The Jurbo Journal - (just a really nice Jake thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who should be Manly's captain (from now) ?

• DCE

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Jake T

Votes: 55 70.5%

• Total voters
It's not all about decision making though, it's about leadership by a 'leader', revving up the players effectively and leading by example. In the 74th minute of last night's game, imo Jake or even Foz would've done better at willing the players to dig in and protect our lead at all costs.

Jake would make a great captain of The love Boat

because he is just too nice and a loving guy

1655527866157.png

Give it to him. He has the passion that makes our proud club, he know,s what our jersey stands for, its in his DNA, which unfortunately is being missed on some of our other players. Show them the 78 Grand final replay, show them what its like and what it means to spill blood for our jersey and great club, to play with heart. Remember, most of those players were busted but they still played and they still knew how to win

He is now no longer fast enough or able to execute his “eyes up footy” which I always get was overstated.

makes sense, Evans is slowing down, and looking fatigued just lately.
So amazing that many of our ST community have far superior football brains than that imbecile DCE, and not only that ... he is now slow!
Methinks maybe one or 2 folks are so hurt by the loss that they go into their standard response to being hurt - find someone to blame for their pain! (what do you reckon TC? lol)

So amazing that many of our ST community have far superior football brains than that imbecile DCE, and not only that ... he is now slow!
Methinks maybe one or 2 folks are so hurt by the loss that they go into their standard response to being hurt - find someone to blame for their pain! (what do you reckon TC? lol)

By the same token, being the resident contrarian and providing isolated examples to counter does
Not make you an expert either.

Devils advocates usually lack conviction, a far less admirable trait than someone who gets upset when they are espousing an opinion based on what they see and how they see it.

Tom is the next Captain, we need a player that refs and players are in awe of to influence both in performance, like Cam Smith or Andrew Johns.

Jake is just a passionate clubman but lacks the kind of leadership that will gell a team, he has leadership qualities but not the main leader.

Foran is the best leader we have at the moment by far.
You can't captain the team from the sidelines.. so Jake more consistant for me

By the same token, being the resident contrarian and providing isolated examples to counter does
Not make you an expert either.

Devils advocates usually lack conviction, a far less admirable trait than someone who gets upset when they are espousing an opinion based on what they see and how they see it.
You're right I'm no expert (and do play devils advocate at times), but hopefully not a 'resident contrarian', ie I don't automatically disagee just for the sport of it. But I'v noticed in recent years I'm increasingly sensitive to so-called alternative facts. In this case, though several people have suddenly started saying DCE has lost his pace or is slow but I haven't seen evidence of that.

Anyway I agree at times in the heat of the moment he takes poor options, but is he still best choice for Manly captain? Probably. If Foran had never left Manly, Foran would have been the captain, but that's getting into a whole alternative universe.

By the way i thought the inability of the team to handle the Cows desperate hurling of the ball side to side in the lead up to their 2nd last try was the critical failure. Were the middles too fatigued to keep tracking back and forth, or just losing concentration? Just as much to blame as DCE losing the ball.

You can't captain the team from the sidelines.. so Jake more consistant for me
You can't Captain the team being on the field if the playing group doesn't look up to their leader either.

To me when DCE or Jake lay down the law in the pathetic huddles the players are not really buying in, if anything many think they are better than the aforementioned two and roll their eyes with a "yeah yeah shut up" look.

I don't get that impression with Foran laying down the law, i don't get that impression with Tom(well occasionally in the past i did but not last year when Tom elevated his game), same with J.Lyon or Ben Kennedy, even Monas had more respect from the playing group.

Jake just comes across as a overly passionate ranter, and DCE looks like he is reading from a script and acting for the camera to look like a leader.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8