Something for a laugh

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Sydney clubs ready to trial Twenty20 rugby
Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | May 26, 2009

RUGBY'S version of cricket's Twenty20 - in which players leave the field during a game to create space and attacking opportunities - will be trialled soon at Sydney club level.

Former Australian and NSW Rugby Union chairman Dilip Kumar is pushing the proposal and is organising two high-profile Sydney premiership clubs to play a trial of what has been termed Rugby's 20-13 in August, during the bye weekend in the Shute Shield competition. In the game, two players from each team would be excluded for a 20-minute period in each half.

Former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones originally threw up the idea, as a 20-12 game, in a Brisbane newspaper column a few weeks ago where he explained that rugby spectators were desperate for a "quick fix similar to Twenty20 in cricket".

"If you remember any game when two players have been sent to the sin bin from one team, the amount of space available to the non-offending team is immense," Jones wrote. "With one more body off, players would have more time and space to operate in attack, but in a structure that resembles a game of XVs. I'd still operate scrums and lineouts.

"Think of it 40 minutes of non-stop, fluid attack, two games at the one ground. Spectators would flock."

Kumar thought the idea had great merit and immediately contacted other officials to see if there was any interest in it. He received a strong response, with many complaining how the code had become defence-orientated and that attacking football had been stifled through lack of space. He then contacted club officials to organise a game, from which all proceeds will go to a charity.

It will still need some tinkering. Interest was higher in the 20-13 idea, with two rather than three players leaving the field for 20-minute stretches each half.

"I think it is a brilliant idea, and well worth a trial to see if it actually works," Kumar said yesterday. "What we are thinking of doing during the trial match is even having power-plays, where the captain of each team decides on the field when exactly they play the 20 minutes per half with two less players. People are looking at change, and keep harking back to the last World Cup final in 2007 where no tries were scored. Why not attempt to make the game more entertaining by enticing teams to attack and score tries."

----------------------------------------------------------------

They are only 100 years late with the idea hahaha

hahahaha

So what they are doing is creating a shortened game of Rugby league instead of Rugby....
Their product sucks and they know it

They are also thinking of having a six team semi final series with two spots reserved for each country.  No mention of getting there on merit.  Atrocious and laughable.  Union is on the way down.  This twenty twenty thing will not attract crowds.  It's just 7 a side with a few more on the field.  If they played 7 a side as a serious comp, crowds would not flock.  Fans want to see the struggle, not higgildy piggildy stuff.  They don't quite know what they want, and how to get there is my view and their product stinks.  

Great innovation from the rugby boys.  And if it works they should extend it so the two players are off for an additional twenty minutes per half, so forty minutes per half in total. Call it 40-13.

Then to speed up the game maybe the ruck and mauls might be simplified to allow the tackled player to play the ball backwards with his legs and because the best action in rugby occurs with sustained possession, allow the team in possession say six plays before possession is automatically surrendered.And seeing as how the lineouts are dangerous and messy, maybe they could be replaced with scrums.  And ...

I like the increasing professionalism of the rugby administrators.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4