Slater Vs Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

conanu

Bencher
I just found it funny how everyone involved at Storm and the Media are hoping Billy Slater can return to form after a long injury layoff even with Munster waiting in the wings. As for poor old Snake the media and some Manly fans are almost hoping Snake will fail and give it away because he is past it and Trebojevic is there to replace him. Very different attitudes indeed. I personally hope he has a 2017 swan song!

Exactly. Hate seeing the treatment Snake is getting. Everyone is forgetting the last decade. He should not be forced out. Manly gave him this contract. Honour and let him play. If he is injury free he will not let us down. One of the reasons i will not renew. The club the way it has been treating our former/current greats is un Manly like. Destroying loyalty and the culture that has been created for so long.

Exactly. Hate seeing the treatment Snake is getting. Everyone is forgetting the last decade. He should not be forced out. Manly gave him this contract. Honour and let him play. If he is injury free he will not let us down. One of the reasons i will not renew. The club the way it has been treating our former/current greats is un Manly like. Destroying loyalty and the culture that has been created for so long.
I think most fans would agree that if he was injury free and 75% as quick as he used to be, we would want him there. The fact is that he has chronic injuries which means it's unlikely he will have a positive influence in the team. I don't think anyone is being disrespectful of Snake or what he has done, rather, people understand it's just his time to move on. I would love to see him stay with the club in some capacity but to have him running around at 60% just to give him a farewell season is stupid.

Apart from Tooves who's been treated badly? Idiots like Foz and Choc bolted for cash. Killer retired.

All the opinions I have heard expressed about Snake are 100% correct assuming that the assumptions that were made regarding his fitness to arrive at the opinion ...... are correct.

For me the reason is I saw him on the field last year jogging around looking like he had no interest being there, minimal effort in defense just making up the numbers. Storm fans haven't seen that of Slater, wonder if they'd feel differently if they had??

Apart from Tooves who's been treated badly? Idiots like Foz and Choc bolted for cash. Killer retired.

I have bumped into a certain individual who works at the club during a job i was doing. He told me theres more to the story that i dont really want to make public. Theres just more to the story about Stewart.. Matai and even Lyon's "retirement". It happened early last season with quite a few players that were told would not be required.

Call me old fashioned but i believe this club has had so much success due to the culture that was created. Its not whether Stewart can be fit 100% or not.. its how we treat them. We had so much loyalty over the years that players stayed for unders. The Glenn Stewart saga was the start of the downfall. Not even offering the guy a contract? For some of the dross that came through the following season was astounding to me.

We have the likes of Buhrer and Ballin forced out.. now Brett Matai and Lyon. "Manly men". I get they are aging but there is away to do it. The way this club has handled this generation has been a spectacular fail in my book. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. For me.. it is sad the way it has all played out. Watmough and Foran left due to the lack of loyalty shown to G Stewart. The way we are treating the other players.. just goes to show Manly has just joined the other clubs and run everything like a business. Destroying loyalty and our culture in the process. Who will teach that to the next breed? Wonder what the Turbos will be thinking when they get closer to the end of their careers.. May as well leave for more money as Manly will just shaft me anyway when they want to. Loyalty is a two way street and i think we showed our hands with the way things have been dealt.

Club to me feels different. Will always support the club but the light has faded. Its not the Manly i grew up with. What made us different to the rest. I may be in a minority but its the way i feel.

I have bumped into a certain individual who works at the club during a job i was doing. He told me theres more to the story that i dont really want to make public. Theres just more to the story about Stewart.. Matai and even Lyon's "retirement". It happened early last season with quite a few players that were told would not be required.

Call me old fashioned but i believe this club has had so much success due to the culture that was created. Its not whether Stewart can be fit 100% or not.. its how we treat them. We had so much loyalty over the years that players stayed for unders. The Glenn Stewart saga was the start of the downfall. Not even offering the guy a contract? For some of the dross that came through the following season was astounding to me.

We have the likes of Buhrer and Ballin forced out.. now Brett Matai and Lyon. "Manly men". I get they are aging but there is away to do it. The way this club has handled this generation has been a spectacular fail in my book. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. For me.. it is sad the way it has all played out. Watmough and Foran left due to the lack of loyalty shown to G Stewart. The way we are treating the other players.. just goes to show Manly has just joined the other clubs and run everything like a business. Destroying loyalty and our culture in the process. Who will teach that to the next breed? Wonder what the Turbos will be thinking when they get closer to the end of their careers.. May as well leave for more money as Manly will just shaft me anyway when they want to. Loyalty is a two way street and i think we showed our hands with the way things have been dealt.

Club to me feels different. Will always support the club but the light has faded. Its not the Manly i grew up with. What made us different to the rest. I may be in a minority but its the way i feel.
Fair point mate but I really do think that if Lyon, Matai and Snake's bodies were up to it, they would be playing on. Glenny was shafted and it was the wrong call but the club did (IMO) learn from that mistake. If Matai/Snake can physically compete with the young blokes then I am sure the club would want them to play. Snake was about 60% fit last season by the looks of him.. Can't carry someone in this sport.

Y' know somethin?
We are just gonna have to get used to it.
this is a BUSINESS - it is NOT A CLUB anymore.

Fair point mate but I really do think that if Lyon, Matai and Snake's bodies were up to it, they would be playing on. Glenny was shafted and it was the wrong call but the club did (IMO) learn from that mistake. If Matai/Snake can physically compete with the young blokes then I am sure the club would want them to play. Snake was about 60% fit last season by the looks of him.. Can't carry someone in this sport.
Yeah i agree 100%. I just dont like the way the club has handled it all. 4-5 weeks into a season.. telling contracted players you are not needed. Writing off the season. Management is really poor.

Loaded Dog. I agree. We were different though. We had a culture of loyalty and success. Threw that out the window and became a business too. Way of the times..

The thing about Slater is he can still run...something pretty important when playing RL...

Snake on the other hand is being forced into retirement because he can barely run on those knees anymore. Just because they are both fullbacks and are both coming back from injury, you are comparing apples and oranges...two very different circumstances. If Snake could physically still play I imagine he would but i've been reliably informed that he can't.

I do however agree that Snake has been vilified by a few posters who prefer to assume that he is a spineless sulking cheating sook when he absolutely is not.

Toovey, Ballin, Buhrer, Donny Singe. Just to name a few. But hey **** them its a business, no room for sentimental bull**** around this club. Onwards and upwards

**** the bastards for sacking Ray Ritchie straight after taking them to a Grandfinal .... never did that in my day. And yeah, Fatty Vautin deserved to be told to piss off after captaining us in a Grandfinal win.

wouldn't see that sh1t happening back when we had culture!

**** the bastards for sacking Ray Ritchie straight after taking them to a Grandfinal .... never did that in my day. And yeah, Fatty Vautin deserved to be told to piss off after captaining us in a Grandfinal win.

wouldn't see that sh1t happening back when we had culture!
It's true.

Maybe things haven't been handled so well, but there was more than a whiff of the players acting as though they ran the club, in my view. That type of situation can't be allowed to continue.

It's true.

Maybe things haven't been handled so well, but there was more than a whiff of the players acting as though they ran the club, in my view. That type of situation can't be allowed to continue.

Yeah, once trust was lost on both sides it just all went pear shaped ... nobody was a winner. I am sure in years to come there will be conflicting views given in memoirs.

Really hard to compare the two situations. Slaters injuries haven't been ongoing for years and years, and Snakes injuries really diminish his ability.

I don't think 95 percent of us don't want and in fact wish for, a Brett Stewart close to the top of his game. I mean who wouldn't? As I've always said, a fit firing Snake is the difference between being in the Semis and being a genuine Title threat. But I think a lot of us have seen what has happened over the past couple of years and have seen his physical decline. Whilst we wish it wasn't so, we also see reality. And as the great Boba Fett once said ' reality doesn't care if you believe in it'

As others have said time marches on, and if we are to be succesful we need to weigh up nostalgia with reality.

Y' know somethin?
We are just gonna have to get used to it.
this is a BUSINESS - it is NOT A CLUB anymore.
If you don't run it like a business you also don't have a club anymore . Times have changed we are not living in 1947 . Wake up !!!It is 2017.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2