Supposed "Crisis at Manly" Megathread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Next on 9 news: Crisis at Manly

Lol. Today the DT are reporting 5 players leaving. They're including DCE and Foran as they haven't upgraded their contracts.
Linking both DCE and Choc to the slimies is funny as they're supposed to be 'the enemies within'.
They are reporting that the whole club is being dismantled.
Manly's performing on the field, on top of the ladder and have great juniors coming through.
Doesn't sound like a dismantling to me.

RE: Thank you for your Service

bob dylan said:
The disappointing thing about Choc and Gift etc is they have no class whatsoever.

Take a leaf out of the Menzies book boys, cop it on the chin and move on.

Please don't disrespect our diggers by comparing them to these overpaid and spoilt brats. Our diggers went to war, these blokes play football. There is no comparison ever.
You rock bob. I'm really enjoying your posts about this topic.

Is choc turning into a mundine or Tallis? They got more headlines for talking than playing near the end of their careers. Being passionate is good, but being cranky and outspoken is not. . If he wants to go manly should not pay a portion of his salary for the other club.

All this unrest rubbish brings to mind something I was told in passing 6 months ago by someone who helped with pre-season training (I didn't post it as the person had no history of accuracy, or inside info at all). Only post now as it is ringing true with everything being reported. Apparently when the murmurs began Tooves wanted to sit the team down and tell the who they would have to lose to keep Stewart, they were all young players with years left in them but they couldn't make them realistic offers if they paid Stewart his worth, (Think Hiku, Gutgerson, Buhrer, Sene-lefao) seems the old bulls don't like the idea of impending on field demise, and it seems like sane heads in recruitment and retention prevailed.

Ralphie said:
I'm not bothered by this at all. Let them go if they want to go I say. Brett leaves, Gutherson slots straight in and will grow and develop. Skivvy goes, Hiku slots straight in to centre and Turbo Tom or Cheyse Blair to the wing. Choc goes and we have a backrow of Buhrer, Horor, Symonds or Lui with Jake Turbo joining the bench.

Sure, it's not quite as strong a side as it is now, but it sure is a top 8 side that is developing.

I for one have absolutely no concerns about this except that I would like it brought to a head.

Agree 100% plus 1000 likes for this comment!!! Nip it in the bud Tooves, get it sorted mate! Our young blokes must be excited by all this :D

I wonder what the role of their agents is in all this. Do any of them have the same agent? Are we now at a place where agents are in their ear about their brand? - That seems to be the case with Watmough.
Is Brett with the same agent as either Matai or Watmough, 'cause I just can't figure where the Brett stuff has come from after all Manly have done for him.

All I can say, is thank God for Jamie Lyon - the epitome of a sensible man.

It must really gnaw at the heart of all non-Manly supporters to see that despite the best efforts of the media and player managers, Manly is still the best club in the NRL. Others throw their chequebooks at players, cheat the salary cap, bribe officials and sometimes have fleeting success, but Manly marches on.
No matter who is playing for us and how much we admire individuals, the flags we fly, the stickers we affix to our cars, the pride we all share is for our team: Manly.

The 78 premiership team looked quite different to the 76 one. We traditionally cope with player turnover. The juniors that are coming through are special talents. Choc's reported 900k would be handy. If I were him I'd shut up and take the money, in case manly called my bluff and punted me. Buhrer, horo, symonds stepped up and we kept winning without choc and Glenn. Just saying.

I dont seem to remember these "old bulls' demanding Beaver stay at the end of 2008.

If these guys really wanted Glenn to stay all they needed to do was each take a $100k pay cut but it seems the friendship doesn't run that deep.

The ONLY crises at Manly is that our TROPHY cabinet is getting far too SMALL!

It may have to be extended YET AGAIN! And we have to ask the nrl for 1 million dollars to ensure we have adequate space in the cabinet for the next....5 years or so.

Was there a match last night?
Seems the media missed it. There's reports about Manly but nothing about the football the team is playing.

The NRL needs to compensate Manly Fans for the annual cost of GF Tickets (pre-sales starting today BTW).

Whilst Rabbids Fans are granted the luxury of saving up for 40+ years, Manly Fans are expected to fork out each and every October - there has got to be an investigation :exclamation:

Maybe the NRL's ever increasing GF Ticket prices, are solely designed to stop Manly Fans travelling to Homebush :dodgy:

G'day all,The fact that yet again we are talking about player contracts really highlights the nrl's complete inertia on the issue that has needed addressing for some time.Surely it can't be that hard to have a comprehensive system involving long term player discounts,designated transfer periods and severe penalties for breaches of the rules,be it to players,managers,third parties or clubs/officials.
Another reason we seem to have these sort of issues is that players don't look to wind down their careers now they view their contracts as a last big payday,which is entirely their right,but which as we have seen leaves the club in an awkward situation trying to juggle between keeping them or the young up and comers.
While i'm sure everyone here appreciates the great things that the current group has achieved this "culture" that has been created is not just due to the efforts of4or 5players but by many others along the way and it would be nice to see them pass the torch on for a seamless transition to the next generation rather than the current unedifying spectacle.
Maybe i'm overly nostalgic and being from a different generation i'm out of touch with modern thinking and values,but loyalty and integrity seem to have a different price tag these days.
cheers mike[/align]

globaleagle said:
The ONLY crises at Manly is that our TROPHY cabinet is getting far too SMALL!

It may have to be extended YET AGAIN! And we have to ask the nrl for 1 million dollars to ensure we have adequate space in the cabinet for the next....5 years or so.

We could approach Cronulla to rent space in theirs.

mike walker said:
G'day all,The fact that yet again we are talking about player contracts really highlights the nrl's complete inertia on the issue that has needed addressing for some time.Surely it can't be that hard to have a comprehensive system involving long term player discounts,designated transfer periods and severe penalties for breaches of the rules,be it to players,managers,third parties or clubs/officials.
Another reason we seem to have these sort of issues is that players don't look to wind down their careers now they view their contracts as a last big payday,which is entirely their right,but which as we have seen leaves the club in an awkward situation trying to juggle between keeping them or the young up and comers.
While i'm sure everyone here appreciates the great things that the current group has achieved this "culture" that has been created is not just due to the efforts of4or 5players but by many others along the way and it would be nice to see them pass the torch on for a seamless transition to the next generation rather than the current unedifying spectacle.
Maybe i'm overly nostalgic and being from a different generation i'm out of touch with modern thinking and values,but loyalty and integrity seem to have a different price tag these days.
cheers mike[/align]

Your're right Mike.

I read somewhere that Ponting said he would have retired two or three years earlier if he wasn't pulling in over a million a year.

A man with honour and pride who stands by his mates??

His mate is still playing football next year and will be on quite decent money doing so. He hasn't been robbed of his ability to make big money playing football for a living!!

Jerry1 said:
What you all forget is there is no certainty that turtle or foran will stay. So minus the disgruntled and retirees we could be the sharks for a few seasons or worse - could finish the club.

BOZO said:
winnyason said:
Life goes on, no one is bigger bozo, vautin, beaver all had too go. Then following the great era of the mid to late 90s Tezza, spud, ridge, hopa. We have been very lucky.
If they want to go then so be it, we will rebuilt keep dce,foz, ferris develop gutherson and the turbo boys.
We cannot get gun held to our head. So disappointed in choc a local junior been here since 2002.
what will Choc prove or gain if he leaves us ?

The honor and pride of standing up for his mate. Just like a digger in the field who won't leave a wounded mate behind. Loyalty to a mate that he has been through many battles with. Shared highs and lows. Some of you have never done this so will never understand what it means to be in a band of brothers. Sometimes you have to stand tall when you see what you believe to be an injustice.

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

The injustice here is the salary cap and not the club that gave Gift an opportunity when other clubs just wanted the Snake .
How about honouring and being loyal to us fans who travel all over the place , who withstand all weather conditions and pay our hard earned cash and cheer for all our players and stick by them win or lose . The example of the diggers is that they gave it all for their great country and if these players want to be honoured like the diggers they should keep playing with passion for their great club just as they did yet again last night against the Dragons .
Come on guys we are not asking you to dodge bullets we are asking you to dodge news paper reporters :)

Staff online

• Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8