Taniela Paseka

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We don't need another TRex but on the positive side the Tigpies are a basket case. Maybe in a more stable environment he'll kick on, Sironen seems to have flourished since he's changed clubs.
Yes T-Rex is another example. I really don't want another T-Rex or a Dave Taylor, but I am assured by my Tigpies mate that's what we are getting.

Yes T-Rex is another example. I really don't want another T-Rex or a Dave Taylor, but I am assured by my Tigpies mate that's what we are getting.
You could well end up being right Ralphie,but why not take a chance? Just because they could not get the best from him is not a reason to not take a chance.He fits into the low risk high reward category,we won't be paying him much but we could get a star...Many players are cast offs from other clubs,we have had a good record of getting something good out of others droppings.He could be another Chee Kam or he could be something special,no one is blowing their load but the upside is exciting....

A forward with big potential and who needs a kick up the backside is always worth taking on the challenge....P.S. If the NSW selectors thought he was good enough to play in the U20's side last year he must be impressing someone,I think he was selected as one of the starting props.Tigpies do not have a good record lately of getting the best out of their front rowers since Taylor took over,Barrett did a good job with Vave the lazy and AFB,maybe he can get the best from him,if not he will be moved on in time.

Last edited:
Let's just say we need to have an interchange system that allows him to be on the field ONLY when we have possession. If that were the case he'd be a great buy.

I have a solution! We adopt the ground breaking Parra substitution method. If he takes a hit-up on the 3/4th tackle of every set then lays down holding his head we can sub him off for free for a head check. Then clear him to come back on when we have the ball next.

See, that Brad Arthur truly is the messier!

You could well end up being right Ralphie,but why not take a chance? Just because they could not get the best from him is not a reason to not take a chance.He fits into the low risk high reward category,we won't be paying him much but we could get a star...Many players are cast offs from other clubs,we have had a good record of getting something good out of others droppings.He could be another Chee Kam or he could be something special,no one is blowing their load but the upside is exciting....

So long as he is on a 1-2 year deal for little money I'd agree he is low risk. I would suggest the club has backed our coaching staff over the Tigers staff (which isn't a huge leap of faith) to get his defensive effort and technique sorted.

My suggestion, tell him to follow Jake around and do what he does. Then at the end of each session have Marty run straight at him 10 times. That way he either learns to tackle, or his gets trampled countless times every week.

So long as he is on a 1-2 year deal for little money I'd agree he is low risk. I would suggest the club has backed our coaching staff over the Tigers staff (which isn't a huge leap of faith) to get his defensive effort and technique sorted.

My suggestion, tell him to follow Jake around and do what he does. Then at the end of each session have Marty run straight at him 10 times. That way he either learns to tackle, or his gets trampled countless times every week.
Don't think it is a technique thing,his technique leading with the shoulder and wrapping those wingspan arms around the ball carrier is not the issue,more an attitude thing from what some are saying.But Tigpies fans(some of them)suggest he is performing well in a rubbish side which potentially suggests he is putting in.But I like your point about our players encouraging,leading by example(Trbojevic/Taupau/Myles even?).That is what young forwards need and might be what is lacking at the Tigpies?

Ralphie is right, this kid needs a lot of work defensively. His missed tackle count is horrendous.
I'd image he'd be used like Fatsiano from the Dogs; comes on for 15 minutes at the back end of each half and is used as a battering ram. Fatsiano does have a lot of ball skills, so can draw in defenders and offload. He changes the course of many games for the Dogs, yet is a defensive liability. Mind you, if I was playing against either bloke I'd avoid them. Imagine being squashed under them!

The bloke can't / won't tackle, other than in patches and won;t get down and dirty in the forwards battle. Very much in the Dave Taylor category. The Tigpies have invested heavily in trying to remedy that without success. They have had one on one coaching, the lot and the bloke still thinks it's touch footy. Ultimately the Tigpies concluded that he wasn't going to be fixed any time soon and he was frustrated because he thought he should be playing NRL. He requested a release because he had been told he would play NRL this year and the Tigpies have not yet released him, but probably will.

Hearing the same, big guy with no heart. Likes to run the ball but hates the tough stuff. We have a few young stars that need a kick up the backside, why sign another. No way near ready for NRL, JWH and co will eat this gentle cat alive. If you want a big guy with heart and aggression look at the Broncos Payne Haas. Tigers rated Thomas Mikaele a better prospect and value going forward. Would have rather we resigned Bainbridge and Parker.

Don't particularly like stats but had a look,can't say his missed tackle count was bad,out of 22 games last year had 5 games where he missed 5 or more(but did play long minutes),one shocker of a game at 10 missed tackles but did play 72 minutes(17 hit ups too in that game). 17 games were 4-0 missed tackles which does not seem out of place for Holden cup.This year in Holden cup is averaging 4.3 a game(again not bad for Holden cup).Obviously does need some work or they would have signed him to a 3 yr, 1.2million deal and have let Woods walk(jokes,just jokes).Few young players come to a club as the finished complete package.

Ralphie is right, this kid needs a lot of work defensively. His missed tackle count is horrendous.

So are most in the U20's to be fair.

Give him a run in the reggies and see if its structure or style/heart.

But as people have stated he could be a Stromquist or could be a Tamalolo. Reality is probably somewhere in between

To put his size into perspective. He is reported to be 200cm and 120kg - and still growing.
The Melbourne behemoth Nelson Asofa-Solomona is 200cm and 115kg.
Sam Fatsiano is 196cm and 120kg (down from 130kg).
The most important question now that he'll be a hot topic on the Forum is what will we call him? Obviously we need a nickname.
I son't think Tiny is clever enough for we smart arses. So I'm suggesting either TeePee, or Tent.
Your thoughts?

Kid is 19 and was signed on potential. Get him amongst some hard nuts like Jurbo and in an environment where missing tackles isnt okay, and let's see how he goes. We don't have to start him, bring him in last 10-15 mins and see what he's got. Def worth the punt in signing him IMO and I am sure (could be wrong) he didn't break the bank.

To put his size into perspective. He is reported to be 200cm and 120kg - and still growing.
The Melbourne behemoth Nelson Asofa-Solomona is 200cm and 115kg.
Sam Fatsiano is 196cm and 120kg (down from 130kg).
The most important question now that he'll be a hot topic on the Forum is what will we call him? Obviously we need a nickname.
I son't think Tiny is clever enough for we smart arses. So I'm suggesting either TeePee, or Tent.
Your thoughts?

Maybe a synthesis of your suggestions: Tiny PeePee

Don't particularly like stats but had a look,can't say his missed tackle count was bad,out of 22 games last year had 5 games where he missed 5 or more(but did play long minutes),one shocker of a game at 10 missed tackles but did play 72 minutes(17 hit ups too in that game). 17 games were 4-0 missed tackles which does not seem out of place for Holden cup.This year in Holden cup is averaging 4.3 a game(again not bad for Holden cup).Obviously does need some work or they would have signed him to a 3 yr, 1.2million deal and have let Woods walk(jokes,just jokes).Few young players come to a club as the finished complete package.

But the big question is how many tackles did he make? Missing 10 tackles isn't bad if you make 200 successful ones. But if you miss 4 tackles and making only 8 then there is issues.

It seems he made 375 tackles last year in the Holden Cup and missed 73 tackles. Meaning for every 5.13 tackles he made he missed one. That is halves level defence. Which isn't optimal for a front rower.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8