The big Debate - Centres ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Parker and Koula for now. but what happens when Saab is back. Do you move Garrick to centres and replace Parker (what was promised) or get rid of tippy toes and keep the current centre pairing?

Long term. Where does Weekes fit in? he may be offered big money to play fullback or 5/8 somewhere else. Can we afford to match it? if we do.. where does he play. At full strength. Fullback and 5/8 are covered. We are not going to pay big money for a winger. Centre would be the only option. Can he play there? Got a feeling he will be squeezed out unfortunately. Gutherson style.

Post of the Month ....

Great question you asked about Weekes ... If not centre ... where does he play ?

I think for this year he will be stoked to be a regular #14 or fill in ... but next year?

In previous years, Des (& many Silvertails) preferred Suli, Harper or Parker over Walker in the centres. IMO, Walker was the most talented & classiest player of the four, but couldn't regain his centre position after spending long periods out of the team due to injuries & off field incidents. Des selected Walker in various positions - fullback, centre, five eighth, halfback, no. 14, lock & hooker (the last two in the final seven games in 2022). This was unfortunate as I felt centre & five eighth were his most effective positions.

Hopefully, a similar situation doesn't develop with Weekes. He is too good a player not to be in our top thirteen. If he is continually selected as a utility, it's likely he will be lured to another club requiring a quality fullback or five eighth. Papenhuyzen was outsanding off the bench for the Storm. Fortunately, Slater's retirement & also Hughes move from 1 to 7 allowed him to take over the 1 jersey. Hynes was also outstanding off the bench for the Storm covering 1 or 6, but left for a permanent 7 gig at Cronulla.

If our backs are ranked on the basis of pure talent, the top group would be Turbo, Garrick, Saab, Koula, Weekes, Schuster & DCE. Under them would be Parker, Tuipulotu, Harper, Johns & Vaega (?). In future, players like Latu, Myers & Humphreys may join the top group. I appreciate all the good aspects of Parker's game & the value he adds to the team. He plays to his strengths and will probably elevate his performances this year, knowing that there is competition for spots. Ultimately, I would like to see our most talented backs selected in the thirteen each week.

A hypothethical question: if we had to lose either Parker or Weekes to another club, who would you prefer to keep? I think most would answer Weekes. As another poster mentioned, Parker could possibly transition to lock forward. Maybe he has changed his running style this season to avoid recurring head knocks?

Last edited:
I love Parker but was in the " need a dynamic Centre" camp.
Looking at rnd 1 our only indication it looks like we are a Defence motivated squad, if this continues I say he keeps his spot purely on his defence.

There was a young fella who played centre in the trials. ( forgotten his name ) I think he is originally from Newcastle. He also seems to have a lot of potential…

Ohhhhh man.... I'm gunna cop heat for this....
I feel that Parker had his best game ever for manly against the Bulldogs & for that I 100% congratulate him. However I've seen him play every game that he's played in the top grade along with many in the lower grades & to me he's far too slow & awkward (he made just one line break all last season) to hold out the likes of Weekes who I would like to be given the opportunity to shine in the centres.
In short, if your trying not to lose a game then choose Parker, But if youre trying to win a game put Weekes in there!

I'll go sit in the corner & wait for my hiding now!

I feel that Parker had his best game ever for manly against the Bulldogs & for that I 100% congratulate him. However I've seen him play every game that he's played in the top grade along with many in the lower grades & to me he's far too slow & awkward (he made just one line break all last season) to hold out the likes of Weekes who I would like to be given the opportunity to shine in the centres.
In short, if your trying not to lose a game then choose Parker, But if youre trying to win a game put Weekes in there!

Nothing wrong with having an opinion and I get where You are coming from. I am a big fan of Brad , I love his work ethic and Toughness. I am happy for him to be in the 17 each week or happy to see a Youngster get a crack.

What you say is correct ... but until now ... I don't think we have had a better option than parker .. whether weekes is .. at centre .. is also yet to be seen .. but should be given a shot ... also Garrick should get his chance as well ..

Long term. Where does Weekes fit in? he may be offered big money to play fullback or 5/8 somewhere else. Can we afford to match it? if we do.. where does he play. At full strength. Fullback and 5/8 are covered. We are not going to pay big money for a winger. Centre would be the only option. Can he play there? Got a feeling he will be squeezed out unfortunately. Gutherson style.

Have feared this for a while. Feared it with Schuster but finally common sense prevailed. This kid may be a champion. We've lost good ones then suddenly realised we could find a place for them to late. I hope Manly sign him up

I think your gut feeling is probably the way it will end up, with some quality younger players coming through there is some tough decisions to be made.

Can the club match the dollars offered to Koula from others? Where and when does young Fainu come into the plans in the halves? Myers looked good in the trials at left centre, Humphries is he the future when DCE calls it a day? Does Weekes have a kicking game that could put the 7 on his back eventually?

If Weekes is to stay the centre position would be his best crack in cementing a spot in the 13 down.

I think your gut feeling is probably the way it will end up, with some quality younger players coming through there is some tough decisions to be made.

Can the club match the dollars offered to Koula from others? Where and when does young Fainu come into the plans in the halves? Myers looked good in the trials at left centre, Humphries is he the future when DCE calls it a day? Does Weekes have a kicking game that could put the 7 on his back eventually?

If Weekes is to stay the centre position would be his best crack in cementing a spot in the 13 down.
All valid questions. Fainu is another worry. Shuster could have the position on lock. Can fainu play 7? Maybe worth starting him there. Myers will get in eventually. Can see Weekes leaving. Humphries is an interesting one. May have played trials if he didn't get injured.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4