The Jurbo Journal - (just a really nice Jake thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who should be Manly's captain (from now) ?

• DCE

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Jake T

Votes: 55 70.5%

• Total voters
Then everyone should stop moaning about Marty, Keppie not being worth the money they’re on! Many on here carried on about Suli….he’s killing it at the dragons. I for one wish we kept him & let other players go.

The reality is Tommy and Jake are on 2m combined at Manly and that would be their actual market value if free agents. Someone would pay 1.3m for Tom, and while others may not agree, Jake could find a contract for 700k.

Marty is on 800k reportedly - not a chance he would get anywhere near that on the open market. Maybe someone signs him for 400k next year.

Just heard the commentary say Suli has the 3rd most runs in the comp and his averaging 139m a game this season.
That's what happens when a coach uses the guy properly. Des sticking with plodders Parker and Harper seriously has no fuking idea these days.

Two more wins in a row ,we are contenders .
A couple of losses & stars are duds and coaches cant coach.
This place is a loony bin full of bi weekly split personalities.
Mental Health GIF by By Sauts // Alex Sautter

I love you guys.

Last edited:
Not too sure how much time that Walker is on the field and when reasonably fit but would be at least for half the game . Consequently Jake is spending at least half a match at prop or a form of a prop role in many instances or when Walker plays . So 13 role for jake not applying in the general sense all game . Think that he plays the full 80 most games , pretty good effort taking all things into account and a few shortcomings but just indispensable in defence . Fair to say that he is on excessive money for his current team value but cap just has to wear it for obvious reasons and if it was closer to a realistic 700 k or so , don:t think that 200 k or so in extra outlay hypothetically for Jake is going to make the difference for a title winning Manly side .

Not too sure how much time that Walker is on the field and when reasonably fit but would be at least for half the game . Consequently Jake is spending at least half a match at prop or a form of a prop role in many instances or when Walker plays . So 13 role for jake not applying in the general sense all game . Think that he plays the full 80 most games , pretty good effort taking all things into account and a few shortcomings but just indispensable in defence . Fair to say that he is on excessive money for his current team value but cap just has to wear it for obvious reasons and if it was closer to a realistic 700 k or so , don:t think that 200 k or so in extra outlay hypothetically for Jake is going to make the difference for a title winning Manly side .
Your last two sentences are on point. We all know Jake ain't worth 900k..but not like he's worth 400k like some suggest. I've got no doubt Jake could easily get 700k elsewhere, and so he should for his play and CV. What's Frizell on? What's Matterson going to sign for etc? Its all around 700k isn't it?

Jake is definitely not the problem.

I think the team would benefit from
  1. having captaincy responsibilities moved away from the free running, unpredictable DCE who can be left to concentrate on those parts / strengths of his game he is admired for
  2. having Jake as Capatain - he is the more reliable & inspiring defensive player. He has proved himself, and sets the standard in defence.
  3. Defence is going to win us matches. We need 80 mins performances from the whole team . . .. and we are not getting them.
  4. Last night's debacle hints at too many 'hero' plays: No look passes, disjointed clumsy attack when discretion and solid play was needed.

1. having captaincy responsibilities moved away from the free running, unpredictable DCE who can be left to concentrate on those parts / strengths of his game he is admired for
  2. having Jake as Capatain - he is the more reliable & inspiring defensive player. He has proved himself, and sets the standard in defence.
  3. Defence is going to win us matches. We need 80 mins performances from the whole team . . .. and we are not getting them.
  4. Last night's debacle hints at too many 'hero' plays: No look passes, disjointed clumsy attack when discretion and solid play was needed.
5. Jake speaks from his heart with such passion, rather than just his head, and is more inspirational to the team.

Jake loves his club so much and captaining the side is the highest honour for him. If he were captain, I think it would be a great boost for Ben (& Tom to a lesser extent) moving forward.

DCE was already installed as captain when Des returned to the club. If this had not been the case, I wonder if Jake would have been given the responsibility?

Decisions 'not to take the 2' as has been highlighted in another thread, need a hard look at. DCE would have Veto on theses Yes we have lost matches by 2.
We need to put more value on possession. Take the rare opportunities offered by the referees.
In the dressing room at half time last night Des could be seen reading the riot act to all the outside backs. Not DCE. He should have been included.
The most passionate and emphatic Des has been seen since the 'door off the hinges'. I ask, has Des lost his passion for coaching NRL? Has DCE just become too blase and 'professional' ?
Making Jake the captain does not stop in any way DCE from kicking 4/20s or game winning field goals.

Sorry, no. Love Jake, but he seriously talks like a 15 year kid. Couldn't make decision about taking 2 points last week ...had to take direction from the bench

Shoes Manager just phoned the club, to remind them the Shoe was promised he would be calling the shots at 5/8 when he signed on. So naturally he must be the next captain too. 😜

In all seriousness DCEs time has passed. If he wears 7 he needs to play like one. You cant say the coaches are pulling him into line.

Jake's issue though is he's just as un-composed under pressure as DCE and whilst he works his guts out he far from a positive talker infield.

That's it in a nut shell. Lack of leadership one of our big issues.

Last edited:
He has no issues leading the QLD SOO team to series wins and victories and out playing Cleary

Shoes Manager just phoned the club, to remind them the Shoe was promised he would be calling the shots at 5/8 when he signed on. So naturally he must be the next captain too. 😜

In all seriousness DCEs time has passed. If he wears 7 he needs to play like one. You cant say the coaches are pulling him into line.

Jake's issue though is he's just as un-composed under pressure as DCE and whilst he works his guts out he far from a positive talker infield.

That's it in a nut shell. Lack of leadership one of our big issues.
Did anyone see that bit on Fox where they'd miked up Carrigan of the Broncos? His talk was tremendous. (maybe it would grate on teammates after a few years!)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8