Steve Menzies to make comeback for Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
Steve Menzies to make comeback for Sea Eagles in Auckland Nines

Steve Menzies will come out of retirement to play his first game for the Sea Eagles in almost six years at this weekend's Auckland Nines.
The 40-year-old, who at the end of last year retired from the game after 21 years in the top grade in the NRL and English Super League, will on Tuesday be named in Manly's squad for the Nines tournament at Eden Park.

Fairfax Media also understands Manly have privately been discussing the possibility of Menzies returning for the NRL season on a one-year deal, however the chances of that happening are very slim.
It is understood Menzies has considered the possibility of making a return to the NRL but that could hinge on how he performs in Auckland.

He has a close relationship with former teammate and now Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey, but salary cap restraints may also prohibit Manly from signing Menzies on a one-year deal.

While the Sea Eagles are depleted in the forwards following the departures of George Rose and Brent Kite and the retirements of Joe Galuvao and Richie Fa'aoso, they are well served in the back-row.
Menzies, who began his career at Manly in 1993, has spent the past five years playing in the English Super League for the Bradford Bulls and Catalans Dragons.

He'll join former representative teammate Brad Fittler to come out of retirement for the inaugural Nines tournament.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/steve-menzies-to-make-comeback-for-sea-eagles-in-auckland-nines-20140210-32bua.html#ixzz2stWmO4aD
Read More

Steve Menzies to make comeback for Sea Eagles in Auckland Nines

Steve Menzies will come out of retirement to play his first game for the Sea Eagles in almost six years at this weekend's
epp-menzies2.jpg
Auckland Nines.
The 40-year-old, who at the end of last year retired from the game after 21 years in the top grade in the NRL and English Super League, will on Tuesday be named in Manly's squad for the Nines tournament at Eden Park.

Fairfax Media also understands Manly have privately been discussing the possibility of Menzies returning for the NRL season on a one-year deal, however the chances of that happening are very slim.
It is understood Menzies has considered the possibility of making a return to the NRL but that could hinge on how he performs in Auckland.

He has a close relationship with former teammate and now Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey, but salary cap restraints may also prohibit Manly from signing Menzies on a one-year deal.

While the Sea Eagles are depleted in the forwards following the departures of George Rose and Brent Kite and the retirements of Joe Galuvao and Richie Fa'aoso, they are well served in the back-row.
Menzies, who began his career at Manly in 1993, has spent the past five years playing in the English Super League for the Bradford Bulls and Catalans Dragons.

He'll join former representative teammate Brad Fittler to come out of retirement for the inaugural Nines tournament.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/steve-menzies-to-make-comeback-for-sea-eagles-in-auckland-nines-20140210-32bua.html#ixzz2stWmO4aD

Manly sent a tweet that the Team won't be announced till 9am - but I live in hope :)

Manly will have a new record - the most headgear worn in a single game, if Ferris and Matty run out with Beeeaver :p

Was just about to post this.
Im a little surprised, didnt think Toovs would go this path. But Beaver could still certainly contribute, so why not i suppose. Will make for good viewing, watching the great Beaver Menzies in a Sea Eagles jersey again. Thankyou god

"Fairfax Media also understands Manly have privately been discussing the possibility of Menzies returning for the NRL season on a one-year deal"

Memo to Manly Board:

Jatz is currently in possession of $1.00 and a black pen. I am happy to give up both.

Jatz Crackers said:
Jatz is currently in possession of $1.00 and a black pen. I am happy to give up both.

I hear what you are saying Jatz, and wouldn't it be awesome, but even if we so sign him for $1, do the NRL still 'assign' a market value for salary cap purposes, irrespective of what the dollar value of the contract is?

I am SICK TO DEATH of every Manly article containing the words "salary cap constraints"!

Manly have lost a forward who was on $130,000 a year so there's room to sign a player without going over the cap.

Give me a break & GO BEAVER!

Awesome news to hear that the Beaver will be back playing for Manly. Can't wait to see him running around for us again.

HappilyManly said:
Don't forget that rubber stamp, Jatz :D
Manly have progressed from the pen!

Next thing you know there will be a recruitment meeting online with Beaver committing to contract via a digital signature. (insert modern day tech joke here)

Clint said:
I hear what you are saying Jatz, and wouldn't it be awesome, but even if we so sign him for $1, do the NRL still 'assign' a market value for salary cap purposes, irrespective of what the dollar value of the contract is?

Wouldnt that be a contentious issue. Who is to say what a recently retired french league veteran is worth in the NRL ? On the other hand, if the ARLC played their cards right this could be a very good PR switch from all the off season bad boy drama to a cleanskin legend of the game returning to the comp everyone (even rival clubs) loved him being in.

Gallop & the NRL missed the boat back then when Beaver left. The question is does the current ARLC have the nous to pickup on this second bite at the cherry ?

I hope there are no impediments to his return.

I reckon he's just what we need after losing experienced blokes like Kitey and Joe.
The young blokes would be rapt having the chance to play with this club legend!

I think this is a beat up but good PR for the 9's.

He hasn't been sighted training with Manly so I doubt it very much and I think he's as much chance as Darren Lockyer claiming he might come out of retirement to ensure he keeps his number of games higher than Beaver.

I can understand why Fittler is playing for the Roosters because they want to rest their main players for the World Club Championship and just want a leader on the field but, we have no justifiable reason and I am sure Sea Eagles players would be disappointed if they missed out because of it.

Hmmmm... I stand severely corrected.

But, I'm not happy that both Lyon and Matai supposedly have got injury 'niggles' already!

However, I'm always happy to see the Beaver in a Manly jumper.

He is on Fox now confirming it ! Said that 2v had the idea, he trained in secret to see if he could meet the KPI, it was signed off today.

Purely for the Nines and wants to finish his career in a Manly jersey - God Bless his Manly heart :heart:

He also said of Freddy 'I just want to tackle him, just one more time' :p

rmd said:
I think this is a beat up but good PR for the 9's.

He hasn't been sighted training with Manly so I doubt it very much and I think he's as much chance as Darren Lockyer claiming he might come out of retirement to ensure he keeps his number of games higher than Beaver.

I can understand why Fittler is playing for the Roosters because they want to rest their main players for the World Club Championship and just want a leader on the field but, we have no justifiable reason and I am sure Sea Eagles players would be disappointed if they missed out because of it.

balloon-deflate-o.gif

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4