• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone that frequents the site has ever had any major surgery work done? If so, how did everything go?

Cheers.

yeah been there done that, but every surgery is different so what sort of thing were you after?

Hi Flip. I had a gall bladder out in 1995. It wasn't great at the time but being younger and fitter I came back pretty well. You are groggy and sore for a bit but in our country you get pretty good medical care in general. Mind you surgery isn't for wimps but if it makes you better in the long term it is worth it.

Just had to follow instructions, not overexert myself and allow the stomach muscles to heal. I trust you will be okay. Just hope you have a good surgeon and anaethetist. Keep us posted - some of us can even pray for you. :) :) :) :)

If they offer you opiates be sure to accept as many as possible.  After all you are in a hospital so there is no safer place to get on the gear.  Morphine > pethidine. 

Yes we will all pray for you - I will pray that you get a hot nurse for your sponge bath!!

I had a knee reconstruction and then sever post-surgery complications and an ICU stint.  You may not want to hear about my exerience.  Whatever you do, don't go to Orange Base Hospital.

I had a smashed eye socket and needed a plate put in behind my eye.

yeah dont do anything silly in recovery and you should be ok if the docs are halfway competent.

and yes stay away fromOrange as Matas says :)

Thanks guys.

I'm not really worried about the procedure at all. Get the needle, go to sleep, wake up. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I get a few days of IV immunoglobulin too boost platelet counts to about 150 which is normal and then we can go ahead so the procedure will be like for anyone else.

The problem I am having is going through it all with just a 2/3 chance of success in curing ITP.

Flip, I would offer to pray for you but seeing as the prevailing sentiment is that we're all an accident of chance I figure you'd rather I don't indulge in such suspicions and hoary old myths. 

Mata I have been praying every day since falling sick again. Needless to say, I am still in need of surgery.

Good luck Flip - the only ones you want having infinite knowledge will be around the surgery table. I've had surgery and it has been ok, just make sure you really take time to heal - no doing anything outside doctor's orders.

Thanks MB, it looks likley that i'll be going under the chop this week some time. Got re-admitted to hospital tonight so if i had to guess i'd say thursday. They've already said it will be done by laprascope so thats some positive news. 3 small holes instead of 2 giant cut. 

You will probably end up with a sore left shoulder if they do a laproscope. 

They generally inflate your guts with carbon dioxide so they can see, and it ends up pressing on a nerve that gives you a sore left shoulder. 

Heaps better than a big cut though

Yeah they mentioned the CO2. Apparently that is what can be most uncomfortable. The good news is that its only a 1-2 day thing so provided it works I'll be home by the weekend.

Just quickly though, how long does the anesthesia take to wear off. I wouldn't mind being asleep for a couple of days. :)

I speak to the surgin today.

The first question on my list is... HOW TO STOP ME BLEEDING. :)

anasthesia depends on how long they will take to do what they are doing, you wont be out for too much longer than the op itself takes.

The lighter the anaethesia the better, because the drugs take a few days to get out of your system, leaving you feeling dorwsy and a bit queasy, so the less fo them you have the quicker it wears off. 

Cheers gronk, you work in pharmaceuticals yeah?

I'm not in the slightest worried about pain ect. More concerned i'll wake up and find it hasn't worked.

Nah I work with different sorts of chemicals...be thankful I didnt make anything that might get injected into you!!

My cousin is an anaesthesiologist, and Mrs Gronk had a laprascopic gallbladder removal one week before our wedding, so I have that experience too-she was up and about in her white dress a week later, so hopefully you will also be able to fit into yours!!

But yeah if it works I imagine it will hurt a lot less!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6