STEWART SAYS NO

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Captain of the Gate link said:
[quote author=Bones link=topic=186313.msg312867#msg312867 date=1295751686]
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=186313.msg312866#msg312866 date=1295750892]
[quote author=Bones link=topic=186313.msg312865#msg312865 date=1295750632]
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=186313.msg312856#msg312856 date=1295747369]
[quote author=Rex link=topic=186313.msg312837#msg312837 date=1295739823]
With their offer, News Ltd have recognised they are significantly exposed to being found guilty of defamation.

So where is Gallop's voice in support of this NRL player being mistreated by the media? Where is his outrage at the way Brett Stewart was treated? When has he EVER criticised News Ltd's or any other media's treatment of Brett Stewart?

Every player in the game should recognise that Gallop is not the man to support or protect the players from unfair or illegal mistreatment of them. And never will be.

It's up to us as members to put pressure on the club regarding Gallop and his continued involvement in the game. I have told the club that I refuse to renew my membership until they publicly state whether they will be supporting David Gallop in his quest to pursue an executive role in the new IC. After the way Gallop treated our club, and Brett Stewart personally, during his court case, I'd be gobsmacked if the club could be so stupid as to endorse Gallop in any way shape or form. On the contrary they should be very vocal in their opposition to this muppet having anything to do with our game.
[/quote]

Whilst I agree with everything you say about Gallop, If Manly were to do this they would have no chance of winning another Premiership while ever he is charge. He would see to that. The club should support brett, as they have done but be very wary about what they say about Gallop.  
Brett , on the other hand should take News Ltd for all he can get,  and then sue the dirty little mole who accused him.
[/quote]

what ya sayin Paul Bones ? Is our game rigged ;)
[/quote]

No.  Because its NOT our game. They only say that when it suits them. It is Channel 9's game
[/quote]

Funny that you attack Channel 9 cause they paid what equals a large percentage of his legal bill for his exclusive interview with Gus Gould late last year
[/quote]

I have read and re-read what i posted and i still cant see where i have attacked channel 9. All i said was that its their game... which it is.

It would be interesting to quantify the damage News Ltd's "reporting" of Stewart's case caused to the Manly Sea Eagles brand.  It might go some way to explain the difficulties we are having in attracting a major sponsor.

Thanks to News Ltd's despicable reporting much of the public still believes that our club has a culture of getting drunk and disrespecting women and our star player is a drunken rapist.  This will take a long time to go away, despite Stewart being cleared in Court.

I couldn't agree more MadMarcus.  The club missed out on the marketing potential of Brett because of the allegations and Gallop's behaviour.  Negative press is a real problem when attempting to attract sponsors (the Bulldogs had to go a full year without).  The NRL should factor that in when dealing with our club, and the club should investigate suing News ltd and others..  Their false claims about our star player damaged our brand in the market place.  I think there's a case for legal action.   

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
[quote author=Captain of the Gate link=topic=186313.msg312874#msg312874 date=1295755758]
[quote author=Bones link=topic=186313.msg312867#msg312867 date=1295751686]
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=186313.msg312866#msg312866 date=1295750892]
[quote author=Bones link=topic=186313.msg312865#msg312865 date=1295750632]
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=186313.msg312856#msg312856 date=1295747369]
[quote author=Rex link=topic=186313.msg312837#msg312837 date=1295739823]
With their offer, News Ltd have recognised they are significantly exposed to being found guilty of defamation.

So where is Gallop's voice in support of this NRL player being mistreated by the media? Where is his outrage at the way Brett Stewart was treated? When has he EVER criticised News Ltd's or any other media's treatment of Brett Stewart?

Every player in the game should recognise that Gallop is not the man to support or protect the players from unfair or illegal mistreatment of them. And never will be.

It's up to us as members to put pressure on the club regarding Gallop and his continued involvement in the game. I have told the club that I refuse to renew my membership until they publicly state whether they will be supporting David Gallop in his quest to pursue an executive role in the new IC. After the way Gallop treated our club, and Brett Stewart personally, during his court case, I'd be gobsmacked if the club could be so stupid as to endorse Gallop in any way shape or form. On the contrary they should be very vocal in their opposition to this muppet having anything to do with our game.
[/quote]

Whilst I agree with everything you say about Gallop, If Manly were to do this they would have no chance of winning another Premiership while ever he is charge. He would see to that. The club should support brett, as they have done but be very wary about what they say about Gallop. 
Brett , on the other hand should take News Ltd for all he can get,  and then sue the dirty little mole who accused him.
[/quote]

what ya sayin Paul Bones ? Is our game rigged ;)
[/quote]

No.  Because its NOT our game. They only say that when it suits them. It is Channel 9's game
[/quote]

Funny that you attack Channel 9 cause they paid what equals a large percentage of his legal bill for his exclusive interview with Gus Gould late last year
[/quote]

I seriously doubt it was a large percentage, what the goin rate for an exclusive interview maybe $20,000
[/quote]

There was a bidding war between 7 and 9 for the story that went through the roof as the networks tried to stick it to each other for what was at the time a national story. Add a zero to your figure that its close to what he recieved, minus his managers's fee for brokering the deal and taxes of course

MadMarcus link said:
It would be interesting to quantify the damage News Ltd's \"reporting\" of Stewart's case caused to the Manly Sea Eagles brand.  It might go some way to explain the difficulties we are having in attracting a major sponsor.

Thanks to News Ltd's despicable reporting much of the public still believes that our club has a culture of getting drunk and disrespecting women and our star player is a drunken rapist.  This will take a long time to go away, despite Stewart being cleared in Court.

Penn & Delmege's spat wouldn't of helped either.

Good onya snake.

Those pricks f%^%$D your life for 2 years and have tainted it forever with the crap they wrote in the paper.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD SAYING INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY.

Rothfield and co need a swift kick up the a$%e. Wankers

All this happened just after we had won the comp when one would expect us to be enjoying the exposure of being defending Premiers after a record win.  Max and co shafting Mayer was the icing on the cake of bad timing. We haven't been the same club since.

It's been a sad and sorry two years, hopefully 2011 will be better...a fit B Stewart, and revitalised G Stewart ad hopefully a rejuvenated A Watmough and we "might" be competitive again!

Mark from Brisbane link said:
It's been a sad and sorry two years, hopefully 2011 will be better...a fit B Stewart, and revitalised G Stewart ad hopefully a rejuvenated A Watmough and we \"might\" be competitive again!

Off topic, hey Mark didn't you mention that Lowie had some exciting news he was going to share with you last week ?

On topic I think it's fair to say that News did some damage to the Manly brand...whether or not that could be proven in a court of law is another matter....they could start by giving us back that 100k.

just a refresher

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1111119127871
Rotten to the core

By Rebecca Wilson
March 14, 2009 12:00AM

RUGBY league has spent millions trying to sell the message that it is a great example of what happens when professionalism meets athleticism - and the athletes happen to be working-class boys. Scratch the surface of the glamorous launches, the multi-million-dollar advertising campaigns and the gender experts, and what you have is a booze-fuelled, male-dominated culture full of accidents waiting to happen.
Where to start in one of rugby league's most shameful weeks? There is no need to discuss the sexual assault charges here. That is for the courts and it is irrelevant, really, in the scheme of things.
Where we can start is at an official club function.
I wrote last season how wonderful it was that the premiership-winning Manly team could manage to have a week full of drunken celebrations and not offend anyone. Their Grand Final party was joyous, fun and pretty innocent by league standards.
How wrong could I have been about a football team?
The club has started 2009 with a transformation - the team's official season launch degenerated into an alcohol-fuelled, unsupervised rabble with which even some club administrators were involved.
Witnesses say some present at the function were drunk. The blank-eyed Anthony Watmough allegedly told the father of a beautiful young woman present at the team's season launch that his daughter was a "s**t". He decided then to slap the girl's father.
It must be stressed here that these facts are not challenged by anyone at the club. Watmough was forced to apologise to the father, who turned out to be a club sponsor.
This is not an isolated tale of club members playing up on a night out. Their club could be any one of 16 in the NRL competition.
The last week has proved beyond any doubt that rugby league is crook to the core - that some of its players, clubs, administrators and even its fans are still willing to accept behaviour that is below normal social standards.
Manly reacted appallingly to the crisis. They did not stand Stewart down. The board voted unanimously to keep him in the team, even after NRL boss David Gallop implored them to drop him from the side.
The weak board ridiculously asked the team's coach what he wanted. Not surprisingly, Des Hasler opted for the win-at-all-costs option and the board bought it. Even a gaggle of famous female fans came out in support of Brett Stewart without having been present on the night or hearing the facts of the story.
A battle-weary Gallop suspended Stewart for four weeks (for being presented as the face of league one day and being too drunk to speak the next). He fined Manly $100,000 for Watmough's behaviour and for bringing the game into disrepute.
Gallop is starting to realise that badly behaved footballers need to be treated like children, not adults earning up to $750,000 a year. He is also sadly aware of the culture that exists within clubs which excuses "the boys".
How many more times must we hear "the boys needed to let their hair down" and how many more times must we witness the sport implode as a result of yet another player having 30 schooners?
Rugby league is its own worst enemy. With the exception of Gallop, the week has thrown up another bunch of drunken footballers who believe they are bullet-proof, weak administrators who love having a beer with "the boys" and fans willing to forgive all if their team is winning.
Stewart's face should never grace a poster or television advertisement again. If a 24-year-old with the world at his feet can't say no to a beer at the end of a long drinking session, he doesn't deserve to be adored by any of us.
Watmough's anger and nasty outburst has not attracted the attention it deserved either. He is obviously a troubled and cocky young man with no idea of social graces or sensibilities.
I attended the national rowing titles last weekend in Tasmania. These athletes are world class, do 14 training sessions a week and rarely say yes to a drink. They work fulltime to pay for their sport because, for them, it remains a noble pursuit.
Perhaps a few of our so-called elite footballers should seek these rowers out to see what makes them tick, to understand a little about how tough it is for most athletes pursuing dreams.
Brett Stewart and Anthony Watmough have forgotten the word "struggle" - the very word that drove them to shrug off their working-class upbringings in favour of a better life in rugby league. They have irreparably damaged themselves and their sport in the process.

then there was
Brett Stewart labelled "Mr Double Demerit" as Gallop cracks down
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nr...-1111119105168

BRETT Stewart was last night branded "Mr Double Demerit" as the NRL took its toughest-ever stance to save rugby league's battered image after a decade of scandal.

Making no apologies for personally intervening to have Stewart stood down for the next four weeks, Gallop said the Manly fullback had paid the ultimate price because he had failed in his role as the NRL's face of 2009.

A desire to end the annual cycle of drama that precedes each season also played a large part in Stewart becoming only the second player in NRL history forcibly benched by the game's top official.

"Players shouldn't need to be told that the last weekend before the start of the season is double demerit weekend," Gallop told The Daily Telegraph last night.

"Brett Stewart had a big responsibility to the code and he is now Mr Double Demerit."

Gallop's stern action came yesterday as research by The Daily Telegraph laid bare the full extent of the NRL's ongoing battle with alcohol-fuelled bad behaviour.

In the last 10 years the code has been rocked by at least 80 separate incidents involving booze.

Players and clubs have shelled out at least $500,000 in fines; over half the incidents have involved police but somehow, despite many serious offences, only one player - Wes Naiqama - ended up with jail time.

Dating back to Julian O'Neill's infamous treatment of teammate Jeremy Schloss's shoe in the 1999 pre-season, the NRL has averaged a new damaging drama on its hands every 45 days for the entire decade.

Stewart is facing a charge of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl. He has denied the allegations.

After lengthy deliberations that extended into the early hours of yesterday morning, Manly's board decided the fullback should continue to play. Gallop - who had a "robust" tele-conference with Sea Eagles directors during the

meeting - was disappointed when he discovered the club had failed to act at 1am.

He spent the next three hours pacing the hallway, contemplating what to do next.

"The biggest thing on my mind was that the ball was now in our court," Gallop said. "We wanted Manly to do something and thought they were going to."

Under the NRL's Code of Conduct, Gallop is empowered with the sole discretion to overrule the clubs and suspend any player if he believes a breach has occurred.

In Stewart's case, the NRL relied on a rule that binds players to "sober, professional and courteous behaviour" while consuming alcohol to justify intervention. There are also a number of clauses in Stewart's playing contract and registration form that oblige him to not bring the game into disrepute.

Gallop acted upon being satisfied the 24-year-old had been drunk and refused service during last Friday's now-infamous club season launch.

The term of Stewart's exile was discussed at a meeting between Gallop and top Manly administrators, CEO Grant Mayer and chairman Scott Penn, at NRL headquarters yesterday morning.

The ultimate four-week suspension gives both parties enough time to determine how the case is likely to pan out in the long term, with a hearing not expected for another 9-12 months.

Results from police DNA tests and further witness testimonies will give Manly and Gallop a better idea of whether Stewart should return this season.

"It's in everyone's interest - including Brett Stewart - that the player be taken from the spotlight for the time being," Gallop said.

"I paced around the hallway during the night to come to a decision - but I often do that.

"There was a concern from Manly that Brett could be stood down until the court hearing, which might take a year.

"That was never my intention."

Penn last night confirmed that Manly will not appeal Stewart's suspension.

The club is, however, considering its position on a $100,000 fine levelled by the NRL for bringing the game into disrepute at last Friday's function at Manly Wharf Hotel.

Gallop admitted that NRL staff had reacted to the Stewart allegations with a sense of resignation after so many dramas in recent years.

"There was a battle-hardened response - which is not where we want people who work at the NRL to be," he said.

"Something like this should come as a major shock, but unfortunately we've had a lot of experience in recent years."

The list published on these pages - which has even been heavily edited for space reasons - spells that painfully out.

Stewart is not alone in his status as a high-profile offender. Some of the game's biggest names - Brad Fittler, Willie Mason, Craig Gower and Mark Gasnier - have all been involved in trouble while out drinking.

Even a gaggle of famous female fans came out in support of Brett Stewart without having been present on the night or hearing the facts of the story.

That's right, smack back in the middle of her opinion piece about an event where she was not present and does not know the facts, Wilson criticises the Eagles Angels for taking a position contrary to her own!

What an idiotic arrogant hypocrit.  Speaking of which, please don't dig up any of Magnay's rubbish.  It will not be a good look if I punch my computer screen at work.

Stupid Slag.

Wonder if that sl&* will ever appologise. If I ever see her out and about I'll give her a mouth full.

Has she ever laced on any boot or played any sport.

Stupid cow.

Canteen Worker link said:
All this happened just after we had won the comp when one would expect us to be enjoying the exposure of being defending Premiers after a record win.  Max and co shafting Mayer was the icing on the cake of bad timing. We haven't been the same club since.
agreed but im still going to defend max & say it was because of the penn`s he did that , pressuring him..

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296021936[/time]

she `s a f&%$#@`n  mole BE..  sour bitch she should be gone ..brett should be chasing her for everything...

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296021987[/time]

i didnt even knw about that article..

Jjai, nothing much is going to be achieved by dragging up the past mistakes but I think the Penns were on record that Mayer should be saved. It was the football club directors that withdrew their support of Mayer and started the rot that led to his leaving. Max is now gone though those same directors are still involved. I hope they get the next decisions right!!!

Interesting that the articles were written by women!  Is that assumption correct?

I am also reminded of the saying those that live in glass houses should not throw stones.  I wonder if any of these writers were ever drunk in their lives?

I remember a recent article where Stewart was exonerated but they still referred to the 'boozy lunch' season opener.

Also, wasn't Stewart proven to 'not be under the influence of alcohol' at the court?  So does that now make David Gallop's original decision incorrect?

It seems to be a pity that David Gallop didn't 'pace the floor' a little longer and come up with a more favourable decision.

Good that all that sh*t that she wrote is on record!She should not be allowed any access to Manly media stuff-EVER!!And all the stuff that other prawn (all meat and sh*t for brains)Gallopin goose said is there to come back and bite him on the ar*e for all eternity.May they both,and others,have their chickens grow up to be emus,and kick down their dunny doors!! (couldn't write what i really wanted-dan would have deleted it..lol)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4