Still lots of deficiencies......

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I know it was wet, and we were missing 3 of our best, but I was still disappointed with last night's performance. The intensity and enthusiasm levels tended to stop for lengthy periods of times. Only a handfull really stood up, and we all know who those players were. Here are the problems still:
1. Watmough - it is only a matter of time until his handling errors cost us a match. He dropped one when we were on the attack in their 10m area, and then one in our half, which led to their 1st try. We need a coach to spend 2-3 hrs a week just helping him with this.
2. Attacking set plays - there are basically none. Why can't we ever get a set backline play going when we are on the attack? It's just Orford running around looking for runners. Where are the backrow decoys? Burns has to start taking some of the heat off Ox. He did nothing offensively good last night. The coaches need to get him involved in attacking plays. And I'd like to see Watmough used a bit better - he's just one-out at the moment, and his offloads are non-existent. I don't think he's anything like last year. Yes, he made some good runs for 15m or so, but he can do so much more.
3. Monas/Dunley - O'm not sure we can carry both, plus Willo. Monas can't pass very well to the right side, and his dummy-half running is non-existent. Dunley missed the tackle on Lafrancchi, and didn't do too much overall.

I feel the same mate.. i don't think it was a very impressive performance at all!! I was getting frustrated watching it!!

But, the biggest positive is that we played like that and still got away with the 2 points... The team defended well to keep the tigers at 12 - 6 and that is reall what gave us our shot!!

So, although not impressed with the way we played... i love the fact we played like that and still won!

Agreed mate, the defence was the shining beacon last night. The way they were throwing their bodies on the line near our goaline was heroic. It's what will continue to win us the close matches methinks. :clap: It's what we were doing with the ball in hand that had me worried......

Yeah, good to see some realism. I guess we're certainties for a three-peat now on MSE.

What concerns me is the inordinate amount of workload that BK shoulders in the pack. I haven't seen the fulltime stats but at the 67th minute mark BK had run for 133 metres and choc 99. After that I think Bryant had about 60 and Minogue the same.

Rose, Deadwood, Willo etc were all under 50 (well under 50)

BK is doing the work of three of our fringe first grade loafers.

Great win and good to be there to see it. I thought it was Glenn Stewart who made the error, not Whatmough, that led to their first try. Look the Tigers are a very difficult team to score against especially running through. They pride themselves in that department. Two defensive errors let them in for their two tries. Dunley and Robertson can be blamed in part but not totally, and they also did some good things in what was a very good team effort in defense, especially in the second half when they were camped on our line. BK must go around again next year. Offer him the world.

I dont disagree with you Crusher.

But what keeps me upbeat this year is that whilst our offence needs improving, I see it as a mere developmental issue and not a constructional thing.

We are light years ahead in our defensive capabilities and its because of this that sets us up to improve our offensive game plans. Last year there is just no way we would have won that game (or a number of others this year for that matter). This year the team as a whole digs in and has somehow figured out how to manafacture a win when in other times heads would be down. There is a real spirit brewing.

I am feeling very optomistic about where Des is heading with the team and I am even optomistic about the 3 problem areas youve mentioned.

1) Agreed about Choc. He is not up to his usual standard so far this year and his ball handling/retention needs some coaching work. But I think he will bounce back when semi finals excitement rocks around. BK's infectious motivation will have him challenged to focus and find his groove. I think Choc is simply not peaking too early.
2) Attacking set plays -: On a few occassions last night we were so boring in attack I sat up excited when they performed the runaround play. But i do think we are building towards an improved attack. We are still making good metres in both our kicking game & hitups. Its only are set plays & creativity when in opposition 20 that seems to stifle us. Im sure that part of our game will improve out of sight between now and the finals.
3) Agree about the Monas/Dunley/Willo burden trifecta, but while its a problem we need to address im hoping its a problem they eventually resolve via the recruitment/retention committe's plans into next year. I dont know about anyone else but I would be concerned about the risk of the damaging upheaval if changes were made during our build up to this years finals. (**** memories of last years debacle)

So all in all, im not concerned about where we are headed. In all reality we are likely to fare well in the finals but come up short through lack of finals experience, with a great shot at the premiership next year or the following.

Its all one big smooth gravy train ride on the upswing from here for the foreseeable future.

i find it hard to criticise 6 errors on a night like that. It was cold wet and one can only think that the ball must have been very very greasy. Makes stewy's try even more increadible.

I agree with the lack of enthusiasm being a problem. Maybe the players out of the team bring more than just their attack and defence.

BK was awsome with 214m
Glenn stewy made over 50 tackles
only other player to make 100m or more was matai

Our props should hang their heads in shame - no one put their hand up for a run early on. I thought lulu was a sub at 12 minutes because it was the first hit up he made.

The ref didnt help with the refuse to blow a penalty attitude - killed any pace the game had which was slow to start with

Glenn Stewart is stepping up well.

I agree with Willo's comments in Big League. We're not playing to capacity and there is room for improvement as the season wears on.

A whole lot better than this time last year when we hit a brick wall and Monas started running concentric circles.

The game was a high quality game and we were without two of our forward worker and the one back with attacking class.

I agree with the original post especially about the bit of constructing a set and also the hooker bit.

Best consolation is that we have a half who is looking better each week, and that we have heaps of improvement left in us

i find it hard to criticise 6 errors on a night like that. It was cold wet and one can only think that the ball must have been very very greasy. Makes stewy's try even more increadible.

I agree with the lack of enthusiasm being a problem. Maybe the players out of the team bring more than just their attack and defence.

BK was awsome with 214m
Glenn stewy made over 50 tackles
only other player to make 100m or more was matai

Our props should hang their heads in shame - no one put their hand up for a run early on. I thought lulu was a sub at 12 minutes because it was the first hit up he made.

The ref didnt help with the refuse to blow a penalty attitude - killed any pace the game had which was slow to start with

agree Fluffster, our props where ordinary, Bryant didnt seem to play with his usual enthusiasm, and yes the Ref killed what was already going to be a slow game in the wet, but throwing the rule about laying on a tackled player out the window, so when either side got a roll on , the defence just layed on top of the tackle player and gave the defence plenty of time to re set.

A mate of mine who is a ref suggested that was exactly what the tigers do all the time, now this style of reffing suits them to a tee.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6