Steve Matai, Kieran Foran want to join exodus from Manly Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
@Loobs the problem is that whilst you are 100% factually correct and speaking complete sense however the problem is you are not aligning with the agenda of other parties and now obsolete factions.

Now for everyone it's about time that everyone stopped finger pointing and worrying about all that other BS. This is the ownership we have, this is the structure we have and for better or worse this is the way things are.

On the topic of Matai id be sad to see him go I still remember his first game and try I was sitting directly where he picked up the ball on the fence from between the Warriors player legs( may not have been warriors). His hard attitude and amazing defense has made watching this team amazing.

However eventually all players will move on, all teams will change. Matai leaving means Hiku could move to centre where he is suited and give gutherson and others the opportunity to play in the NRL side.

Foz would be a tragic loss he is one of my favourite players but there are positives too.

The way I look at it is that whilst horrible to see anyone leave it's beyond my control and the world keeps turning.

The media turns this into a horrible circus and these guys deserve more respect than that our team does and we do.
Dan, I was pretty pissed when Orford left but the club believed in the young talent coming through and who was right? Matai has been an absolute warrior and probably the toughest guy in the game but once again, time waits for no man and the youth are knocking at the gates again. Worked out OK last time...

Good to see the "losing" side has kept a respectful silence and is doing everything they can to help move the club forward

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
Dan, I was pretty pissed when Orford left but the club believed in the young talent coming through and who was right? Matai has been an absolute warrior and probably the toughest guy in the game but once again, time waits for no man and the youth are knocking at the gates again. Worked out OK last time...

Yup exactly right

Penn was saying anything to put all the fans at ease when he took over as the one owner.
They are not as rich as they make out. Yes they have money but are not on the B R W rich list.
That covers the top 200 in Australia , no Penn on it.
I was also told that Penn has told Joe Kelly to go and ask the N R L for a 3 mill loan to help run the club. Maybe they didnt get it and Penn hasnt got the money to go after Foz and Cherry.
This would put some truth to Brent Reads story.

That would be a loose and likely incorrect conclusion to draw. NRL grants per year to each club cover their Salary Cap. The club wouldn't need to ask for additional money from the NRL, to support a players wage.

I have heard the loan thing as well (may have even been in a story somewhere) and would guess it is for off-field support staff, given the players are keen to see more resources provided to them in that area.

Depends if its it Tigers style "we're going bankrupt, HELP!" loan, or just a way of realising some income up front then repaying it as they generate it through gate and stuff during the year.

I imagine league teams have a lot of stuff to pay for early but don't really make money until the season is underway...

Tigers, Dragons and Knights all being propped up financially to stay alive....Its no secret If the NRL had not stepped Tigers and Knights definitely would have gone under.

Tigers, Dragons and Knights all being propped up financially to stay alive....Its no secret If the NRL had not stepped Tigers and Knights definitely would have gone under.

Well the Tigers per se wouldn't have gone under - the Balmain side would have. Wests are cashed up to the tits...

Here is the article being discussed in the Matai thread.

MANLY’S pre-season has been thrown into turmoil, with long-serving Kiwi centre Steve Matai seeking an immediate release from the final year of his contract at Brookvale.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Gold Coast Titans, the New Zealand Warriors and another club — believed to be Parramatta — are prepared to offer the crash-tackling 30-year-old more than $1 million over three years for what will be the final contract of his career.

They all want him immediately to play the 2015 season.

And in a further blow to the Sea Eagles, champion five-eighth Kieran Foran is on the verge of announcing he will be quitting the Sea Eagles at the end of the year.

Matai has been unhappy at Manly for several months.

Steve Matai has reportedly been unhappy at Manly for several months. Source: News Corp Australia

He is upset over the departure of decade-long teammates and close friends Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart at the end of last season.

He also believes Manly are paying him well below his market value.

New Sea Eagles boss Joe Kelly has offered Matai a two-year extension on the same money he now earns. It is nowhere near what other clubs are offering and is over a shorter term.

Kelly says he hopes to get this issue sorted as soon as possible.

“If he was to ask for an immediate release, that’s a discussion we’d have internally with our recruitment and retention committee,” Kelly said.

“I’m seeking to understand what’s going on with him moving forward.

“We’ve put an offer to him to extend but we obviously need to get some clarification.

“He’s one of a few we’d like to sort out sooner rather than later so we can focus on the upcoming season.’’

There is a thought among the players at Manly that the club should allow Matai to go because he has been such a loyal servant since 2005. In that time he has played 202 games and scored 80 tries.

By switching clubs it would allow him to set his family up for life.

Foran spoke late last year about supporting Matai’s departure, despite the fact they are extremely close.

“In Stevie’s situation I believe he has taken unders for a lot of years to stay at this club and if he can now set his family up and get a big money contract elsewhere I think the club should assess that,” Foran said.

Kieran Foran is being pursued by Parramatta, the Roosters and the Bulldogs. Source: News Corp Australia

Meanwhile, the Sea Eagles are desperately trying to convince halves Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans to sign new deals.

Foran is being chased by Parramatta, the Roosters and the Bulldogs and is unlikely to stay on the northern beaches.

Cherry Evans is more likely to remain, despite a huge offer from the Cronulla Sharks to play alongside his best mate Ben Barba.

The huge dollars needed to try to keep the halves at Brookvale is the very reason Kelly and coach Geoff Toovey can’t offer the same money rivals are offering Matai.

The Kiwi centre is refusing to comment on his plans because he is reluctant to upset teammates and fans in a public dispute so close to the start of the competition.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-season-2015-steve-matai-kieran-foran-want-to-join-exodus-from-manly-sea-eagles/story-e6frf3ou-1227190014193?sv=ddfbad8368d79f1cb0fe8c9bbb460ce9#itm_s=foxs&itm_t=home&itm_c=content-3&itm_o=20&itm_l=Fox Feed - Stars want out of Sea Eagles nest
Bump.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nrl...manly-sea-eagles/story-e6frfkp9-1227190014193

What's that buzz?

Manly Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey confident Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran will re-sign
February 18, 2015
Manly coach Geoff Toovey says he's confident of re-signing Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran but is not placing a deadline on his star halves.

Cherry-Evans met with Gold Coast Titans earlier in the week in a flying visit to the glitter strip while he is also being targeted by Parramatta when he comes off contract at the end of the year.

The Titans have reportedly tabled a big-money three-season deal worth more than $1 million per year to the Queensland and Test star in a bid to secure him as the club's marquee player.

Last year Manly had to deal with the distraction of the public contract negotiations of premiership-winning forwards Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough, who eventually departed for South Sydney and Parramatta respectively.

Toovey described Manly's preparation for their final trial against the Sydney Roosters on the Central Coast on Saturday as business as usual and was confident of retaining both of his halves.

"The sooner that it is out of the way, the better it is for everyone," he said. "I won't be putting any deadline on them but the sooner the better."

Toovey was bewildered by comments made by Watmough at Parramatta's season launch on Wednesday but he refused to pour fuel on the fire of the simmering feud between the two sides who will meet in round one.

Watmough said at the Eels launch that he was unhappy at Manly and criticised the leadership at the club. "It's good to wake up every day and want to go to training. I'm not sitting in my car, not wanting to get out, not wanting to train," Watmough said.

When asked about the comments, Toovey said: "That's just Choc and we'll get on with business. We're a very successful club here at Manly and have been for many, many years. And we'll remain successful."

Toovey has named a full strength side to take on the Roosters including Foran. He suffered a concussion in the NRL All Stars match on Friday and trained away from the main Manly playing group on Wednesday, however Toovey said it was a precaution.

Sea Eagles: Brett Stewart, Peta Hiku, Jamie Lyon, Cheyse Blair, Clinton Gutherson, Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans, Josh Starling, Matt Ballin, Willie Mason, Tom Symonds, Feleti Mateo, Dunamis Lui, Justin Horo. Interchange: Jesse Sene-Lefao, James Hasson, Blake Leary, Luke Burgess, Jayden Hodges, Tony Satini, Michael Chee Kam, Jake Trbojevic, David Williams, Brayden Wiliame, Jack Littlejohn.

AAP
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...kieran-foran-will-resign-20150218-13i13c.html

Morning all, I must fess up...my sister doesn't know Kieran's sister or anyone related to him. Like every other manly fan I was very annoyed at the trolls and constant speculation so i decided to type some of my own! Sorry for any inconvenience, I didn't expect Foran to be such a traitor!

Morning all, I must fess up...my sister doesn't know Kieran's sister or anyone related to him. Like every other manly fan I was very annoyed at the trolls and constant speculation so i decided to type some of my own! Sorry for any inconvenience, I didn't expect Foran to be such a traitor!
No worries mate

Your sister is lucky that she doesn't know Foran or his sister because they are all dicks

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6