The crackdown & milking penalties

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I thought the refereeing tonight was laughable. There were dozens of six-agains, mostly for The 'Riff, and another 10 or so soft penalties for minor contact with the head, even when the tackled player fell into the defender.
The Tugers were by far the better side, but the ref kept The 'Riff in the match with his flurry of penalties. Every time someone is tackled I'm expecting the ref to blow a penalty. It is cringeworthy viewing.
If Origin is refereed the same way as tonight we'll think they have re-introduced the nine-aside comp.

there needs to be some sort of reward for a low tackle.... at the moment there is none as:

a. the attacker more-than-likely offloads, and
b. the tackler has to release straight away and another player cannot come in to control the tackled player (flop), and
c. the defender cannot possibly get back to marker quicker than the attacker can play the ball

maybe one-on-one tackles below the waist can be rewarded by forcing the tackled player to wait until the defender has risen to his feet and both markers are in place?? this would allow teams to slow the attack by completing an effective one-on-one legs tackle and therefore make it an attractive play to attempt (at least in certain situations)
How much time do you give the defender to get to marker?

Yep, Daine Laurie lying face down motionless until the ref blew a penalty then jumping to his feet with a sh*t-eating grin on his face.
Yeah, that was disgusting, the contact was no harder than being slapped by a three year old, but any contact above the shoulder, means a pathetic touch of the "damaged" area, a meaningful stare at the cameras, then a triumphant smile for the penalty. We need mandatory HIA assessments after penalty contact.

Yeah, that was disgusting, the contact was no harder than being slapped by a three year old, but any contact above the shoulder, means a pathetic touch of the "damaged" area, a meaningful stare at the cameras, then a triumphant smile for the penalty. We need mandatory HIA assessments after penalty contact.
I think that's the only way, but...
will get exploited as free interchange

Daine Laurie managed to oust the previous Oscar winning champion Lach Fitzgibbon as diver of the week.

And as PVL says....this is what the fans want !

Well done Daine.
You win Rugba Leeg 2021.

The media doesn't seem to be concerned about 'Crusher' tackles and the milking of penalties.
To me this is the most aberrant part of the sport.
When you hit someone in the head it is pretty obvious. But when a player backs into another then holds his neck it's the opposite. How can the ref/officials tell if there was any force applied, if it did any damage, if it was deliberate or not, if the player is milking?
They can't, yet it is always a penalty, and sometimes a sin-bin.
We are told by 'experts' that high tackles cause brain injury. So where are the studies showing the long-term effects of the so-called 'Crushers'?

Would that be a job for all the retired melb scum players, to sit on a panel assessing crusher tackles, as they are the experts

The media doesn't seem to be concerned about 'Crusher' tackles and the milking of penalties.
To me this is the most aberrant part of the sport.
When you hit someone in the head it is pretty obvious. But when a player backs into another then holds his neck it's the opposite. How can the ref/officials tell if there was any force applied, if it did any damage, if it was deliberate or not, if the player is milking?
They can't, yet it is always a penalty, and sometimes a sin-bin.
We are told by 'experts' that high tackles cause brain injury. So where are the studies showing the long-term effects of the so-called 'Crushers'?
Crushers are slightly different in that they are nearly always performed on someone whose forward momentum has already been stopped. In fact they are usually sitting or lying on the ground!!
So really the only purpose in coming over the top is to slow down the play the ball, and tacklers should usually be able to avoid that neck contact in a situation like that?
By the way I don't really think you need studies to show that crushing someone's neck might be a little dangerous.

The only way to end this is for all or the majority of the NRL clubs & players to sever their ties to the NRL and the ARLC, then to start their own separate club comp and Origin. Same as the NFL and NBA in America. A pro league can't be held back by the amateurs and juniors. The new NRL can donate a % of its income to the ARLC to help development. The NRL should be the MMA of the footy codes. Instead the NRL clubs and players and fans are getting neutered by hand wringing mob.

The idea of the crack down is required but if the administrator and refs thing some of those penalties are justified they will have a revolt on their hands. The touching (yes light torching) of the side of head or face being penalised is a disgrace. RL is a hard, tough game, sh*t happens. We all can see the difference between intent and accident eg a tackler goes for the ball but attacking player falls or swerves etc, arm hits ball and ends up around neck/head.

They could do a comedy skit on some of the penalties .. except not so funny.

Crushers are slightly different in that they are nearly always performed on someone whose forward momentum has already been stopped. In fact they are usually sitting or lying on the ground!!
So really the only purpose in coming over the top is to slow down the play the ball, and tacklers should usually be able to avoid that neck contact in a situation like that?
By the way I don't really think you need studies to show that crushing someone's neck might be a little dangerous.

Some teams players when caught by the defence seem to me to be attempting to actually turn their body around to face their own goal line and then drop to the ground, so that the crusher situation arises.

You gotta love that penalty try last night , the Tigers player “ ooh my head , my head, ref he attacked my head “ ( ref blows penalty ) Tigers player “ ooh I feel so good now , no issues and yeeehhhaaaa I got a penalty try”.

Not long until we are just like Soccer.

The Head high and crusher tackle crack down has given birth to the cynical, feigning and acting to con referees into giving penalties. You also see players actively trying to get opposition players sin binned now.

If I see a player raising ten fingers to a referee I would love to see that ref have the balls the bin that person as its a blight on the game!

The NRL urgently needs to find some balance and consistency as the fast game that they crave is now littered with stoppages for minor offences and the bunker is making big decisions that are not always consistent.

Work to do My Vlandys!!

The Head high and crusher tackle crack down has given birth to the cynical, feigning and acting to con referees into giving penalties. You also see players actively trying to get opposition players sin binned now.

If I see a player raising ten fingers to a referee I would love to see that ref have the balls the bin that person as its a blight on the game!

The NRL urgently needs to find some balance and consistency as the fast game that they crave is now littered with stoppages for minor offences and the bunker is making big decisions that are not always consistent.

Work to do My Vlandys!!
Yes I feel it’s out of the frying pan into the fire with this one!!

The idea of the crack down is required but if the administrator and refs thing some of those penalties are justified they will have a revolt on their hands. The touching (yes light torching) of the side of head or face being penalised is a disgrace. RL is a hard, tough game, sh*t happens. We all can see the difference between intent and accident eg a tackler goes for the ball but attacking player falls or swerves etc, arm hits ball and ends up around neck/head.

They could do a comedy skit on some of the penalties .. except not so funny.
I was at my grandsons footy this morning and it was a replay of recent happenings in the nrl, penalty after penalty all game for innocuous touches above the shoulders, one for a defenders fingers brushing the face of the player tackled as he rose to mark him, this was under 13's, there wasn't one serious above the shoulders tackle but the game was blown up from start to finish with the ref dressing down players for above the shoulders contact, it's getting ****ing stupid, V'landys won't have to worry about the effects on junior football because there won't be any at this rate

You gotta love that penalty try last night , the Tigers player “ ooh my head , my head, ref he attacked my head “ ( ref blows penalty ) Tigers player “ ooh I feel so good now , no issues and yeeehhhaaaa I got a penalty try”.

Not long until we are just like Soccer.
I reckon we're there already mate, coaches and players are milking this bs for all it's worth

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4