The Book of Albert

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We are getting smashed every week because guys out constantly out of position. The tries that we conceded down our right side defence are testimony to that.
It's happening on both sides. Defensive structures rely on trust and communication. We have lost both and its cost us our season. It's not that the players are completely inept, it's a systemic issue that has snowballed since the Sharks loss.

Bring back FB Bob Batty, Wings John Bliss, Nick Yakich, Centres Alec Tennant and Frank Stanton...ahh that was a three quarter line if it had happened

John McDonald was one hell of a centre between 1969-71. I remember him as a rangy, fast strong centre who went on to play for Australia. I remember him making long penetrating runs, a real sight to behold. Returned to QLD and we got Brannigan, also a talented centre. Manly have had some good ones in their backline over the years. What a quality lot of centres

Stanton
Tennant
McDonald
Fulton
Brannigan
Hill
Innes
Gartner
Close
Cleal
Shearer
Ron Gibbs
O'Connor
Iro
Lyon
Matai

Just to name a few. Wow

Is this young bloke on the wing the same fella that all the commotion was about ?

If the line was true “I’ll show you on the field what I’ve got” then he shouldn’t be expecting a huge contract to be coming his way

No opportunities have gone to the young bloke to showcase what he has got with the ball, but he also hasn’t shown any enthusiasm to go looking for work either, Garrick was getting smoked but to his credit at least he was lining up to take them

Des copped an absolute flogging over this ‘must pick’ player for many weeks, looking at the first 2 games he was probably correct, he looks well short of a gallop and potentially lacking confidence to get heavily involved after a couple of serious injuries. The lack of a reserve grade competition has really hampered a lot of blokes this season

Yeh he didn't do much tonight or last week, agree 100%. While we're were frustrated Des persisted with players not quite NRL standard they were better than this bloke at this stage of his development. Hopefully he is better for the run and continues to develop?

Is this young bloke on the wing the same fella that all the commotion was about ?

If the line was true “I’ll show you on the field what I’ve got” then he shouldn’t be expecting a huge contract to be coming his way

No opportunities have gone to the young bloke to showcase what he has got with the ball, but he also hasn’t shown any enthusiasm to go looking for work either, Garrick was getting smoked but to his credit at least he was lining up to take them

Des copped an absolute flogging over this ‘must pick’ player for many weeks, looking at the first 2 games he was probably correct, he looks well short of a gallop and potentially lacking confidence to get heavily involved after a couple of serious injuries. The lack of a reserve grade competition has really hampered a lot of blokes this season

The expectations are just far too high. These are kids playing their first games at the top level. I think there is this expectation they will be super stars from the start. Very rarely happens that way. They need time to adjust, to cope with the speed and toughness at this level. Both Hopoate and Schuster have struggled in their first game because of these factors. They are feeling their way. And they are playing in a team that is presently dysfunctional. Different when one has a team about you, well oiled and functioning effectively.

Lets not forget these are Hopoate's first game in almost 2 years, and longer than that in playing a season of football. That's a lot of catching up to do. Schuster hasn't played in a year. Little wonder he struggled. And then this is another level up and no Reggies to adjust and get match fit.

This is why Des should have eased them both in earlier, probably on the bench at first. We know both are exceptionally talented. They will star, but not today. This period is adjustment, getting used to the rigors. We have to be realistic. This is where we've had missed opportunities in the past. Gutherson, Tom Wright, Hastings etc. Stars in the making require time on the field. Not one game, a season at least.

Too often we are looking at one game at a time. That's why many thought Croker was so good. It was based on one or two good games. Cust is better but he's also young. One game he's great, the next average or poor. Suddenly he's no good. Young players are always going to have poor games. I dont think Croker will make it beyond being solid, but that's based on watching his range of skills not his overall performance. Cust has more creative skills. He'll probably be a solid first grader. But not yet.

Last edited:
I agree with you Bearfax about the young kids. I think to be able to play 1st grade at their age, they must be showing above average ability in the junior grades and to think we have so many kids from that age group preparing for first grade augers well for the future. I was once told it takes at least 50 games to get used to playing in first grade so they still have a long way to go to reach that milestone. I know we were beaten at the death yesterday but there is so much to look forward to in the next few years with this group of young players. We could be at the start of our next golden run just like the mid 2000. I’m sure Des will sort out the ones that will be successful and if possible keep them and weed out the ones that don’t belong there.

Schuster didnt struggle on debut, he was very good !

Not a bagging of Hopoate at all, but go back over 69 pages here and you’ll see Des getting carved up left right and centre for not playing kids. In the case of Hoppa he has been vindicated, a lot of the chat was “he couldn’t do any worse than Elliott or Garrick” , you can probably mount a case now that he has

Want to see him keep going though and just get himself more involved, it will only take 1 break and he might be away at this level

Schuster didnt struggle on debut, he was very good !

Not a bagging of Hopoate at all, but go back over 69 pages here and you’ll see Des getting carved up left right and centre for not playing kids. In the case of Hoppa he has been vindicated, a lot of the chat was “he couldn’t do any worse than Elliott or Garrick” , you can probably mount a case now that he has

Want to see him keep going though and just get himself more involved, it will only take 1 break and he might be away at this level

The term 'struggle' related to the fact he couldn't finish the game because of cramps. He ran out of steam, just as Hopa had done the week before. Both struggled through lack of game fitness. Schuster played well in the first half, that wasnt the issue. Hopa is even more limited because he hasnt played a season of football for almost 3 years and is coming off two ACL injuries, major knee issues. He was also not match fit. Doesnt mean they weren't fit. Match fitness is a different fitness.

I believe if Des had used both, at least on the bench (of course not at the same time, but Schuster was ready early in the season and Hoppa in early July), they would have improved their fitness and showed a little of their undoubted talent. Probably also could have helped Manly get out of the mess they got themselves in. With no Reggies, these kids needed game time and should have been used, at least from the bench, earlier.

Last edited:
I also don't think its a co-incidence that, having such a new back line meant it was only the second time Manly have scored more than 4 tries in a game, on this occasion 6 tries only bettered by the Round 3 clash against the lowly Bulldogs when both Turbo and Walker were playing. Its also one of the very few games since those two have been absent, that the backs scored the majority of the tries. Defence was poor, but the attack was starting to click....finally

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7