Suli off to Illawarra

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Because we want to get rid of him. The Dragons wanted to keep Saab and he agitated for a release. We told Suli to go...that's the difference. You can't tell a guy he is free to look elsewhere and then when he lands a deal, stall it for the poor guy. Saints wanted compensation because they desperately wanted to keep Saab. We desperately want to clear 550k off the books.

I that's true, fair enough. I just read an article saying we are happy for him to stay, and were seeking compensation, that's all.

I don't get the releasing him for nothing, when the Dragons management insisted on us paying $50k for Saab? At their respective points in their careers, Moses Suli would be seen as much more valuable.

Have we rolled over once again?

No, I thing the difference is that StG wanted to keep Saab ... whilst we wanted Moses gone ....

See Suli in years to come having a pretty good highlight reel ... but very few consistent 80min great games ...

No, I thing the difference is that StG wanted to keep Saab ... whilst we wanted Moses gone ....

See Suli in years to come having a pretty good highlight reel ... but very few consistent 80min great games ...

Sad, that we wanted Suli gone. But agree, he's rocks or diamonds like Manu Vatuvai (although Manu did kind of put in all the time). Yeah, like I say, maybe the article saying we are happy in retaining him, and were expecting compensation was off?

Sad, that we wanted Suli gone. But agree, he's rocks or diamonds like Manu Vatuvai (although Manu did kind of put in all the time). Yeah, like I say, maybe the article saying we are happy in retaining him, and were expecting compensation was off?
I note that the ultimate rocks'n'diamonds player, Joey Leilua, has been sacked by the Tuggers. Imagine a Suli-Leilua centres pairing at Illawarra? They'd become know as 'Pleasure and Pain'.

Sort of surprised Suli wants out, he still has a season to go with us. Saints will be looking to him when the big moments come, not sure he's that type of player though. One comment on here said that Foran had to shout at Suli to get into position for a run in a recent game. On the other hand he could turn out to be a real star for them, could be a maturity thing with Suli. If he goes , wish him all the best, but not when he plays us.

I think there's a bit of both in the stories.

On one hand we have a player contracted on big coin that started the season in first grade, got injured and the lesser paid back up hasn't put a foot wrong since.
Yes, we're paying big money for a player that's not playing but he's still on contract.

The issue becomes end of next year, if he's not playing first grade then his bargaining power for a new deal is diminished.
Manager throws it out there and gets some bites at current $$ going forward.
Manly can't guarantee those $$ going forward and as is the way these days the suitors want the player now or the deal is off.

The standard rhetoric is rolled out - the player needs to look after his future and we won't stand in his way if he can get a long term deal elsewhere.

If could come back to bite us but if we can use those $$ to keep Marty and upgrade others then it's a calculated risk worth taking.

I think there's a bit of both in the stories.

On one hand we have a player contracted on big coin that started the season in first grade, got injured and the lesser paid back up hasn't put a foot wrong since.
Yes, we're paying big money for a player that's not playing but he's still on contract.

The issue becomes end of next year, if he's not playing first grade then his bargaining power for a new deal is diminished.
Manager throws it out there and gets some bites at current $$ going forward.
Manly can't guarantee those $$ going forward and as is the way these days the suitors want the player now or the deal is off.

The standard rhetoric is rolled out - the player needs to look after his future and we won't stand in his way if he can get a long term deal elsewhere.

If could come back to bite us but if we can use those $$ to keep Marty and upgrade others then it's a calculated risk worth taking.
Yes, that makes sense although if he backed his own ability he'd play reserve grade and be so impressive he'd make it impossible for the first grade coach to ignore.

I expect that from both sides of the fence it was a difficult decision. Moses have a lot of potential and is a popular part of our tight playing group. But once you are in the category of $500 plus a season that means a big factor is balancing the a squad (in a salary cap sense) in which we already carry some big dollar players. For Moses he needs to earn good money and to stay at that level he needs to be playing first grade. Playing next season in reserve grade would have deflated his worth in the market. So whilst it sad that he is leaving the group this is really a win /win situation. Good luck to him next year except when he is playing against us.

Yes, that makes sense although if he backed his own ability he'd play reserve grade and be so impressive he'd make it impossible for the first grade coach to ignore.
Yes agree but with no reserve grade that makes it difficult.

Granted there should be reserve grade next year but if the incumbents don't put a foot wrong then it doesn't matter.
We all know Des doesn't drop players generally, Harper took Suli's spot because he got injured. Suli only got another run to cover for Parker and despite that impressive performance he still couldn't force Des' hand.

Can he afford to bang around at Blacktown hoping someone gets injured or their form drops off a cliff?

I don't see this as a win-win at all.

If Suli had made the most of his obvious potential, and cemented a 1st grade spot here at Manly, then that would have been a win-win.

It's a damn shame that up until now, the potential has been essentially wasted.

I hope he fulfills it at the Dragons, but let's be honest here....he has Brad Parker and Harper keeping him out of 1st Grade...that says it all about Suli.

If Suli had made the most of his obvious potential, and cemented a 1st grade spot here at Manly, then that would have been a win-win.

I hope he fulfills it at the Dragons, but let's be honest here....he has Brad Parker and Harper keeping him out of 1st Grade...that says it all about Suli.
I think you post puts things in perspective feathered friend

And it now appears that the Monster Mash has done the Monster dash

Exactly. He should be in the top 5 centres in the game, not struggling to win a spot in first grade. That "effort" against the Raiders (the first time we played them, not the second) where he gave the Raiders a try assist off his head was about the icing on the cake for me.

He is too lazy and requires too much hand holding. Both fixable, but not the sort of characteristics you want in a guy earning $550k.

Sometimes managers miss what makes a person ‘tick’. Suli was at Manly with his mates and that may be what changed his behaviour and even then, Des had to put him on a strict diet.

If the Dragons are going to pay him $500k a year, good luck to him and it will hopefully set him and his family up for life.

I don’t think he’s worth $500k a year and while it may cause some angst among his mates at Manly, I think, from what I’ve heard, is that Manly said they wanted him at the club for 2022 but would not commit beyond 2022.

I wish him the best wherever he ends up with his playing career.

The finals game against Souths in 2019 Finals was his best game by far. He was unstoppable, and we should have walk away with a win that day. I was expecting improvement from him but he never captured the menacing power center I thought he has become.

Given 2021 Parker and Harper (sound like a 80% cop show), has preformed consistently, Suli way to expensive to be used as a reserve. I wish he well in his new club

Exactly. He should be in the top 5 centres in the game, not struggling to win a spot in first grade. That "effort" against the Raiders (the first time we played them, not the second) where he gave the Raiders a try assist off his head was about the icing on the cake for me.

He is too lazy and requires too much hand holding. Both fixable, but not the sort of characteristics you want in a guy earning $550k.
How many years have people been saying he is the next big thing?

Tigers/Dogs/Manly

The problem for Suli is that the changes in the game have made it more important to have faster backs not powerful ones which is the old game

Hence why our future centres will be Toula and tippytoes

The finals game against Souths in 2019 Finals was his best game by far. He was unstoppable, and we should have walk away with a win that day. I was expecting improvement from him but he never captured the menacing power center I thought he has become.

Given 2021 Parker and Harper (sound like a 80% cop show), has preformed consistently, Suli way to expensive to be used as a reserve. I wish he well in his new club

I think we have stumbled upon the point here.

Yeah, Suli was unstoppable in the 2019 finals game v Souths. We lost.

He was unstoppable v Raiders a couple of weeks ago. We lost.

Parker and Harper have been solid, if unspectacular, all season. We finished 4th.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4