The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Schu played this year as if he was lacking in confidence, or maybe as if he was not really sure where he belonged in the side.
The sooner they get this coaching stuff sorted so he can have a full off season to settle into his role the better.
Have faith though, he will come good.

I do hope he plays direct and straight , to offset DCE's crabbing and circles. Something that doesn't support the particular hybrid of forwards we have.

Players like Olakau'atu thrive off getting the ball when they are running from the rafters , on their toes type footy...not at a standing start as is becoming accustomary with DCE

I do hope he plays direct and straight , to offset DCE's crabbing and circles. Something that doesn't support the particular hybrid of forwards we have.

Players like Olakau'atu thrive off getting the ball when they are running from the rafters , on their toes type footy...not at a standing start as is becoming accustomary with DCE
I wonder about the relationship between DCE and Schu. DCE really doesn't strike me as the nurturing type and I'm not sure that he'd be thrilled about having a younger half get the Dally M points each week. Schu played much better with Foz as his halves partner. Hopefully Seibold will take young Josh under his wing.

Not too sure how much weight Josh should ideally have to shed to get to his optimum playing level and was surprised that he was at one stage around the 120 k g last season . . Obviously making a very serious effort to get back into some proportional weight- competitive level . Can "t imagine him losing his natural talent and flair skills , shouldn 't take much for his confidence level to be up to par . Often compared to a Wally Lewis type pivot player , question would be also whether Wally would be as effective a 6 in the modern era and type of play . Other option could be whether he could evolve into a Glen Stewart type 13 back rower , still have Latu Fainu and Weekes to maybe come into contention soon in the halves . Sure that he will have a crack there [ 6 ] and have to just see how it goes from there .

Okay, all you fitness experts have solved his physical problems .... and hopefully being fitter will solve the lazy tag as well .. although I can't see him matching Foran for first up in the kick chase .

So, can we now change tack to discuss the other elephant in the room ...

Is he mentally well balanced ... does his brain work properly ... will he make the right decisions on the field ?

As I said in 2020, his no look pass is not his "trick" shot ... it is a symptom of a compulsive disorder .. he throws them 10 times a game when there is absolutely no need, and no advantage to doing so .

I did notice in his last game that he fought the compulsive desire fairly well ... must have been given a tip to lose it by Dessie .. will Seibold and Flannigan share his love of the senseless high risk play, or will they tell him to put it away ?

No doubt the Shu has the talent and skill set to be a star ... but it will be a combination of both the physical and the mental ....

I wish him all the best ...

I appreciate your concerns Woodsie and I guess only time will answer them.

However let's forget 2022 for the moment. He started off injured, was obviously unfit and overweight, and his motivation seemed lacking. Reasonable to suggest this based on observations.

However a few points.

Its easy to forget what Schuster was like before 2022. As far as speed is concerned, a quick look at that highlights package suggests he is quite deceptively quick. I recall instances in 2021 when he was keeping pace quite easily with our backs. A fit Schuster, I would suggest, is quite fleet footed. And he does seem to have a good kicking game if its utilised properly

As for the trick shot, it seems to be what he's being judged on solely in his attacking arsenal. Its like suggesting Warne's famous spin around Gatting's legs was all there was. And I would suggest Schuster is not alone in using it. Thing is, it was a very clever play but only one of a bag of tricks the kid seems to have (a few seen in his highlights). I've suggested before the trick shots are often game breakers and Cliffy used some often. But the difference was players were ready to take advantage of them.

Important I think to appreciate, Schuster is not a one trick player. He also has that rare talent of seeing moves before they happen, and having the time to play them. But we'll have to wait and see. I got a sense his confidence had been shot in 2022. The fact that he has apparently been making such an effort to train, lose weight, sacrifice his chance of playing with Samoa in England etc suggest to me he realises he's let himself and the team down. I for one hope he doesnt stop using his bag of tricks. That's what makes him so effective and a pleasure to watch.

A lot of young blokes need that extra kick in the butt.
And I'm sure no one here has ever heard of Des stifling a players natural game.
A change is as good as a holiday and the kid is already showing some maturity
with staying home and opting out of the world cup to get fit.
Next year is his year ,big things coming.
Good luck son ,you cant keep a champion down.

Spot on mate, he'll be amazing next season.

Well said feathered friend
You put things is great perspective

Shoe has so much talent. I predict 2023 will be a huge year for him. Everyone is going to love the shoe.

images.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11