Squad for Sydney test

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
MacGill, Watson into Test squad, Lee out
December 30, 2004 - 1:44PM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Legspinner Stuart MacGill has been named in a 13-man Australian squad for the third cricket Test against Pakistan, in Sydney starting Sunday.

Queensland allrounder Shane Watson was also included, but fast bowler Brett Lee - the 12th man for the past seven Tests - was not included.

With the SCG wicket expected to take some spin, MacGill could be a chance to play alongside Shane Warne, having played the last of his 32 Tests in Sri Lanka in March.

Watson was rewarded with a call-up after a fine season with the Bulls.

Lee was overlooked, but at least can return to play with New South Wales after being starved of cricket of late.

Lee can now play for the Blues in the ING Cup match against Western Australia, also on Sunday.

MacGill and Watson are the only additions to the side which beat Pakistan by nine wickets at the MCG.

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said the panel felt it was time to give Lee some definite match time after a frustrating summer so far.

Advertisement
Advertisement"We felt it was unlikely Brett would be selected to play in Sydney, as the three fast bowlers currently in the XI are doing a very good job," he said.

"So in Brett's best interests, we feel it is important for him to get some solid match practice, not just for New South Wales, but also for Australia A over the next couple of weeks.

"We acknowledge that the last few months have been frustrating for him, but his attitude and work ethic have been first-class."

Hohns said Watson gave the selectors the option of playing a seamer who can also bat well.

"His inclusion in the squad certainly gives us some variety if needed," Hohns said.

"Although he has yet to play a Test, Shane has plenty of experience as part of this squad, most recently in India, so if selected, we feel that he should be able to settle in and do a job for us."

MacGill, 33, has taken 152 wickets in his 32 Tests, at an average of 29.21, with a best haul of 7-50 - at the SCG against England in the summer of 1998-99.

Australia (from): Ricky Ponting (capt), Adam Gilchrist, Michael Clarke, Jason Gillespie, Matthew Hayden, Michael Kasprowicz, Justin Langer, Darren Lehmann, Stuart MacGill, Damien Martyn, Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne, Shane Watson.

Good to see Lee can finally get back to playing cricket.

There will be no changes barring injury.

Who do Queensland play over that period. Obviously they want to knock them off the top of their perch by having their all rounder carrying drinks in Sydney.

So they wanted NSW to have no hope by getting rid of their strike bowler for most of the season.

Who are they going for??

Finally they see sense and release Lee.

From what I have seen of Watson in the ODIs I have not been impressed at all

I know what you mean kiwi but his form this year has been far and away better than before. His batting is on par for any lower order batsman and he is bowling in the low 140's.

However what gets me is Lee averages about 20 and is a bees dick off an alrounder (mostly die to growing up with his bro) but not considered an early pick. You Kiwis have shown the value in an ok bowling line up with a batting line up that bats to 10 or 11 having won about 22 from your last 24 ODI's. Not the same in tests obviously.

We all know that he can score 10 ducks in a row and still be there.

I like the we you assume that i thought he wouldnt be there.

I know what you mean kiwi but his form this year has been far and away better than before. His batting is on par for any lower order batsman and he is bowling in the low 140's.  

However what gets me is Lee averages about 20 and is a bees dick off an alrounder (mostly die to growing up with his bro) but not considered an early pick. You Kiwis have shown the value in an ok bowling line up with a batting line up that bats to 10 or 11 having won about 22 from your last 24 ODI's. Not the same in tests obviously.

I have seen he has been going OK in the 1st class stuff.
I don't like his attitude that much either from what I have seen,seems to think he is gods gift to cricket. Perfect rxample is when Astle smashed him over the covers for 6.

We have found the perfect balance in the moment for ODIs,tightish bowling,long battting and a good mix of hitters and whippets in the final overs. Have been having some fun oer at ME with the Black Caps,Cliffy GC has the comprehension of a goat,and that may even be stretching it :D

I was very dissappointed that the last game was washed out - i think out boys would have fired up for that and if you guys had kept it up it could have been one of the best ODI's for a while.

Yeah it was a shame. It is a pity now that before you guys come over here we won't have had any top level cricket for 2 months

Who do Queensland play over that period.  Obviously they want to knock them off the top of their perch by having their all rounder carrying drinks in Sydney.
Just excuse me whilst I whipe egg off my face.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4