State of Origin 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Jakey looked a bit battle scared after the game, good session in a day spa tomorrow for Jake.

The good thing is that any Origin players the Cows get back for Saturday (Holmes, Tualagi, Cotter, Nanai) will likely feel just as beat up as Jake and DCE do.

What was the point of selecting Gutho?

Guy deserves it no doubt, but.... talk about not utilising the manpower on-hand.

Fittler on shaky ground even with a dead-rubber win, surely.

Fittler admitted on Monday that he had no idea how he was going to use Gutherson beyond an injury, which is how he even got on the field with Addo-Carr having a hamstring complaint.

This was EXACTLY the same as with Nicho Hynes in Game 1. On the bench with the coach having zero clue how to use him beyond an injury replacement.

Now tonight it didn't matter because by the time Gutherson got on the field, NSW had the game won. But you can't go into games, club or representative, having no idea how you are going to use certain bench players beyond as an injury replacement. And remember, tonight NSW had Gutherson on the bench while still doing the two hooker thing with Cook and Robson.

For mine, Qld's biggest problem was that they missed Reece Walsh. AJ Brimson is a good running fullback, but that the thing ... he's a runner, not a ball player. He's not that Turbo/Walsh/Ponga style of fullback who will be both a runner and the extra 5/8. Brimson is the player the 5/8 passes to trying to run for a gap. Qld missed Walsh's ball play on both sides of the field tonight.

NSW tonight did what they ignored for Games 1 and 2. They used Addo-Carr's speed to their advantage. In Adelaide they all but ignored Turbo and Fox who were on the right edge. In Game 2 Fox was moved to the left, but still got largely ignored in attack. Tonight with Cody Walker calling the shots on the left, Fox was given room to exploit his pace and with Bradman Best getting the better of Holmes, NSW finally did what they should have been doing all series. Definitely a "What if??" moment tonight both with selection and tactics.

Did tonight's win save Fittler's job? Maybe ... but it was too little, too late wasn't it.

For mine, Qld's biggest problem was that they missed Reece Walsh.
Not as much as Harry Grant seemingly missed him mate....

Special mention to Tommy Flegler's footy-face in the background, Wish we'd got him in the 'other Maroon'.

W.png

Last edited:
Just to add to the earlier shot....

Munster knows what is going on.

So does Tino.

Corey Horsburgh is just happy to be here.

Flegler's in civvies, confused by the whole thing....

And Carrigan has NFI....but solid biceps!

QUEENSLANDER!!

1689174470501.png

1689174151816.png

1689174260199.png

1689174352531.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure walker was injured or just coming back for game 1

The most bizarre Freddy pick I thought was drinkwater as the concussion sun when he already had Gutho on the bench

Why that would not be a forward just felt like bad planning

Gee,great to see Slater has done his best to introduce Storms tactic of working the tackled player on the ground(to try to turn them back to their own goal line) and the third man flop into Qld tactics
Even better to see it didn't work last night.
Absolute crap game from the ref(Cummins?).

Cody Walker is the NSW foil to Munster. Luai has that mongrel in him too no doubt, but Walker is simply better at it.

DCE is a cleanskin to Moses/Cleary - but the niggle in Walker/Munster is well documented, and on top of that Walker has that x-factor of Munster too.

Turbo should never have been selected on form (Grahan from Souths was the logical choice) - and likewise Walker was a standout, beyond Game-1 (even tho Luai wasn't an entirely pointless selection).

Fittler's dedication to 'combinations' in some areas, and individual brilliance in others (ie Turbo/Latrell as Centres) was his ultimate undoing.
Agree Alx. Game 1, if Burton went on instead of Hynes the Blues may of won the series.
But as the saying goes "If youre Aunty had balls........"
Time for new coaching staff and selectors.

Pretty sure walker was injured or just coming back for game 1

The most bizarre Freddy pick I thought was drinkwater as the concussion sun when he already had Gutho on the bench

Why that would not be a forward just felt like bad planning
The bizarro aspect is that he picked Drinkwater for any purpose; guy is a turnstyle. In saying that, I think it's easier to cover the loss of a forward in the Origin arena. If you lose a half or outside back, you're toast. You're edges get exposed by the talent coming at you and it's hard to score points with only one threat in the halves. Gutho and Drinky can both play 1-6.

The media narrative around SOO is hilarious. Two weeks ago, QLD wrapped up the series and Fittler's head was on the chopping block. NSW win game 3, and Fittler is lauded for his masterstroke selections, the future looks bright and QLD has some soul searching to do?! Walker should have played 6 for NSW for the last 4-5 years and Murray should have been the link man in the middle; that's all on Fittler. As for QLD, they lacked the usual intensity last night and that accounts for their failings. Normal transmission will resume next year.

The media narrative around SOO is hilarious. Two weeks ago, QLD wrapped up the series and Fittler's head was on the chopping block. NSW win game 3, and Fittler is lauded for his masterstroke selections, the future looks bright and QLD has some soul searching to do?! Walker should have played 6 for NSW for the last 4-5 years and Murray should have been the link man in the middle; that's all on Fittler. As for QLD, they lacked the usual intensity last night and that accounts for their failings. Normal transmission will resume next year.
Very very hard to be “ up” and intense if you’ve already won the series.

Really not much to play for , and that really showed, QLD just went through the motions for much of the game.

I take absolutely ZERO from that win that anything will be different in 2024.

Very very hard to be “ up” and intense if you’ve already won the series.

Really not much to play for , and that really showed, QLD just went through the motions for much of the game.

I take absolutely ZERO from that win that anything will be different in 2024.
Could of fooled me, the tackling from both sides was stinging and uncompromising. Looked intense to me.

He’s just the most hateable little prick isn’t he !!
Also White seems to be following in Munster's grubby footsteps as well, when Crichton knocked the ball out of Whites hand he just went for Crichton instead of the ball. Also got pinged and rightly so for turning a player over after a completed tackle. When Bellyache finally does pull the pin, I just hope a lot of these grubby tactics from the Melb go with him.

Could of fooled me, the tackling from both sides was stinging and uncompromising. Looked intense to me.
No I’m talking about the extra desire that QLD always have , to me it wasn’t being shown last night.

Not suggesting that there was a lack of effort , but I just don’t think they were throwing everything bar the kitchen sink into last nights game, which they did in game 1 & 2.

After three series wins as captain, hopefully, DCE will retire from Origin & focus on winning a premiership for Manly.

Also, Turbo should realise he is injury prone, retire from Origin & focus on winnng a premiership for Manly.
Get what you're sayin, but footy players like DCE and Turbo like to test themselves in higher company, it's only natural for elite players to want to do this. In DCE's case since SOO1 DCE's game has gone to another level, benefiting the team immensely.

No I’m talking about the extra desire that QLD always have , to me it wasn’t being shown last night.

Not suggesting that there was a lack of effort , but I just don’t think they were throwing everything bar the kitchen sink into last nights game, which they did in game 1 & 2.
Got to give NSW credit tho, Walker, Bradman and JOC tore Qld's right side to shreds and never recovered from that moment on. Fair enough tho, we agree to disagree I guess.

Most people have forgotten that NSW were without its two best players for the series, Latrine and Turbo (played just three minutes in SOO2).
Jurbo was missing for the first two losses. When he return NSW won.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10