The Folau Saga ... or Castle's Catastrophy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fair dinkum this is a perfect example of Dumb (Folau) and Dumber (Castle and the ARU). What Folau said over the net was discriminatory and he needed to be taken to task specifically on those grounds. But the over reaction of the ARU was strategically stupid. Fine him, suspend him for a while, but to exile him was crazy. There are so many far more serious indiscretions we hear about, many involving serious violence, treated far less severely than what happened to Folau. Where is perspective. Where is balance.

Perspective/Balance......does that really happen in the modern world??

If ‘is he for real’ settled for a huge amount why would he be desperate to sign a contract with the nrl. Does he have some hidden agenda/ulterior motive

Or did he settle for a couple of million and now needs a job

If ‘is he for real’ settled for a huge amount why would he be desperate to sign a contract with the nrl. Does he have some hidden agenda/ulterior motive

Or did he settle for a couple of million and now needs a job
Maybe he’s desperate to sign a contract with a club because he is an athlete and wants to resume his career? Any club can pick him up, and if the nrl wish to stand in their way then there will be a case of restriction of trade and discrimination.

a case of restriction of trade and discrimination.
Not the case at all.

Restriction is related to your field of employment and not the realm of every conceivable job.

Folau left the NRL voluntarily to their main competitor and there is no law that they have to re employ him.

Same with the AFL.

Folau just follows the money and some RU Club will hire him :cool:

Or is he following a soapbox, how many Twitter/Instagram followers has he gained through his high profile sporting career.

Wouldn’t have as many followers as just some random bigoted preacher boy

Agree, no laws to say the NRL has to re-employ him .... but there are laws concerning what reasons the NRL can use to deny him employment .....

Last edited:
Thought ... in light of the article in today's telecrap claiming that there is a strong rift between Rugby Australia and many of thier religous polynesian players and supporters over the folau issue .... it was time to revisit ...

You would think that a sport that struggles to get 3 people to watch them on telly would have been a bit quicker to realise that their sport demographic has changed significantly from the patched elbow, blazer wearing, private school Rupert .. to a Polynesian heavy base ..... and in light of that ... a bit slower to piss them all off ....

I am certain Qantas as the wallabies main sponsor is a major reason why Rae Rae went all postal ... but boy, how can you be so wrong at judging your own supporter and playing base ..... if as reported today .. Folau was paid out over $3mill plus $1.5 mil in legal costs .... they were soundly bent over without the benefit of a kiss or cuddle .....

Their game isn't that interesting any more and our Super Rugby sides aren't that super any more plus the Wallabies haven't won the Bledisloe Cup since 2002.

Added to that the relentless pick and drive and sometimes non-stop kicking is just boring.

All that hits attendance and viewer numbers which then kills sponsorship.

Thought ... in light of the article in today's telecrap claiming that there is a strong rift between Rugby Australia and many of thier religous polynesian players and supporters over the folau issue .... it was time to revisit ...

You would think that a sport that struggles to get 3 people to watch them on telly would have been a bit quicker to realise that their sport demographic has changed significantly from the patched elbow, blazer wearing, private school Rupert .. to a Polynesian heavy base ..... and in light of that ... a bit slower to piss them all off ....

I am certain Qantas as the wallabies main sponsor is a major reason why Rae Rae went all postal ... but boy, how can you be so wrong at judging your own supporter and playing base ..... if as reported today .. Folau was paid out over $3mill plus $1.5 mil in legal costs .... they were soundly bent over without the benefit of a kiss or cuddle .....

I couldn't begin to imagine kissing or cuddling Rae Rae!

In my opinion Rugby’s ****ed.

Maybe temporarily BUT, no one attends the Super Rugby games here ( well some do but tiny numbers and declining) , the Wallabies couldn’t catch a cold let alone win anything , Foxtel is ditching them and they still have Rae Rae in charge who is beyond ****ing useless so yep, they are currently screwed.

In my opinion Rugby’s ****ed.

Maybe temporarily BUT, no one attends the Super Rugby games here ( well some do but tiny numbers and declining) , the Wallabies couldn’t catch a cold let alone win anything , Foxtel is ditching them and they still have Rae Rae in charge who is beyond ****ing useless so yep, they are currently screwed.

Even 20 years ago Rugby was giving free tickets to all school kids that played and anybody else to all games ... it was a standard joke that if you ever paid to go to a game you were mad ...

Even 20 years ago Rugby was giving free tickets to all school kids that played and anybody else to all games ... it was a standard joke that if you ever paid to go to a game you were mad ...

I’ve been involved with Rugby in a professional sense having run RWC tours to South Africa in 95, Wales 96 and France in 07.

I remain friends with huge numbers of those tourists that came with me ,at the time most were diehards.

Most have walked away from the game in recent years, but a few are still rusted on.

It’s not dead , it’s not terminal but it’s on life support at present.

I’ve been involved with Rugby in a professional sense having run RWC tours to South Africa in 95, Wales 96 and France in 07.

I remain friends with huge numbers of those tourists that came with me ,at the time most were diehards.

Most have walked away from the game in recent years, but a few are still rusted on.

It’s not dead , it’s not terminal but it’s on life support at present.
Yeah I believe in this country taking away even even rugby the tribalism and having side from Japan and Argentina has made it unappealing. People recognize tahs, reds and brumbies imo a less is more approach and traditional rivals across the ditch.

No lube either...just BAMM!

Paul Smiths description of the old labor left did remind me of a few long term posters on here. Could be why the numbers are falling. Penny for your thoughts @Moops ?

If you were going to find something that equates to the old Labor left of NSW, rugby league is where they live,” he said. “They are the greatest haters and they never forget. That’s the trouble with some sports. They carry these things in their backpacks forever and they never let it go.”

Too much focus on sponsors and losing touch with your grass roots is unhealthy long term. Just like a sugar hit. Some poor decision making up top is not helping a game that is being officiated into boredom.

I believe news limited are just punching out articles to put their brother Foxtel a better bargaining position before the rights go to tender.
Rugby will survive.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4