Supposed "Crisis at Manly" Megathread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Triple M

If only the NRL could come up with some sort of loyalty rewards programme for players who play many years at one club.
We wouldn't be having this discussion.

Yawn, very boring story.
Why worry about next year's comp and the one after? You can only win one comp at a time!

Personally I'm just enjoying this year, we've got some fantastic players and another famous victory in October is all but assured.

Brookie Brawler said:
Fluffy said:
My worry with all this is that none of them will want to take a pay cut to do it and apart from Matai I can't see any getting equal money if reports are try.

Matai appears to just want to make his last contract a superannuation one like Kite did.

This might mean that we are left paying the difference and it comes under the salary cap.

Pretty sure the previous club only continues to pay the difference and cop it in the salary cap when they show the player the door mid contract, ala Parra last year. Can anybody confirm this?

No idea what happened with T-Rex though. Apparently he chose not to take up an option for an extra season so Manly ended up paying an extra 80k to him last year while he played for the dogs which was included in our cap????

yep - if a player wants a release to join another club and it is granted then the club they are released from have no financial commitment to the released player. It's only if they are released by a mutual consent type thing with the new club, and it's usually to fee up cap space. In these rumours, if true, it's an outright release, see ya later type thing.

With T-Rex, he had a 2 year deal - 1 year plus an option for a 2nd. Schubert ratified the deal because he assumed T-Rex would see both years as the 2nd year was back ended. When he left, Schubert decided that the value of T-Rex's contract was undervalued, so valued it at an extra 80k or whatever it was. It was crap and shouldn't have been ratified in the 1st place if the value wasn't high enough and, again, T-Rex decided to leave of his own accord - should have been tough luck.

Not sure why Snake would be linked to Souths. Where would he play?

I am over it all. We are having a great season which is being ruined by all this crap. We should be talking about how good we are going.

If you have a contract honor it. Stop having a cry and get on with it.

How the hell do they all expect pay rises and not expect to lose players?

Thank you for your Service

Like most Sea Eagles fans on here I've been one my whole life (or as long as I can remember), which is weird since my family are all Roosters fans. I grew up in the 80s with our great team and the great rivalry with the Eels. I just loved Phil Blake.

Then the 90s, and blow me down what a team. Tooves, Beaver, Cliffy, SPUD! This was a great team in any era.

But the 2005 onwards era is just so special to me. I think it's because the Northern Eagles fiasco made me realize our success wasn't guaranteed, and in fact we may never see much success again. In fact semi finals football was a pipe dream. Then BK came, and I know a lot of you don't buy the myth of BK, but it was just what I needed at this time to see we were serious. And bang!!! What a period it has been 10 straight years now of semi finals football. I have just loved this last 10 years and savoured every victory and definitely our 2 premierships.

In that time I've idolized and loved Killer (obviously), Snake, Gifty, Choc, Kitey, Robbo, Skivvy, Foz, DCE and many many more. Boys I've loved every minute. And in 2014 we are headed deep into September or maybe even October (fingers crossed).

When any of you retire or go somewhere else, thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you have done. I wish you all the success in the future. But please please please if you leave the club leave with dignity. We all know rugby league is a business, but it's more than that. We realize it's a job and you need to look after family, but badmouthing the club etc is not badmouthing the administrators/board or whoever. It's badmouthing us, the fans. And we don't deserve that (ok there is the odd tool in any club, and its funny how the rabbitohs have more than most) as we pour our heart and soul into the club also.

sheridanstand78 said:
I just listened to Tooveys press conference post game.

A minute on the performance then the rest is all about hosing down player unrest. Who ever is responsible for the leaks that are fanning these rumours needs to be dealt with by the club.

Its not fair on the players and coach who are trying to win this comp and have the club at their best interest.

Yeah and I smell a large mediterranean behind a lot of this.

mickqld said:
sheridanstand78 said:
I just listened to Tooveys press conference post game.

A minute on the performance then the rest is all about hosing down player unrest. Who ever is responsible for the leaks that are fanning these rumours needs to be dealt with by the club.

Its not fair on the players and coach who are trying to win this comp and have the club at their best interest.

Yeah and I smell a large mediterranean behind a lot of this.

Isn't Choc on nines payroll.

RE: Next on 9 news: Crisis at Manly

The thing that hurts a bit as a supporter who loves this club is the players seems to have become insular that they are playing for each other, but necessarily the maroon and white. I know they are professional athletes who should be looking after themselves first and foremost but part of me hoped the reason we have been such a great club is because of who we are, as a club, as a group of supporters. But are we really just like every other team where the players show up for a paycheck? Probably not, but a tiny bit of what I thought made us extra special gets diminished with actions like this.

Masked Eagle said:
The thing that hurts a bit as a supporter who loves this club is the players seems to have become insular that they are playing for each other, but necessarily the maroon and white. I know they are professional athletes who should be looking after themselves first and foremost but part of me hoped the reason we have been such a great club is because of who we are, as a club, as a group of supporters. But are we really just like every other team where the players show up for a paycheck? Probably not, but a tiny bit of what I thought made us extra special gets diminished with actions like this.

Completely agree. That's why I'm a bit down. Im angry now. Piss off the players who don't want to be part of it. And replace them with young, eager players who buy into the culture we have. Don't get some older players wreck it. Even if they help create it.

RE: Thank you for your Service

Nice post.
And you're right that Northern Eagles era was a debacle and BK made a big difference when he came.
Whatever happen with our current roster, Go Manly! Always!:)
Onwards and upwards.

Beaver wanted an extra year but he didn't put up a stink because he loved the club too much and he knew the club couldn't make him the highest priority no matter the effort he put in previously. He just loved playing for Manly. I thought/hoped they all felt that way.

Have to agree with @dowdz - I doubt Souffs would want to take in Snake and have to move GI back to the centres. While they would probably take him (if only to get one over Manly), its obvious their long term plans involve Inglis at FB because he is wasted in the centres with less room to move.

Snake to the Scumdogs if Manly do happen to do the unthinkable and release him....I can believe that. They are in desperate need of a fullback and he'd link with Des again. But I can't see Manly releasing him. Or Choc and Skivy for that matter.

I can appreciate these guys, especially Snake, being upset that the club couldn't or wouldn't offer Gifty a contract beyond 2014. But at the same time, this happened 6 year ago when these guys (and others) were getting large enough contract extensions with big money back-end deals to force the club to have to let go a legend like Beaver. I'm kinda loath to say it but if their beef is about the younger guys like Cherry and Jamie Buhrer getting money that they feel could have been used to keep Gifty, then considering what happened in the past its a bit hypocritical.

I'd prefer them all to stay and continue giving their all for Manly until they retire, I think after the service they have given the club they deserve that. But at the same time, I know as a fan that whatever happens, we'll move on and continue having success and we'll continue supporting the club through thick and thin.

Life goes on, no one is bigger bozo, vautin, beaver all had too go. Then following the great era of the mid to late 90s Tezza, spud, ridge, hopa. We have been very lucky.
If they want to go then so be it, we will rebuilt keep dce,foz, ferris develop gutherson and the turbo boys.
We cannot get gun held to our head. So disappointed in choc a local junior been here since 2002.

If any player that leaves Manly thinks the grass will be greener at any other club they will get a rude shock . Every club has its own s***t but nothing is quite like the winning culture at Manly

Some things just don't add up:

If Matai's so miffed Manly knocked back his release request, how come he played so well tonight? You'd think he would've had a quiet game, but it was quite the contrary.

Why does Snake want a release now, instead of after Gift's announcement? I can't believe he'd leave after all the support we've given him over the years.

As for Choc, he's very disappointing. All his talk in the past about being a one-club man and having aspirations of being captain, seem to have been forgotten.

But the bottom line is a contract's a contract and it works both ways!

No-one's bad-mouthing us, the fans.

From certain players there's just a cry of angst, a railing against the forces of the footy universe. They'd like to ride off into the sunset together, mates playing and winning long into the future, and the truth hurts.

But they'll be OK, they are all big boys. And we will certainly be OK.

So relax and have a joke about it with your workmates who follow other teams. Tell them we're worried that next year we might miss the top 4. But probably won't!

winnyason said:
Life goes on, no one is bigger bozo, vautin, beaver all had too go. Then following the great era of the mid to late 90s Tezza, spud, ridge, hopa. We have been very lucky.
If they want to go then so be it, we will rebuilt keep dce,foz, ferris develop gutherson and the turbo boys.
We cannot get gun held to our head. So disappointed in choc a local junior been here since 2002.
what will Choc prove or gain if he leaves us ?

We have given Gift $600 k this season and he has done SFA in the 6 games he has played for us. Lets be real here while he has been good in very small patches, he never recovered from that knee injury in 2012. Manly made the right call in looking to the future.

BOZO said:
winnyason said:
what will Choc prove or gain if he leaves us ?

A long commute each day to train on Parra's 70m training field ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8