The Guthersation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Should be going after Aiken not gutho. Need a genuine centre not a full back. Dont rate gutho at centre. Good full back though
That's another good point. He isn't even a good centre. The biggest strength he possesses is support play and being around the ball...something else entirely is required at centre.

He is a genuine 1...we have a better fullback already at the club; next!

That's another good point. He isn't even a good centre. The biggest strength he possesses is support play and being around the ball...something else entirely is required at centre.

He is a genuine 1...we have a better fullback already at the club; next!
But who is our backup whilst Turbo is injured/on rep duties ?

Teddy had the same rate of injuries in his early years.
Must be something to do with growth spurts till they turn 25 @:cool:

PSS ... just to hammer the point .... if club A says we will pay you $600k to play fullback .. and club B says we will pay you $900 to play centre .... where do you think he will go ....
The issue is no club will pay him that kind of coin to play centre, so it's a moot point.

He has a market value of anywhere between 600-800k as a fullback. The only club that could afford to pay him 800k to run around in the centres is the Roosters. Clubs don't want that much of the cap tied up on a centre because it's not a smart investment; it's over capitalising. Unless you are Latrell Mitchell, you just aren't worth that much when you consider how much of an impact a centre has on the result. Clubs want to spend top dollar on players who touch the ball more often and influence the outcome of matches.

Gus had to release Michael Jennings and Luke Lewis years ago because of this same issue. They were Penrith's two best players but they had to go because the money they were on, meant that Penrith couldn't compete for marquee halves, hookers and fullbacks...they had very little left over to entice quality in key positions.

If we signed Gutho on 900k to play centre, we'd still have to pay Chez his % of the cap, the Trbojevic brothers, try keep young Hoppa, Fainu, Schuster, keep AFB, re-sign Taupau, and fill the other 20 or so spots under the cap...it just can't work. You can't have that kind of coin tied up on a centre and still have the money to adequately fill the other positions with quality. On the other hand, you could chase a genuine centre in Aitken for around 400k and still have another 500k to spend elsewhere.

Last edited:
Maybe we can re-sign Lincoln Gutherson to a second tier contract then sign Clinton for 250, like easts have done with Latrell and his brother. And like Penrith have done with the clearys.

Keep the money in the family but not much on the salary cap.

I like Gutho but not on $600k i agree with a above comments we need a true center, Aitken or i like Lomax as a roughy but cheap option

My mate works down south ( Wollongong) today told me the word around the area is Aitken will be at Manly in 20. I asked him how do you know and he said it's the word around here .

After seeing his game on the weekend - I hope the drag queens keep him. Id prefer we had a pairing of Hoppa Jnr + Garrick.

After seeing his game on the weekend - I hope the drag queens keep him. Id prefer we had a pairing of Hoppa Jnr + Garrick.
Agreed - I mean he's a solid centre who's had one or two purple patches in his career (also injury prone), but wouldn't exactly call him a marquee player.
That said, at the right price, id welcome him..

Agreed - I mean he's a solid centre who's had one or two purple patches in his career (also injury prone), but wouldn't exactly call him a marquee player.
That said, at the right price, id welcome him..

The purple patches are probably more purple moments. If Des replaces Walker with Aitkin we replace a small speedy centre with skill with a smaller less speedy centre with less skill. Where is the logic?

People look at aitkens running game, and I will concede it is impressive, as are parts of his defence. That’s less than 1/2 the picture though. He murders overlaps, cannot pass, neglects inside and outside support and tries to do it all himself. He also rushes out of the defensive line and can’t read attaching raids at all, regularly taking no one.

Any discerning fan should be looking at the complete game of any potential recruit, not just the couple of highlights one musters up every season

Plenty are criticising Aitken but he is only 23, not too many are the finished product at that age.
He has plenty going for him, could certainly play a role for us if he ends up coming.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8