Sooking is costing us

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

conanu

Bencher
I have started to notice a lot of our players stopping getting up slowly, looking at the ref and sooking after being held down and wrestled in tackles whilst we are on the attack. It does absolutely nothing but slow down our tempo and gift the opposition that extra few seconds to reset. They may be within their rights to be annoyed because they are getting slowed, but it is clear the refs aren't going to be manipulated into giving a 6 again, they seem to award it more when players are making an effort to just get on with it. Hate to say it but Parra do this well, they fight to get on elbows and knees then get up really quick and play the ball and they don't look back when the ref does't give the 6 again, in contrast to us who constantly look at the ref whingeing for a six again. We need to just work hard at getting up quick and playing the ball and I believe the calls will come. Sooking at the ref is doing us no favours even when we are in the right, if anything it is turning refs against giving us 6 again calls because I can remember at least 3 times hearing a ref call "milking" at us.

I have started to notice a lot of our players stopping getting up slowly, looking at the ref and sooking after being held down and wrestled in tackles whilst we are on the attack. It does absolutely nothing but slow down our tempo and gift the opposition that extra few seconds to reset. They may be within their rights to be annoyed because they are getting slowed, but it is clear the refs aren't going to be manipulated into giving a 6 again, they seem to award it more when players are making an effort to just get on with it. Hate to say it but Parra do this well, they fight to get on elbows and knees then get up really quick and play the ball and they don't look back when the ref does't give the 6 again, in contrast to us who constantly look at the ref whingeing for a six again. We need to just work hard at getting up quick and playing the ball and I believe the calls will come. Sooking at the ref is doing us no favours even when we are in the right, if anything it is turning refs against giving us 6 again calls because I can remember at least 3 times hearing a ref call "milking" at us.
Good point and agree Parramatta have it perfected .

We definitely haven't got it figured out.

I don't know what the stats are on our set restarts but my impression without the stats (are the stats published?) are the opposition gets marched up field at critical times when we aren't

We need to put it under the microscope and control what we can - on paper a team with our strike power should be benefiting from these rules, not struggling to make an impact

Mate, Klein killed us tonight.
The Broncs were offside all game which I thought contributed to our crappy attack at times.
Two tacklers and the call of held but he let them put us on the deck after the call.
No wonder we were frustrated.

The Broncs were offside all game which I thought contributed to our crappy attack at times.
Two tacklers and the call of held but he let them put us on the deck after the call.

I totally agree...but this is Manly and it is normal. Our champion teams learned to accept it, relish it and get on with it.

The most important thing this team hasn't learned yet... coz it will never change.

This is Des' job.

Geeze, you guys really are one-eyed.
We won the penalties 12-2. We receive a very harsh penalty against Brisbane which put us two points ahead. Klein gave us six-again more times that he did the opposition.
I don't think there was a penalty for offside all night, and we were just as guilty in this respect as the Donkeys.
I suggest we all thank our lucky stars for that win tonight because we "got the rub of the green" as Des alluded to last week when it went against us.

It's a mentally weak squad. Have been for years. It's something I thought Des would improve as soon as he arrived. But it taking some time.
I think the opposite. 5 days ago they fought back from a 16 point deficit against a tough opponent and did enough to snatch a big win. This time they fought back from 18 nil against a reinvigorated Broncos to win the game.
Despite being tired, clearly flat energy-wise, and missing some big players.
That showed real mental toughness I thought!

I think the opposite. 5 days ago they fought back from a 16 point deficit against a tough opponent and did enough to snatch a big win. This time they fought back from 18 nil against a reinvigorated Broncos to win the game.
Despite being tired, clearly flat energy-wise, and missing some big players.
That showed real mental toughness I thought!
Complacency and 5 day turnaround, that was the factors tonight.

No doubt you are spot on and I recall a crusher on Garrick, Milford a shoulder charge and 2-3 times they raked it out and got the ball back after being held, but there's more to it....the Brisbane side had energy and were full of life, while Manly took a while to "wake up" and this will lead to many decision going to the "enthusiastic" side, which for 35 minutes when these calls happened - Brisbane were that team .... at this time Manly players were looking for that easy way out, instead of rolling up the sleeves and making it happen...so the Sook stuff is fairly valid...
Once Manly livened up, the calls were far better and even when they were not....you didn't notice to much, because Manly decided to compete...and in the end were rewarded for just that as the only way to lose tonight was to be out enthused and we nearly were..

Last edited:

I call that the Peta Hiku play.

Chez gets a couple of these a game, finds his front and earns a quick ptb only to have his ankle grabbed and denied the opportunity. I think the reaction is reflexive and the defence has already got what they wanted. He is 100% justified to give the ref a death stare. Does it ever do us any good... definitely not.

Geeze, you guys really are one-eyed.
We won the penalties 12-2. We receive a very harsh penalty against Brisbane which put us two points ahead. Klein gave us six-again more times that he did the opposition.
I don't think there was a penalty for offside all night, and we were just as guilty in this respect as the Donkeys.
I suggest we all thank our lucky stars for that win tonight because we "got the rub of the green" as Des alluded to last week when it went against us.

Was just about to post the same thing.

12-2 in our favour and a run of 7 straight in the second half giving us all the ball.

Things fell in our favour from a refs viewpoint this week.

100% agree. The second half was different and we were getting lots of penalties but imo the only way they stayed in was through the constant infringing. We got s heap of bad calls in the first half, not unlike last week.

I am not saying we aren't hard done by with the rub of the green, sometimes we are. My issue is that the time & momentum wasted whilst a player is getting up to play the ball looking back at the ref whinging for a penalty costs us that second that we may catch a slow defender. If we delay it means the tactic of the opposition defenders definitely worked. We have to be smarter and just play flat out. If someone needs to appeal to the refs let DCE do it.

I was thinking that all game. HTF did they get to us so quickly. Could not have been onside. You could even hear the little Manly crowd on one stage yell 'get 'em onside'. Starting to think some of the camera angles deliberately don't show if a team's offside.
Another thing the donkeys did repeatedly last night was the controlled lifting tackles. IMO this shouldn't be allowed. They were careful not to lift our boys too high but repeatedly Lodge and Co would lift our players off the ground, turn them and then crash down on top of them.
Not happy Klien.

I think most teams do the same sooking thing with the refs.Des has been whinging about sides slowing down the play since last year.Ever notice how we slow it also most games.

Kudos to Broncos coach Seibold last night in the presser

When asked about the disallowed try just before half time, he said it was probably a fair call. If you have big back rowers running into halfs, you probably deserve to get penalised.
Very honest and very fair considering some of the calls that went against the Broncs.
I wish more coaches were not so one eyed. Like Brad Arthurs last week, ergh didn't really see the Turbo pass!!

Certainly no sooking from Seilbold last night.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4