The Book of Albert

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The term 'struggle' related to the fact he couldn't finish the game because of cramps. He ran out of steam, just as Hopa had done the week before. Both struggled through lack of game fitness. Schuster played well in the first half, that wasnt the issue. Hopa is even more limited because he hasnt played a season of football for almost 3 years and is coming off two ACL injuries, major knee issues. He was also not match fit. Doesnt mean they weren't fit. Match fitness is a different fitness.

I believe if Des had used both, at least on the bench (of course not at the same time, but Schuster was ready early in the season and Hoppa in early July), they would have improved their fitness and showed a little of their undoubted talent. Probably also could have helped Manly get out of the mess they got themselves in. With no Reggies, these kids needed game time and should have been used, at least from the bench, earlier.
First Des gets hammered Here for not playing them, now he should have eased them in earlier in the season? Poor old Dessie can’t win on these boards. There was certainly nothing wrong with Schusters debut (cramps aside). Perhaps we could have seen him earlier based on what I saw Sat night. I must admit I’m struggling to see the hype around young Hoppa tho. If he was as good as people here lorded him we would have seen a glimpse in the first two games. I’ve seen nothing. I agree with Kiwis post here in that he has not shown he’s a better option than the others chosen. I’m also not sure why we would ease him in off the bench when up until the last week we have been playing each game to keep our season alive. Sorry imo there is no room for an 18yr old outside back in the starting 17 in that scenario. I guess we will see how he goes over the next couple of games but at this stage sone here might just need to suck it up and perhaps admit they were wrong and the coach wasn’t on this one.

First Des gets hammered Here for not playing them, now he should have eased them in earlier in the season? Poor old Dessie can’t win on these boards. There was certainly nothing wrong with Schusters debut (cramps aside). Perhaps we could have seen him earlier based on what I saw Sat night. I must admit I’m struggling to see the hype around young Hoppa tho. If he was as good as people here lorded him we would have seen a glimpse in the first two games. I’ve seen nothing. I agree with Kiwis post here in that he has not shown he’s a better option than the others chosen. I’m also not sure why we would ease him in off the bench when up until the last week we have been playing each game to keep our season alive. Sorry imo there is no room for an 18yr old outside back in the starting 17 in that scenario. I guess we will see how he goes over the next couple of games but at this stage sone here might just need to suck it up and perhaps admit they were wrong and the coach wasn’t on this one.
Pretty much agree ,but in Hopoates defence -He hasn't played in a long time and never against men.
Lets see how he looks after a full pre season with the team and 5 games into next year under belt.
He is massively playing catch up at the moment.

Waz it was always about getting them on earlier in the seasn when Manly were being constantly smashed. They needed a fresh approach and it wasnt happening. Even when players were introduced becuase of injury, and play well, they were bing dropped for the incumbent. Change should have been happening as way back as Round 9 or 10 when it was obvious the existing team without Turbo and Walker was faltering badly. Look at Penrith Newcastle etc. Going great guns introduing fresh young hopefuls no older or more experienced tha the kids we have and going great guns. Should we be lowering our expectations and standards regarding selections when Manly are doing it so poorly? If they were winning consistently it would be a different issue. But Manly have had 3 wins since those two stars were injured way back in Round 6. Its now just gone Round 17

Waz it was always about getting them on earlier in the seasn when Manly were being constantly smashed. They needed a fresh approach and it wasnt happening. Even when players were introduced becuase of injury, and play well, they were bing dropped for the incumbent. Change should have been happening as way back as Round 9 or 10 when it was obvious the existing team without Turbo and Walker was faltering badly. Look at Penrith Newcastle etc. Going great guns introduing fresh young hopefuls no older or more experienced tha the kids we have and going great guns. Should we be lowering our expectations and standards regarding selections when Manly are doing it so poorly? If they were winning consistently it would be a different issue. But Manly have had 3 wins since those two stars were injured way back in Round 6. Its now just gone Round 17
Absolutely spot on.

Everyone on Silvertails:
He is young and under done, but he can get some experience and build for the future. We won't rip into him for a couple if bad games.

Also everyone on Silvertails:
He has had 2 so so games after 2 ACLs and I therefore declare him sh*t

Last edited:
I see the point Bear and after seeing Schu immediately wondered why he hadn’t come in sooner. Hoppa I’m not so sure of tbh. We do need to remember too that although we didn’t win some games we could be at least 3 wins (knights x 2 and NZ) better in close games with the guys who were in. Couple of big losses too tho granted. I guess my point is more around Des and his selections and scrutiny on here. Des felt the players picked gave him the best chance of winning and to play finals. I don’t always agree either. However nothing I’ve seen from Hoppa yet indicates it was a mistake not to play him earlier. At least he gets his chance now and I hope he does well.

The difference with Schuster is he played in the trial against Cronulla and showed his class and ability to compete against another first grade team. Yet Des persisted with Croker who is average at best, and even Cust has been too up and down.
Hopoate is coming off 2 years of injury which has obviously impacted his speed and confidence. Am happy to see how he goes with a proper pre season and match fitness before saying he can’t handle first grade. If he wants to leave for more money then so be it, as we need to find wingers with height and speed.

Everyone on Silvertails:
He is young and uber done, but he can get some experience and build for the future. We won't rip into him for a couple if bad games.

Also everyone on Silvertails:
He has had 2 so so games after 2 ACLs and I therefore declare him sh*t
Hehe 100%

"Cmon Des play the Hope what's wrong with you don't hold him back he's rreeeeaaaaddddyyyyy"

... Des plays the Hope ...

"Terrible player you're throwing him under done he needs more time in reggies!!!"

Lolol

Des is proven , hoppa is potential.
Paying for potential is a gamble
Hoppa hasnt looked awful, but hasnt looked a world beater

He will become a first grader and when he does he should be paid appropriately. A big ego doesnt warrant a big paycheck

Sad if he goes because he is local, but the money it sounds like he wants would almost get will hoppa and that would be a far better Without the gamble.

Actually feeling less sad if he goes

Yeah for a future superstar fit or not..you would think you would see 1 diamond at least in 2 games
Albert's NRL debut is probably unprecedented - no senior football at all, two ACLs & only a few minutes game time in two years! For perspective, Micheal Morgan's return to the Cowboys recently after many weeks out with injury was completely lackluster and included a lot of errors. IMO, if Hoppa shows just a hint of his junior form in the next three games, then his (premature?) debut will have been worthwhile.

Could have been an immortal, the best player ever last time everyone saw him as a junior. Sadly I think 2 seasons out and the nature of those injuries might have taken their toll - it’s hard for anyone to recover after that. Hope he proves me wrong but he looks a long way off right now.

Didn’t Clinton Gutherson suffer 2 ACL’s as well although not quite as soon after each other. He seems to be fully recovered and is playing as well as before. Hoppa is still very young and maybe playing the early part of next season with the Blacktown team will help him gain more confidence.

This thread has gone a bit cold after everyone has seen Hoppa play.

Is Hoppa going to the Warriors with AFB on big money now?

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8