The Guthersation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How many times do we see stories suddenly appear in the media about other clubs "chasing" a player.....right when they happen to be in the middle of trying to negotiate a big dollar contract from their current club? Strategic releases from the player manager in an effort to get the money they are asking for.

We'd probably all love (or at least like) Gutho to come home to Manly. But I'll believe it when I see him run out again in the maroon and white.

one-day-i-will-ask-you-for-a-favour-and-you-will-not-refuse-me.jpg

01. Tom Trbojevic
06. Clinton Gutherson
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
09. Manase Fainu

Tom and Clinton could swap to suit, as well.
One of, if not THE best spine in the game. May need to release Api to afford.

Then secondary players: Garrick, Hopoate, Walker & other:

01.Tom Trbojevic
02. Albert Hopoate
03. NEW Acquisition
04. Dylan Walker
05. Reuben Garrick
06. Clinton Gutherson
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

For mine Gutho is not a good halves fit for DCE...........better replacing Walker (who I highly doubt will be here) in the centres

In your opinion he is
Turbo not only has speed but also the size that knocks players over like ten bowling pins

It is the opinion of the Australian test and origin selectors that make him the best no1 in the game not mine

Tedesco is the Australian and Origin full back

Turbo is a great player I agree , but according to the experts Tedesco is a better full back

So Gutho turns 25 this year and has at least 2 knee related, season ending injuries. I would prefer to look at our juniors and up and coming players than shell out $800k+ for Gutho.
I doubt we'd be offering him that much. He'd save money on petrol, tolls, beach parking etc by living on the Northern Beaches. Not to mention the anxiety.
A player like him will go where his heart is, even if he has to sacrifice some salary.
Mind you, even at $800,000 he'd offer better value than Walker does for a reported $600,000.

How about we see what Albert Hopoate has to offer in the next 2-3 months before throwing big coin at (another) injury prone player?

No idea at all if the reports are true, but if he only wants a fullback spot, then the entire argument is a moot point.

For mine....upgrade Hopoate and get a bloke like Aitken.

Then focus on a good 6.

Surely you get Hopoate and Aitken for the $800k Gutherson wants?

At some point .. Gutho may or may not have said that he wished to play fullback .... and now in true ST urban myth generating enthusiasm ... this comment has been repeated so often by those "in the know" that it has been elevated to the status of legend .....

What is really cute and sweet is that some people actually think Coaches and recruitment officers give a **** what position a player wants to play .... at every club there are players playing wing or centre that would rather play full back ... ot half instead of 5/8 ..... nobody gives a **** .... you play where the coach tells you to ....

The only possible difference where you want to play makes is in the amount you think you are justified in asking for .... but even that will be decided by supply and demand .....

If the money is right ... Gutho will play any where he is told to .. and he will be happy to do it .... because he is a team player ....
Unfortunately there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Gutho has come out on numerous occasions and stated that he’d like to find a permanent position at fullback. If you google, you’ll find the articles. Imagine you play the game and you have the option of playing in a key position where you pop up and get your hands on the ball in the middle of the field, or stand on an edge catching a cold until someone inside you decides to pass you the ball? It’s an easy choice for the players that are capable of playing 1.

The other issue is the money clubs are prepared to pay for players in certain positions. We could never afford to pay a centre the kind of money a fullback could demand, to play in the centres because of the salary cap.

There are plenty of clubs looking for a good fullback. Imagine the Titans coming along and offering Gutho close to a mil to play fullback and we toss up $400k to play in the centres...we aren’t in the ballpark or what he could demand. We aren’t gonna match the mil and throw him in the centres because our cap won’t allow it. You can’t pay your 1, 6, 7 and 9 what they are worth if you overspend on a centre. We’d be the laughing stock of the league if we lost our spine players because a mil was tied up on a centre. That’s what’ll happen if we pay Gutho his market value to play on the fringes.

The only feasible way (and it’s the longest of long shots) is if he’d be prepared to take 750k to play 6 outside Chez. I don’t think that’ll happen and I don’t even necessarily think it’s a great idea because I think he is a genuine fullback. Rest assured, whilst ever the only carrot we can dangle is a position in the centres on half of what he is worth, he will be looking elsewhere. It’s so plainly obvious I can’t believe we even have a thread about it.

Agree with what you're saying, Woodsie, but apparently Gutho and his manager are saying he wants to play fullback in current negotiations.

Of course they are ... fullbacks are paid more ..... fact is he will only be offered what clubs think he is worth .... and that may not be fullback money ...

Unfortunately there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Gutho has come out on numerous occasions and stated that he’d like to find a permanent position at fullback. If you google, you’ll find the articles. Imagine you play the game and you have the option of playing in a key position where you pop up and get your hands on the ball in the middle of the field, or stand on an edge catching a cold until someone inside you decides to pass you the ball? It’s an easy choice for the players that are capable of playing 1.

The other issue is the money clubs are prepared to pay for players in certain positions. We could never afford to pay a centre the kind of money a fullback could demand, to play in the centres because of the salary cap.

There are plenty of clubs looking for a good fullback. Imagine the Titans coming along and offering Gutho close to a mil to play fullback and we toss up $400k to play in the centres...we aren’t in the ballpark or what he could demand. We aren’t gonna match the mil and throw him in the centres because our cap won’t allow it. You can’t pay your 1, 6, 7 and 9 what they are worth if you overspend on a centre. We’d be the laughing stock of the league if we lost our spine players because a mil was tied up on a centre. That’s what’ll happen if we pay Gutho his market value to play on the fringes.

The only feasible way (and it’s the longest of long shots) is if he’d be prepared to take 750k to play 6 outside Chez. I don’t think that’ll happen and I don’t even necessarily think it’s a great idea because I think he is a genuine fullback. Rest assured, whilst ever the only carrot we can dangle is a position in the centres on half of what he is worth, he will be looking elsewhere. It’s so plainly obvious I can’t believe we even have a thread about it.

... Every thing you said is good ... but the plans of mice and men are notoriously fragile ....

The one and only reason Ray Branigan left Souff's to play for Manly was because he wanted to play fullback .... that plan didn't last past the off season .... he only ever got the #1 when wombat was injured ....

I did concede that the only difference his desire to play full back has .. is on his asking value , and of course if that coincides with a club in need of a fulback and prepared to pay his price ... happy days ..

But the first minute he turns up to his new club ... he will play where he is told ... and he knows it ... which is my point ... of course he will go to the club that makes the highest offer ....

PSS ... just to hammer the point .... if club A says we will pay you $600k to play fullback .. and club B says we will pay you $900 to play centre .... where do you think he will go ....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4