The crackdown & milking penalties

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Ok, first of all I get the crackdown , ultimately once we have almost the entire forward pack from each team suspended they’ll start to change things.

And I understand the reason behind it , cracking down on head injuries.

HOWEVER

There’s been a dark side to this and that is the milking of penalties.

In just two weeks we’ve become like soccer, playing getting a live tap and then diving like they’ve been hit with a sledge hammer. Players feeling a player above them and then pushing up from the ground and then grabbing their necks.

And you now see players remonstrating with the referee’s almost constantly , hands in the air , appealing loudly for penalties / send offs.

Absolutely no doubt now games can be won with multiple send offs and it’s a massive advantage to the team with 13.

And of course the very subjective nature of these send offs , some get sent , some don’t , some should ( and don’t) and now we go back during a game and pull up something that happened two sets ago.

It’s a bloody **** fight.

I wonder if the NRL realise they’ve opened Pandora’s Box ???

The issue I have, as always, is the consistency.

Frizell has been charged, but no penalty or sin bin on game day.
Marty charged with a similar offence, gets penalised, and binned on game day.

Croker penalised for a crusher, that was milked beautifully, but no charge, despite crushers being the flavour of the month at the match review.

The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing, and it is a dead set lottery every week.

The other thing they need to clamp down on is trainers holding up play for an "injured" player when the rule is they have to leave the field.

Happened to us yesterday and the ref did nothing.

The NRL are to be applauded for something about head high tackles etc.

This is now being exploited by cynical coaches and players who are instructed to lay down, clutch their necks and be rewarded by a gullible referee.

We now have players actively trying their best to get opposition players sent to the bin, waving 10 fingers at the referee. It is a blight on the game and cynical gamesmanship like this should not be rewarded.

The NRL have created more problems by trying to solve this issue and they need to urgently find a balance as games are now punctuated by the bunker making retrospective decisions and the inconsistency is leading to frustration across the game.

We saw it yesterday how Marty is hit high, we get NO penalty and Frizzell is only put on report, yet Marty is binned, we lose a guy, they get a penalty, drove me nuts those decisions!

But will anything change ??
No it won't change at all. You bet though @Mark from Brisbane if what happen to us from Cummins to any of the favoured teams say parra, rabbits, storm or Panthers evey talk show would be blowing up about it , the NRL would issue an apology and Cummins would be asked to step down for this week.

Because it happen to us nothing to see here and blow it under the carpet.

You watch parra playing knights next week and see how well knights go with a 50/50 split of calls. They won't even get close to parra.

As much as I hate it, we almost need to get with the program, and milk just as hard as Newcastle did yesterday. I don't want to, but it cost us 3 penalties, and at least 1 sin bin yesterday.....but it's not the Manly way.

Jake, Tom and Marty all copped high shots, and didn't bat an eyelid.

We certainly need to get smarter with the holding up of play for an "injured" player on tackle 2 when the opposition are rucking the ball out of their own end.

Newcastle did it 3 times yesterday, all killed all momentum, again.

As much as I hate it, we almost need to get with the program, and milk just as hard as Newcastle did yesterday. I don't want to, but it cost us 3 penalties, and at least 1 sin bin yesterday.....but it's not the Manly way.

We certainly need to get smarter with the holding up of play for an "injured" player on tackle 2 when the opposition are rucking the ball out of their own end.

And you know the other thing playing at home we must be very vocal as supporters with the new rules I bet you anything a few of the send off's across the round are home team driven can't prove it but I bet it has happened.

I thought the bunker 'reviews' were supposed to catch the high shots even if the player hit didn't bat an eyelid. Marty got pinged and he was thrown on his butt and it was still reviewed.

question is then.... why didn't the bunker rule it for jake tom and marty?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (new version of question mark)

If the State of Origin is reffed like our game on sunday , thats it for me , no point in watching the game as its a lottery and ref call who wins.
And you bet if it's Townsville game 1 who will benefit from it QLD. Can you imagine that and then game 2 at Suncorp even the slightest love tap the Queeslanders will be baying for blood.

I usually never agree with gus gould but this crack down while I can see why it has been done is way over the top.

I think most people would applaud the NRL taking action to preserve player welfare but the execution has not been good.

The game appears to be more violent than ever (even though it’s not) because we are constantly watching blokes dive like they’ve been shot over innocuous contact and it being replayed over and over again.

As others have said, those Manly players (and I think I saw one on Parker in addition to those already mentioned) who didn’t take a dive were comprehensively punished, and in the end lost the game, because they didn’t take a dive.

Unless they change the rules, we need to start diving like the rest of ‘em. People will remember who won the GF - not the tough bloke who got up after a high shot and didn’t get a penalty/sin bin for his team when he could have.

@Mark from Brisbane .. I think we need to differentiate between the goals and guidelines of the NRL .. and how the numbnut refs and bunker boofheads are interpreting and implementing them ... it's not the NRL that are inconsistent or just plain stupid ...

On the issue of milking penalties ... once again coaches would be at the forefront of dickheadedness ... if the coach said don't do it .. they wouldn't, but you can bet a brick to London most coaches are complicit in the acting classes ...

@Mark from Brisbane .. I think we need to differentiate between the goals and guidelines of the NRL .. and how the numbnut refs and bunker boofheads are interpreting and implementing them ... it's not the NRL that are inconsistent or just plain stupid ...

On the issue of milking penalties ... once again coaches would be at the forefront of dickheadedness ... if the coach said don't do it .. they wouldn't, but you can bet a brick to London most coaches are complicit in the acting classes ...
Of course , the players would be under instructions

The NRL are to be applauded for something about head high tackles etc.

This is now being exploited by cynical coaches and players who are instructed to lay down, clutch their necks and be rewarded by a gullible referee.

We now have players actively trying their best to get opposition players sent to the bin, waving 10 fingers at the referee. It is a blight on the game and cynical gamesmanship like this should not be rewarded.

The NRL have created more problems by trying to solve this issue and they need to urgently find a balance as games are now punctuated by the bunker making retrospective decisions and the inconsistency is leading to frustration across the game.

We saw it yesterday how Marty is hit high, we get NO penalty and Frizzell is only put on report, yet Marty is binned, we lose a guy, they get a penalty, drove me nuts those decisions!

I agree that the coaches have told players that if they receive ANY hit or pressure to the head/neck area, they should lay down as do the times when European soccer players receive a life threatening ankle injury.

As a flow on, the time supposed to be saved be the ref's "6-again" calls has been negated by repetitve forensics taken on alleged attacks to the head.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4