Speed thrills !!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In my time (since 1982)....

FB - Brett Stewart
WG - Andrew Frew
CE - Dale Shearer
CE - Michael O'Connor
WG - Scott Donald

According to the book by Thomas Keneally, early in his career when he was training as a sprinter, Des Hasler did a 10.8 for the 100. This is the same as Martin Offiah's best recorded time.

From what I have heard, Snake apparently did a 10.4 early in his career at Manly training.

@BOZO ... this article would have been your wet dream lol. Speed Speed Speed.
Thanks for wetting my appetite feathered friend !

Hasn't rated a mention as an out and out sprinter which is fair enough, but over 30-40m a certain Bob Fulton at his peak had a devastating turn of pace. His speed seemed to go to another level around 1973-4, I recall going to Brookie and watching him get the ball and it always seemed almost inevitable he'd make it to the line. Maybe my memory was impressionable, being very young and awe-struck back then!
But check his second grand final try vs Sharks in 73 you'll see what I mean. He burned Rick Bourke and Steve Rogers, and both those guys had great natural speed
(at 4.50)
Great post !!! Thanks for the memories @ SeaEagleRock8

untitled.png

And if anyone doubts that

I still cant understand why Fulton let Blakey go. Sure defensively he had some problems but he easily made up for them in attack. Brilliant footballer. And might I suggest that all rugby league footballers, should play when young a couple of years of Australian Rules or soccer. It was Aussie Rules to refined Blake's kicking skills. Sad really because two of the greatest individually brilliant attacking players we had, Blakey and John Gibbs, both had fairly short lived Manly careers.

Don’t think I’ve seen a faster prop than BJ at any club

Danny wicks has that career highlighting run from dummy half when he was at the dragons but I agree that BJ has to be the fastest ‘proper prop’ I’ve seen make a break away run

Edit: Marty Lang chased down a centre in origin that infuriated me at the time. But un-like that cross field cover tackle by Scott Satler on Todd Byrne, Marty ran a straight line to chase down the blues winger or centre. I can’t think of the player he caught but I was low key impressed despite my bias towards wanting the blues to score that try

Tyson Frizzell has had 2 great chases in origin too for a forward catching backs..

Last edited:
We had a sprinter in reggies and his dad as a trainer. Maybe Austin as a surname. The chooks had a flyer on the wing about 10 - 15 years back that i think won the gift. Wasnt a bad footy player either. Cant think of his name atm

Greg Austin, he is the father of Mitch Austin Newcastle Jets

Last edited:
I still cant understand why Fulton let Blakey go. Sure defensively he had some problems but he easily made up for them in attack. Brilliant footballer. And might I suggest that all rugby league footballers, should play when young a couple of years of Australian Rules or soccer. It was Aussie Rules to refined Blake's kicking skills. Sad really because two of the greatest individually brilliant attacking players we had, Blakey and John Gibbs, both had fairly short lived Manly careers.

I think defence was basically it. Bozo usually didn't suffer those who couldn't tackle and unfortunately Blakey had those issues.

Still, when you think about it, losing Blake opened up a spot in the halves for a certain C. Lyons. Like not getting Wally Lewis around the same time, it turned into a blessing in disguise because moving Cliffy to 5/8 turned out to be a stroke of genius.

Was it zorba at dummy half?

Yep ... pretty sure it was ... against Norths we used to swap all the positions around ... you know .... play wingers at prop and 2nd rowers at halfback to give them a chance .....

Is it me or is DCE a lot like Gibbs?

In the fact that they are both opportunists and exploiters of lazy defenders definately .... but the roles of halfbacks has evolved a fair bit .... halfback was a lot less a generals game then and much more a supporter of breaks up the middle and a link ... with the inside/outside centre your 5/8 did a lot more of the creative play ..... Also in defense in that era the half usually defended as a sweeper behind the line midway to the fullback ...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7