The Book of Albert

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just like allocating too much of the cap to a single player can cause issues, allocating too much of your cap to 'potential' can also work out badly. Schuster is, quite rightly, getting 'potential' dollars and there might be one or two others in the same boat. However, you have to draw the line somewhere if you are looking for success today as well as in 2-4 years time.
Hoppa is as good as Shuster and no one else is near them in potential. Draw the line yes but those two are special.

I have had another look at the NRL website and as far as I can tell, for next year:

Players 1-26 have a minimum wage of $115k
Players 27-30 have a minimum wage of $77.5k

Plus there are 6 Development players, outside the top 30, who can get $60k, but can only play NRL when there are injuries, or if they are promoted to Top 30.

Not sure who in our squad would be on $77.5k but it would be interesting to know who that buys you (if $250k is too low for a rookie).

Source:

Hoppa is as good as Shuster and no one else is near them in potential. Draw the line yes but those two are special.
Don't get me wrong, I am with the majority here that would love to see them both pull on a Manly jersey sooner rather than later (although I have never seen Hoppa play but will defer to others who have).

I am just a pragmatist (perhaps realist) when it comes to our salary cap management. Given we have so much of our cap invested in our top 6 or 8 players, unless we move on probably two of these, the less we have to spend on the potential coming through, which is not just limited to Schuster and Hoppa, but also Sione Fainu and the young outside back who's name escapes me at the minute. We will need "potential" dollars to keep these blokes as well.

Good luck to anyone managing a salary cap....

Plus there are 6 Development players, outside the top 30, who can get $60k, but can only play NRL when there are injuries, or if they are promoted to Top 30.
Who can play FG without the injury restriction after july 1.

The july 1 date was waived for this covid year and Devel players were all allowed to play FG.

Without a real spine we are no hope of winning a comp .... obviously we need two fullbacks (because Tom is a part timer), a more mature or organizing 5/8 so DCE can just play his natural game (because he is no organizer), a more crafty a better distributing No 9 (Fainu may never play again), (be nice to still have Api all you Api knockers). imho

I agree but realistically we need to attract them with the money levi, elliott and maybe walker is on.

He's built like a kid still mate. I don't think he is that fast either for FG and he certainly won't be big enough to push the opposition around like he did in the juniors.

He doesnt look small, looked pretty fast in shots I've seen and he's actually taller I think than Turbo. As he plays second row and centre, I'd say he's well on the way to being a big unit. Sure he may need to fill out, but I think he'll be ready for first grade some time next year.

He doesnt look small, looked pretty fast in shots I've seen and he's actually taller I think than Turbo. As he plays second row and centre, I'd say he's well on the way to being a big unit. Sure he may need to fill out, but I think he'll be ready for first grade some time next year.

He could certainly headbutt Shaun Lane

NZ may not have named young Hoppa, but could still be added by exemption with a few injuries to outside backs....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8