Taylan May - NRL is a joke.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I actually agree with it (if implemented the same way each time)...
The offence occurred in the off season and the kid has played all year so why should the suspension affect finals just because the legal system took so long?
It's a new approach but I am for it if it stops teams losing good players at this time of year for something inconsequential (storm in a teacup) that has been held up by the courts...

you're jokin'...
right?

Found guilty of assault on someone who had their back to him today, victim never saw it coming.

NRL gives him 2 week suspension but can serve next year so he doesnt have to miss a finals match.

The offence occurred in the off season and the kid has played all year so why should the suspension affect finals just because the legal system took so long?
It's a new approach but I am for it if it stops teams losing good players at this time of year for something inconsequential (storm in a teacup) that has been held up by the courts...
Did you see the CCTV? Not a storm in a teacup, the kid could have fractured his skull.
It only took so long because May pleaded not guilty. He was found guilty a few days ago. If he pleaded guilty (as he obvioulsy should have on the CCTV) it would have been over monhts ago

So you kill someone when you're a young fella, then say to the court "can I serve my sentence when I'm 80?"

Yeah, I hear what you're saying (and I admit I have not seen any footage) but based on what the magistrate found - that he was guilty and his action was cowardly, it seems he deserved the suspension. And to me a suspension is a suspension. But as you say, now that they've made the decision, there better be consistency.

Did you see the CCTV? Not a storm in a teacup, the kid could have fractured his skull.
It only took so long because May pleaded not guilty. He was found guilty a few days ago. If he pleaded guilty (as he obvioulsy should have on the CCTV) it would have been over monhts ago
He dragged the bloke down by his collar after the bloke apparently refused to delete video footage... it was a stupid drunken act but we are hardly talking king hits here...
Does not rate on my 'wow that was dangerous meter", but I appreciate that we may have different opinions on what is dangerous...
Either way, it did not happen recently and he has played all year... why does the suspension have to be served during finals? I have no issue with the call - so long as they are consistent...

Last edited:

As the rules stood, he should have missed the entire season!

I think you have to be looking at up to a certain amount of jail time (10years maybe???) before the "no fault stand down" rule kicks in John...
I may have that wrong tho...

I should probably say that I don't think what he did was right, and the bloke well may be an absolute muppet... I just think it's small-time in the scope of offending and I have no issue with the NRLs approach...

Taylan May was charged with assault occasioning bodily harm and found guilty.
The maximum sentence is 5 years in jail.

The NRL no fault stand down rules are any offence that has a maximum of 11 years in jail.

He was fairly by the rules allowed to play.

Delaying his NRL suspension to next week is a joke. Mitchell Pearce got 8 weeks suspension for pretending to bone a dog.

Something is very wrong with the NRL at the moment.

wow

In proposing the timing of the match suspension, the NRL considered a number of factors including when the incident took place, the date at which the proceedings were finalised and the impact of a match suspension at this time of year.

So ..."How badly will this effect one of the favoured teams?"

Also: On field offence - big and instant suspensions

Criminal offence - light suspension served at the clubs convenience.

Wow... that is a new level of extrapolation UK...
Renind me, did the bloke die?
I'm sure people have died in similar situations, maybe we wait until they do before we take any action. I'm not sure what it's like in Aus but I'm guessing it's not too different to over here and quite a few (mainly young blokes) die every year after being hit with one punch usually while both parties are drunk. But this is a diversion from the point, which is that the NRL are picking and choosing when his ban is. Maybe consistency is overrated

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6