Slaters latest kick.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How many weeks will Slater get?

• 0 weeks

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • 1 week

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • 3 weeks plus

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
No a fan of Mick Ennis at all but there was a point in the second half where the Dogs received a penalty and tried to take a quick tap and were stopped by the ref as Cam Smith was complaining to him.

Ennis rightly pointed out that the game shouldn't be stopped to accommodate an explanation of every penalty to Smith.

Ridiculous situation and Smith should be told to pull his head in.

Brookie said:
he should get none IMO (even tho he a grubby c*nt)
reasons being:
he wasn't looking at the player, ball only
he often does that with his feet when jumping for a ball (think he kicked his own player once?)
cam smith was right, contact on slater was made in the air, if klemmer had have timed it better he would not have been kicked in the air
should have been a penalty to slater

I couldn't care less if he gets suspended or not, Klemmer and Des said there was no intent but to say Klemmer should have been penalised for tackling in the air is off the mark.

First point of contact was Slater's boot in Klemmers head/shoulder.

If Klemmer jumped to contest the ball he still would have copped a kick to the head.

Are players meant to now stay legs length away from Slater until he lands and not contest the ball.

He has carry over points for Dangerous Contact already.
They have to send him for a few weeks.

The East Side shots show him looking at the Player who is about to be kicked.
The Dogs Player was not tackling him, as he could not get past the legs of Slater.

The action of leading with the leg was made illegal after the 2008 GF where Slater was a serial offender :mad::

Dangerous contact with the head. In soccer he'd get 6 weeks FFS. Klemperer didn't want to take his legs out he wanted to smash him once he landed.
With his record he should get 3 but ill say 1 week.

Slater said after match that he was "protecting himself" intent was there, he should not have been playing after nearly knocking Winterstein out last week with a head high tackle, grubby grub

I hate the bloke more than anything,, but there is nothing in that at all, shouldn't have even been a penalty. It is a regular technique these days to catch the bomb with the leg raised

If Klemmer wasn't charging through and about to tackle him mid-air, then he wouldn't have got the boot. His fault, if Slater didn't have his boot out he would've been cleaned up mid-air.

Zero weeks. Klemmer was acting like he was about to die until he received the penalty.

As many of my work mates can confirm, I hate Billy Slater with a passion, but in this instance, I think it was completely accidental. At worst you might give him a week because it was careless and he has form, but 1 week max.

Nothing wrong with it. A few players in the league leap like that and it is very much common place in the AFL as well. Accidents happen and it certainly wouldn't make sense to deliberately kick a bloke like that. Honestly, other than time off, what would Slater really achieve? The internet thinking it was a ploy to take out an opposing player doesn't gel for me. The players are smart enough to know how many cameras are on them these days and a flying karate kick is hardly flying under the radar.

He should get nothing but I can could of see the point in giving him a week. Anything more than that is ludicrous.

I don't think intentional but at the least it's contact with the head. It depends on what he is charged with, early guilty plea and carry over points.

If he's charged with grade 1 kicking it's 2 weeks + carry over points - early plea.

If it's grade 1 striking its 1 week + carry over points - early plea.

If it's dangerous conduct it's 1 week + carry over points - early plea.

I would think dangerous conduct grade 1. 100 points. 1 week. -25 for early plea. + carry over points. 1 week at most.

I don't understand how people can claim raising your leg in this manner is an acceptable method of contesting the ball in the air (regardless of RL, RU, AFL or Soccer). Raising one leg and bending your knee and keeping it close to your body ....yes. Raising a leg and sticking it our perpindicular to your body......NO WAY. Not only does it throw you off balance and make your landing very difficult, its only intent can be to deter opposition from contesting the ball for fear of copping a boot....just like last night. I don't want to see that style of bomb catching become common place, because it is cynical and against the spirit of the game (pretty much sums up Billy Slater though). Fullbacks have been offered the protection of the rules of the game by outlawing tackles in the air, they don't need to resort to this.

As for the "he wasn't looking at the player so it couldn't have been intentional" defence. Please... that would last about 5 secs in the court of common sense. Slater knew what he was doing when he threw his leg out, he doesn't have to be looking. All that shows is that he didn't have a definitive target in mind. It's like saying lobbing a grenade over your shoulder is not intentional because I didn't see where it landed.

Oh and P.S It doesn't matter whether he was protecting himself, all full backs do it or it was simply accidental. It's contact with the head and that's all that matters.

Chip and Chase said:
I don't understand how people can claim raising your leg in this manner is an acceptable method of contesting the ball in the air (regardless of RL, RU, AFL or Soccer). Raising one leg and bending your knee and keeping it close to your body ....yes. Raising a leg and sticking it our perpindicular to your body......NO WAY. Not only does it throw you off balance and make your landing very difficult, its only intent can be to deter opposition from contesting the ball for fear of copping a boot....just like last night. I don't want to see that style of bomb catching become common place, because it is cynical and against the spirit of the game (pretty much sums up Billy Slater though). Fullbacks have been offered the protection of the rules of the game by outlawing tackles in the air, they don't need to resort to this.

As for the "he wasn't looking at the player so it couldn't have been intentional" defence. Please... that would last about 5 secs in the court of common sense. Slater knew what he was doing when he threw his leg out, he doesn't have to be looking. All that shows is that he didn't have a definitive target in mind. It's like saying lobbing a grenade over your shoulder is not intentional because I didn't see where it landed.

Well said C&C. If this becomes normal what will follow?

This is all part of the game, accidents happen, we banned the shoulder charge after the Inglis/Young incident, are we now going to ban a high take for a bomb just in case there could be a connect with another player's head?.

Slater has to be charged with dangerous contact to the head.

Reasons:

Klemmer did not tackle slater in the air. If you think someone would try and tackle someone by facebutting the studs of a player you must be the world leader in that technique and have brain damage.

Klemmer may have tackled slater in the air (had he not been kicked in the face) but still had a metre to go before a tackle would have been made. Slater would not have hovered in the air and may have hit the ground by then. Looked to me like the timing would have been pretty good.

A swinging arm that misses the head does not = a penalty, one that hits does. Same goes here, contact with the head = penalty, the ones that miss do not.

As for the soccer players arms out to balance defence, well hit someone in the head and you get a card, hit someone with studs and you get a red card.

He moved his leg to make contact. If his leg remaines the same the whole time I would cop it but that isnt what happened. He deliberately made contact in my opinion

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6