The Next 18 months for The Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The low membership numbers we have are a major concern. I try to talk to as many Sea Eagle supporters at away games as possible, or whereever I meet them, and one thing always stands out - most just don't go looking for the official site and haven't considered membership. They show up in their jerseys at places like the GC, Brizie, parra but just haven't had the inclination or thought to become closer to the club.

My guess is that the only way to really expand is to broaden the advertising the club does into regional newspapers and targeted portal sites. That means that the membership package offered to those away from the northern beaches needs to be highly attractive. The out-of-town membership usually includes the first home game ticket and if at all possible that needs to be changed to any game. A huge number bring their kids so I would target the ads along the lines of what it would mean for them, such as a signed birthday card (used to be done) and a team poster.

The club has already done some very good things. The NZ membership offering now includes entry to the Warriors game at Brookie and priority booking for the game in NZ. I suspect Lowe is looking at reciprical access to the home games for the different supporters living on the wrong side of the ditch.

The bottom line is that most families are hurting. I would look at a subsidised membership package to get people involved and then looking at up-selling opportunities to claw back that subsidy.

Unlike some on here I feel the communication and the offerings from the club are very good. I just know that a wider form of adverting would bring more into the fold.

MB - a home game would be a good first step to start getting the word out.

About the only thing re memberhsip is a sign and the announcer reading the odd message out that no one listens to.

They should think outside the square - get a few greats like Cliffy/Beaver/Crusger/Rex etc on the field at half time or before the game talking about membership etc.

Maybe have a promotion that for all new members that sign up at the game they go into a draw to meet the players in the dressing room after full time.

They is a lot more they could do at Brookie before looking at NZ, SE Qld etc IMO.

In regards to membership, I think that more work should be done at looking at how the AFL does things and how they can attract so many people.  Could it be the advertising, type of packages or freebies that they offer or is it the price?  Oh I've just found out that they even have their own website aflmembership.com.au which has all the info about becoming a member of one of the clubs.

the AFL had 24/7 coverage of ben cousins coma watch in Melbourne, until we get that sort of in your face media up here we cant match them

Credit to you Ryan for several thought-provoking comments.

On Johns/Cliffy – one of the best things about our game is that it encapsulates such a wide spectrum of human characteristics. Both positive (courage, teamwork, etc etc) and negative. A positive is the inclination to give people a second (third etc) chance, on the basis that perfection is not a human quality, and it is the willingness to learn & take responsibility that is valued, rather than the (non-existent) complete absence of wrongdoing. Having said that, any perceived link with racism would be inexcusable & damaging, so if Johns were involved it would ideally be in conjunction with Cliffy himself! Or at least in collaboration with him, or someone else (Andrew Walker?) or otherwise in some way such that the racism issue was not just swept under the carpet for the sake of getting Johns’s footy nous.

Other points – I like WAMF’s idea of surveying members. I like jbb/james’s concerns about making profits out of third world nations (ouch).

The chief issue for me is always the tension between the perceived need to get fans involved and contributing, versus the continuing need for funding by the private owners and their expectation of commensurate control.

The objects and purpose of the Football Club include propagating the game of rugby league by acquiring and holding shares in Manly Sea Eagles. But the FC has bugger all money with which to acquire shares, and what money it does raise is raised in effect in competition with Sea Eagles.

Then there is the Leagues Club, long-time funder of the mighty Sea Eagles teams, which in recent times was talking about wanting some equity in return for future funding (which was an interesting concept, I always thought there must have been some legal reason why leagues clubs needed to be separate from the actual football clubs?).

Bottom line is that the ownership structure of Manly Sea Eagles is relatively new and evolving, and the agendas of the 2 private owners will determine how things move forward. Having said that, I think the Football Club ought to be seriously studying successful private/public ownership models in major sporting teams, with a view to developing a future model that all stakeholders might agree to work towards.

As well as practising catching bombs :)

I always enjoy reading your posts, SER8.

I think you nailed it with your 'bottom line' paragraph.
My bottom line is that I would be willing to purchase shares in the Sea Eagles, much like I purchase shares in other businesses. I would not expect any dividends for some time but would expect that the brand develops and the share price increases slightly as a result.

Would the current owners be willing to float the Sea Eagles?

The Football Club will never be in a position to buy back the necessary shares required to be a major shareholder of the Sea Eagles whilst they only charge $25 annually for membership. That is unless of course we find 100,000 new members?

There will come a time when both owners decide enough is enough I would suggest? The million dollar question is 'when'?

On similar lines to what Manlybacker was saying re: first game free entry for away members, would it be possible to do a reciprocal deal with all other clubs and make the one off game flexible, that way people like myself could tap into the Titans game and others clubs could use Manly on their one off flexi game, brings more fans through the gates to each club, more money spent using catering and greater membership flexibility and increase for everyone.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6