years. Hyperbole - right back at you.

Last night proved that the ‘Sulky still has some way to go as a defender.

Alternatively, Foran did more defending in an average game than the Sydney Sulky has done in two years. Hyperbole - right back at you.

Sorry Terry Way off the mark. Schuster on average had close to 30 tackles a game as a second rower. Foran about half that on average. And Schuster's reliability (missed tackle ratio) with his defense was one of the better forwards. Check your figures. He'a a far better defender than Foran. He missed three tackles this match and completed 14. Not bad for a player playing his first game for the year in that heat. Just for comparison last week, against St George, Foran with the Titans completed 19 tackles and miss 4.

Very happy for Schu (and Manly) that he had such a great game, but I don't buy the line that he'd be far better if he'd been 5/8 for the last 2 years. You could equally argue that those last 2 years taught him crucial lessons about the toughness and dedication required to succeed at NRL level.
Anyway, fingers crossed it's all onward and upward from here, he's a unique talent, no question.

What Bearfax said, you are totally wrong. If you luv Foran so much, follow the Titans.

Schuster is here, finally and the future looks good.

How many 21 year olds have the balls and skill to do the chip n chase that Tommy scored on. Foran certainly never had it.
That WAS the play that stopped the rot and got Manly back into the lead in the 2nd half.

It will be on the highlight reels all year.

Last edited:
Very happy for Schu (and Manly) that he had such a great game, but I don't buy the line that he'd be far better if he'd been 5/8 for the last 2 years. You could equally argue that those last 2 years taught him crucial lessons about the toughness and dedication required to succeed at NRL level.
Anyway, fingers crossed it's all onward and upward from here, he's a unique talent, no question.
I agree, I think 2 seasons outside of Foz gave him some good insights into playing 5/8th at NRL level & also gave him a good taste of how intense a game it is.

His best game to date. Timing was excellent in attack with 3 TAs. Defensive decisions and attention to detail not quite there yet, but that should improve.

At the ground you notice just how big he is. My issue with that is... contrary to what I thought before he debuted, he hasn't/doesn't really use that frame to smash through tackles like a playmaking second rower.

So, one does wonder if he'd be better off dropping 5-10kg or so. It seems like he's carrying extra mass that just isn't needed for the type of role he plays. Which I'm guessing would probably help with conditioning and injuries.

Foran was great for us in the last 2 season’s especially last year. The constant need to rubbish anyone who leaves the club is poor form in my opinion . Schuster played good last night and was one of best. Hopefully he gets better but it’s only one game early in a season, as someone said on Fox coverage there will be games where none of the flashy stuff comes off? How will some on here react to that?? I think I know….

Foran was great for us in the last 2 season’s especially last year. The constant need to rubbish anyone who leaves the club is poor form in my opinion . Schuster played good last night and was one of best. Hopefully he gets better but it’s only one game early in a season, as someone said on Fox coverage there will be games where none of the flashy stuff comes off? How will some on here react to that?? I think I know….

Outside the chip n chase, did Schu do anything flashy last night? He was the perfect link man passing to a team mate to put them into a better position than himself.

He hasn't even started his flashy stuff 😀

Firstly Fox is less reliable than the weather forecast a week's hence.

Foran was very tough, reliable and consistent. A great competitor. So is Parker. But they wont win you games. They do their job, sometimes do clever things. But they wont win you games.

Manly's problem has been we've relied on DCE and Turbo to do those things needed to win games. When Turbo is absent we rely on DCE and its easy to contain one player.

Schuster adds a quality few player possess. He doesn't have to run hard at the opposition. All he has to do is create a question mark. Will he run, will he pass, when will he pass, which direction will he pass, will he kick over or under, will he jink and delay the defensive line. These are the talents of a top ball player.

Foran was a top competitor, hard running, reliable but generally predictable especially in later years. Schuster is more like a developing Mark Ella, Andrew Johns or Cliff Lyons. They create uncertainty in the opposition defense and consequently create space for others to use. Been arguing about this for years about this kid.

Schuster needs to be an option to kick on the fifth. DCE was isolated many times last night, but for his guile and ability he got the kicks away.
Shoe just loitering too far up in the line.

So, one does wonder if he'd be better off dropping 5-10kg or so.

I heard he has dropped 10-12 kg & is now 98 kg. When he decides to run, he can step around defenders or else plough through them if necessary. I want to see him in open space to see how his speed work has progressed.

To be fair he has Turbo & Garrick to pass to on the outside. I could probably get one with them there & I've got two duff shoulder & a duff knee.

Those players need you to position yourself to offer them the opportunity to do what they do. I would suggest you watch what Schuster does closely (slow motion if you like..its very delicate) with each of those set ups. Its not just receiving and passing, its timing and attracting the defense. Those tries possibly could have been made anyway but I doubt it. As I've said Schuster creates space because he puts the defense in two minds. I remember Cliffy doing this time and again. Its a delicate art and often not realised. Its a delaying of the pass for just the right moment and some players just have it innately and know when to pass just at the right moment for others to find a gap. Made Menzies a try scoring freak.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4